• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD's hunt for a new AD

Here is an Argus Leader Story about the canidates for the AD job;

4 finalists chosen for AD post at USD
    From Staff Reports

published: 10/16/2003

VERMILLION - The University of South Dakota announced four finalists for the vacant athletic director position on Wednesday.

Following a review of 38 applicants, a nine-person search committee headed by Julie Greenfield, has named D. Joe Moeller, San Diego, Calif.; Joel Nielsen, Colorado Springs, Colo.; Dr. Alfonso Scandrett, Jr., Greensboro, N.C.; and Eric Schoh, Bakersfield, Calif.; as finalists for the position.

Former athletic director Kelly Higgins resigned in June. Greg Redlin, the vice president for finance and administration, has supervised the athletic department since then.

The candidates will be brought to USD on Oct. 27-28 for interviews with the search committee, as well as athletic staff and coaches.

• D. Joe Moeller, who was a co-captain for the 1991 USD men's basketball team, is the only alumnus among the candidates. He is the senior associate athletic director for external relations at San Diego State University. He worked as an associate director of development at USD (1991-93), director of alumni and development at Northeast Missouri State (1993-95) and senior director of development at Arizona State (1995-2000).

• Joel Nielsen is athletic director at Colorado College in Colorado Springs, Colo., a Division I hockey power that is Division III in other sports. Nielsen, a 1986 graduate of Minnesota State, is a former assistant football coach for the Mavericks. He has served as an assistant A.D. at Illinois State, a sports marketing director for the Hyatt Corporation, associate A.D. at Wake Forest, and also worked as a director of a University Licensing Program and a special events coordinator.

• Eric Schoh is the associate athletic director for development at California State-Bakersfield. Schoh who has bachelor and master's degrees from Iowa State, was an associate A.D. at USD from 1998 to 2002. He has was assistant athletic director at Montana State from 1995-97 and regional director of D.D. Marketing, Inc., in Pueblo, Colo., during 1997-98.

• Alfonso Scandrett, Jr. is currently an athletic consultant in marketing and promotions and an adjunct professor at Winston Salem State University. He was director of athletics and assistant professor at North Carolina A&T State in Greensboro, N.C., from 1999-2002. He earned a Ph.D. from Oregon in 1993 in health sciences and epidemiology. He was an associate A.D. for student services at Texas Tech (1994-97) and director of athletics at Buffalo State (1997-99).

Two of the four have USD ties, I think it is interesting that they made a big deal about Joel Nielsen being the AD at Colorado College "a Division I hockey power. . ." Good luck to whoever gets the job, he is going to need it.

Go SDSU, D I all the way! ;D

Re: USD's hunt for a new AD

I guess I am going to have to dig out my old basketball programs as I draw a blank with Moeller. Not that he is not qualified. All of the candidate look to be capable, but I wonder about the Eric Schoh. I have heard the name, but can remember in what context. I find it interesting that he left in 2002. Could he have been the guy that made Higgins look bad enough to be fired?
    Or, did he leave USD in frustration because of Higgins, interesting questions without answers.

Comment

Picked this up from the KELO TV website
      11/04/2003
      Colorado College's Joel Nielsen Named USD Athletic Director
      VERMILLION, S.D. - Joel Nielsen of Colorado Springs, Colorado, has been named Director of Athletics at The University of South Dakota.

Nielsen, who has served as Director of Athletics at Colorado College since April 2001, will begin his duties in early December. His appointment is subject to approval of the South Dakota Board of Regents.

"It's clear that Joel Nielsen is the right choice for Athletic Director at South Dakota," Abbott said. "He brings professionalism and a track record of success to South Dakota. Joel is exceptionally qualified in athletic administration, including an established record in fundraising, management and communications. He has proven leadership that will be important as our athletic department moves ahead."

Nielsen is ready to begin his duties at USD.

"I want to thank President Abbott, Search Committee Chair Julie Greenfield and Interim Athletic Director Greg Redlin for running a thorough process and showing confidence in me," Nielsen said. "I also want to thank Greg Redlin for overseeing the athletic department during this interim period. I am pleased to be returning to the North Central Conference where I played and coached earlier in my career. It is my goal to move this program forward. The alumni, coaches and staff take great pride in Coyote Athletics, and I intend on carrying on that tradition."

At Colorado College, Nielsen led a 20-sport athletic program, including sponsorship of 18 programs at the Division III level and two sports at Division I. During his tenure, he coordinated a facilities priority plan resulting in the reconstruction of the Washburn Field Complex, including the addition of an artificial playing surface and a new running track. Nielsen supervised and developed a season ticket, corporate sponsorship and donor group plans that resulted in a significant increase in revenues. In addition, he developed a college licensing program, supervised a long-range development plan, and renegotiated the college's media contracts.

