D1 Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 Recruiting

I realize NDSU got a jump on us in recruiting D1 athletes, but I hope we start seeing some announcements of athletes who have committed to SDSU that would not have done so if not for the announcement in August to move up. I know on the Basketball side we recieved committments from 4 all-state Iowa players who were on the bubble between D1 and D2. I think we also picked up some players in football that fit that category. It seems the Bison are spending more time than usual recruiting in the Twin Cities. The Jacks have had some success in the Twin cities in football, however mostly outstate kids from small schools. In Basketball, we have seen very few Minnesota kids on the roster. I also would like to see the Jacks starting to pick up some of these top athletes in South Dakota that are making commitments to outstate D1 programs. I guess if you have a chance to play with an esstablished in the Big 10 or Big 12 you can hardly blame a kid from making a committment. reducing the post-season ban to 5 years would be huge.

Re: D1 Recruiting

From my posting on D2Football, I got acquainted with a parent of Winona State player. This parent was from St Charles Illionios, Northwest suburbs of Chicago and I met him for breakfast before the Winona Game. This parent was telling me that the only offer his son got was from Winona State. This kid was good, No 17 if you want to find out who I am talking about. The parent also told me that he thought SDSU would be wise to start looking and recruiting in the Chicago area. He said their are a ton of good athletes that get no offers at all. They jumped with the Winona offer, because thats the only one they got. There are a number of metro areas that we are going to have to look at like we have never have before. If we have scholarship dollars to offer, these kids will come and suffer through the harsh winters if thats what it takes. Sooner or later we will be going to Chicago and Texas and places like that.

Comment

The thing I like about recruiting in Minneapolis/St Paul,Wisconsin,Chicago,Omaha is that these are kids used to the harsh winters and will not use that as an excuse. I think where Brookings and SDSU are at a dissadvantage when recruiting inner-city kids is the lack of minorities at SDSU and the Brookings community. I know other institutions have the same dilemma. NDSU being in Fargo and in a city with more options may experience this challenge less. There was an article about the lack of minority's at SDSU in the recent addition of the SDSU Collegian .

Comment

NDSU went into Chicago and came out with six good FB recruits this year.

Comment

Working...
        X