THE NEW NCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE NEW NCC

This might just be rumor, but has anyone in SD heard about a NCC that consists of these 10 teams?

UND USD
    SCSU UN-Kearney
    Mankato Concordia St. Paul
    UMD Winona State
    Augustana UNO

THE NSIC is expecting more schools to join the NCC, and therefore have started looking for replacements.

Re: THE NEW NCC

I would think Northern State and Southwest State would
    get consideration before Concordia or Winona.

Comment

UN-Kearney would be the natural replacement for UNO if they bolt for the Missouri conf. I agree that Northern-SD and SW Minn. St. would be better fits for the NCC. Winona and Bemidji would also become more attractive to the NCC, if the NSIC is going to start being the "entry" level D2 conf. (Upper Iowa, Concordia, various UM satellite schools) moving up from NAIA. There would also be some better rivalrys with northern/usd/und that maybe could be established.

Comment

I think we will see a lot of realignment with the NCC/NSIC in the next couple of years as the damage is repaired by the D1 departures and the probable (my opinion) departure by und. I think the 2 conferences will do a lot of horse trading with each other. I would think, or hope, the NCC remains the powerhouse for the future. UM-Duluth, SCSU, Minnesota St. could prove to be the new teams to beat.

Comment

I agree that UND will make the move and sooner than people think. I still think we could have had quite a D1AA conference if the entire NCC with the exception of Augie had moved with us. I also think UMD Duluth could have made the leap with their committment to athletics and facilities. I had heard that they seemed warm to the idea when SDSU was touting the move as a conference. I see a blended NCC/NSIC conference in the future.

Comment

Kearney has repeatedly said they do not want to increase athletic costs and currently funds scholarships below the DII maximum. They have a proud tradition,great fan support and are competitive in every sport. They have a great rivalary going with UNO and many times come out on top. I think they are the #1 Best option for the NCC, but they don't seem currently interested in the NCC as they feel they would incur more costs?

Comment

I believe that UN-Kearney keeps getting brought up because it would be a great fit for UNO. It is wishful thinking. The NCC is scared to death that UNO will bolt for the MIAA.

The MIAA talks openly about wanting UNO to replace the University of Missouri-Rolla when it moves down a class. At that point all bets would be off as far as the NCC goes.

I believe like most of you that UND is going to move up, I think they are already starting to feel the heat, see today's Grand Forks Herald article. Combine UND and UNO leaving and you see the formation of the NSNCICC.

Can anyone say "iceberg dead ahead!"

Go SDSU!

Comment

I'm certainly not overjoyed in the demise of the NCC, but
                I do think under Commissioner Mike Marcil's watch he had an opportunity to take a leadership role in convincing the NCC to move up and he chose to keep with the status quo. Now granted he was probably doing what the majority of his constituients were demanding and that is to stay DII. I think Marcil and leadership at the other member institutions clearly underestimated the resolve of Pres Miller and Dr Oien to move the jacks where they rightly belong. Some of my best athletic spectator memories was attending the Holiday Basketball Tournament in Sioux Falls. This was a fabulous event that displayed all the teams in the conference. I know the teams tired of playing each other so much and with the post conference tournament it went away. I recall Cerci Mahone and Steve Brown having some big games for the Jacks at this tournament. Anyone else have any fond Holiday Basketball Tournament memories?

Comment

If I can stick with the Titanic analogy it is sad to see the grand lady in distress. However no one tried harder to keep her out of harms way then SDSU. We have been saying all along that the NCC had no business being in those ice infested waters (in case your not sure the iceberg is the watered down D II) and tried taking here to warmer water (D I/I AA). OK enough with that.

I too have fond memories of the Holiday Tournament. It was like a grow up State A. The D I Conference Tournaments have that same feel. They also have a berth to the NCAA big dance as the prize. I am looking forward to being a part of that!

Go SDSU!

Comment

Working...
                  X