Oct. 9 TBD
    Oct. 16 TBD
    Oct. 23 @ Southern Utah
    Oct. 30 @ Cal Poly
    Nov. 6 UC Davis
    Nov. 13 @ North Dakota State
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Football schedules, 2009 and beyond

Just wondering how your going to work those schedules if we get into the gateway in 2008? Seems like a little change of schedules will be needed

Comment

Well, if D-1AA adds a 12th game the 2009 schedule could actually fit 7 of the 8 conference games into the schedule and the 2010 schedule could fit in all 8 since a couple of the (new) Gateway teams are already included.  However, our available dates might not fit with everybody elses.  I suspect that one of two things would have to occur.  1)  We play less than a full conference schedule until current contracts are fulfilled.  This could make it difficult to compete for a conference title, or 2)  We buy out some of the current contracts to make room on the schedule.

It has been said that the current Gateway schools have a hard time scheduling non-conference games.  If any of them would pick up our current contracts with current GWFC schools or any of the others it could make the buy-outs a bit easier to swallow.

Comment

If we leave the Great West, wouldn't the games with Cal Poly, SUU and UCDavis go away.  That is what happen to us when N Colorado left the conference.  Of course we could then contract for them again if there was room on the schedule.  It this is the case there shouldn't be any problem for 2009 and beyond even with an 11 game schedule.  If that is the case we would need a 12 game schedule in 2008 or need to buy out a game.

Comment

I think 2008 is already a 12-game schedule due to the extra Saturday betweeen Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Besides, the NCAA may still approve a 12-game schedule for I-AA/FCS football. I'm sure that some of these contracts have clauses that call for buyouts/postponements if conference affiliations change.

Comment

Here's how I see it:

4 home Gateway conference games
            4 away Gateway conference games

1 home vs. non-conference DIAA power (UC-Davis or Poly, Montana schools)
            1 road vs. non-conference DIAA power (UC-Davis, Poly, Montana schools)

1 road vs. DIA BCS school (Iowa / St., Nebraska, Minnesota)

11 total games

or

4 home Gateway conference games
            4 road Gateway conference games

2 home non-conference games vs. DIAA power (Davis, Poly, Montana schools)

1 road vs. DIA BCS school (Iowa / St., Nebraska, Minnesota)

11 total games

I'm not so sure USD/UND will be quickly added to our schedule. And, it won't be on the road or in Sioux Falls. The ONLY place we play USD once in the Gateway is in Brookings (at least for 3 or so years).

Comment

Assuming the Gateway even becomes a reality (big assumption), I think we need to consider a couple of lower caliber teams on the schedule. Not saying we shouldn't play the best all the time but maybe we shouldn't. The financial, recruiting, and exposure benefit of the IA game makes it a mainstay in the schedule. If we remain at 11 games I favor a couple of mid-level teams (similar to us) as opposed to top 25 teams week in and week out.

All of this is premature, of course, but its interesting to ponder.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm guessing that I-AA/FCS will eventually adopt a 12-game schedule because of the money and the I-A/Bowl division's ability to schedule one I-AA team every year. Getting six home games is almost impossible now if a team schedules a I-A guarantee game, has a full (eight-game) conference schedule, and wants to play quality non-conference opponents.

With a 12-game schedule and if SDSU joins the Gateway, the schedule template would probably look like this:

four home conference games (with a predictable and regular Hobo Day date)
                four away conference games

one away guarantee game against a I-A (those Big 10 and Big 12 schools nearby)
                one home guarantee game against a regional D-2, non-schollie, or low-level I-AA team (Augie, Winona, etc.)
                one away game against a power I-AA team (Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Delaware, La. teams, Montana, etc.)
                one home game against a power I-AA team (Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Delaware, La. teams, Montana, etc.)

One of the drawbacks of the joining the Gateway is that we lose much of the flexibility in scheduling some of the teams that we may want to play. The pros still outweigh the cons, though......

Comment

Stig and Terry ( http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/ under Football Familiarity)made a huge point about moving to a large league like the Gateway. The basically said it's hard to prepare for new teams each year, where league games are much easier to prepare for. Examples that Terry gave were the difference in scores between the blowouts at Georgia Southern and Cal Davis and the scores in the following years. Granted, SDSU had played UC Davis in the past.

Given that, it makes the what the team and coaches done this year even more amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                    Assuming the Gateway even becomes a reality (big assumption), I think we need to consider a couple of lower caliber teams on the schedule.  Not saying we shouldn't play the best all the time but maybe we shouldn't.  The financial, recruiting, and exposure benefit of the IA game makes it a mainstay in the schedule.  If we remain at 11 games I favor a couple of mid-level teams (similar to us) as opposed to top 25 teams week in and week out.

All of this is premature, of course, but its interesting to ponder.
                    I'm not opposed to this line of thinking either.  But, I wouldn't want to drop down a division unless absolutely neccessary (I know your not suggesting that, but, 1 post below yours it is-albeit with a 12 game schedule which makes a difference).  Maybe scheduling a home game vs. USD in November could solve our November attendence problem.  No doubt it'll draw well with both SDSU fans and traveling USD fans.  What I do like about playing IAA powers (Montana's, Poly, Davis) is the general fan already is getting to know these teams and can identify with them.  The average SDSU fan didn't know that probably the best program in IAA came to Brookings last year (Georgia Southern).

You're right, all good and interesting points to ponder...

Comment

I also would like to see us stay away from lower division teams, especially with what happened this year. However, if it must be, at least we could stay at DII.

Comment

Just think. In 2009 we could be playing the soon to be 09' Music City Bowl Champions!

Glen Mason sucks.

Comment

I am just wondering why the Gophers don't have you listed on their 2009 schedule. I see they have Nov. 14th open but also they have 11 games scheduled already.

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSel...;Q_SEASON=2009

Comment

I'm not sure, but the new coach might have something to say about future schedules. Mason was known for his cupcake schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                              I'm not sure, but the new coach might have something to say about future schedules. Mason was known for his cupcake schedules.  
                              After listening to quite a few Brewster interviews in Minneapolis recently I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers cancel the game in 2009. Brewster has stated numerous times that he doesn't approve of the Gophers previous non-conference schedules.
                              “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                              X