"The University of South Dakota has selected an individual who is well-prepared to take the athletics program forward. From the search committee's perspective, Joel is the right choice," said Julie Greenfield, chair of the Athletic Director Search Committee.

From 1993 to 2001, Nielsen was associate athletic director at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C., where he was in charge of the administration of the athletic department's external relations. At Wake Forest, he developed the department's marketing programs and special events, increasing football season ticket sales by 55 percent and men's basketball by 52 percent. He administered the university's licensing program, negotiating the department's full-service football and apparel contract with Nike. He also assisted the development office in planning, coordinating and soliciting for the capital campaign and annual fund.

Before Wake Forest, Nielsen served as a sports marketing director for the Hyatt Corporation in Atlanta, Ga., from 1992 to 1993. With the Hyatt Corporation, he was responsible for the identification and solicitation of professional, collegiate and Olympic sports business in the Southeast. Nielsen was also an assistant athletic director at Illinois State University in Normal, Ill., from 1991-92. At Illinois State, he coordinated external constituent solicitation and organized, directed and implemented a comprehensive marketing plan of a 16-sport athletic program. He also served as an athletic development assistant at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill., 1990-1991.

A native of Latimer, Iowa, Nielsen is currently a doctoral candidate (Leadership and Educational Policy Studies) at Northern Illinois. He earned a bachelor of science degree in business finance in 1986 and a master of science degree in sports administration in June 1990, both from Minnesota State, Mankato. Nielsen played football and also served as an assistant football coach (1989-90) at Minnesota State, Mankato.

He and his wife, Sharon, have three daughters - Kelly, 6; Kasey, 6; and Kory, 4.

© 2004 KELO-TV -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Comment

Here is the rest of the news story.
        HE and his wife, Sharon, have three daughters - Kelly, 6; Kasey, 6; and Kory, 4.

South Dakota Athletic Directors Since 1926
        L.B. Allison, 1923-28
        S.B. Backman, 1928-35
        Carl "Rube" Hoy, 1935-56
        Ralph "Boot" Stewart, 1957-61
        John Roning, 1961 - 1971
        Carl Miller, 1971-76
        Beanie Cooper, 1976-81
        Bobby Thompson, 1981-82
        Jack Doyle, 1983 - 1998 (Doyle was acting AD in 1982)
        Kelly Higgins, 1998-2003 (Greg Redlin, Interim AD)
        Joel Nielsen, 2003-

What Others Are Saying about Joel Nielsen?

Ron Wellman - Athletic Director, Wake Forest University
        "Joel (Nielsen) is a very friendly person and relates very well with people and will do so at South Dakota. With his experience, he understands every part of an intercollegiate athletic program from the various sports to administrative functions. With that broad view he knows what it takes to succeed. I believe he will energize the athletic department."

Morris Kurtz - Athletic Director, St. Cloud State University
        "Joel Nielsen will be credit to The University of South Dakota and the North Central Conference. He works very hard and I believe he is an excellent addition to South Dakota."

Roger Thomas - Athletic Director, University of North Dakota
        "I think the world of Joel (Nielsen). I think he will do a great job at South Dakota. We have coached against each other and I look forward to working with him in the North Central Conference. He is someone that has vision and perspective that will be important in the coming years."

University of South Dakota

Comment

Colorado College, huh? Smells like hockey to me.

Comment

tony,
            My thoughts exactly !

Comment

Originally posted by tony
              Colorado College, huh? Smells like hockey to me.
              If so, he will have along way to go. We just beat the snot out of their hockey team. Not much of a hockey fan but a win over USD is a win over USD and I will take it! ;D

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...=461&rfi=9

Go State!

Comment

I tend to believe their hockey plan is very long range. I dont expect to be among the living when that comes to fruitation.

Nielsens ability to fund raise and promote may be his strength. I think USD is very worried about SDSU getting more support from Sioux Falls.  The AD cant do it all by himself, and I dont know how many full time staff people will be hired to do the promotions and fund raising.  This part has been pretty skimpy in the past few years.  Also Higgins was the kind of guy that seemed to irriate people and he did not have control at all. I.E The basketball crazies. One of the D2football posters mentioned that Abbott was seen chewing Higgins out at a basketball game, because the students were acting like jerks. So if Nielsen has some chrisma and can up the budget, they could be D1AA down the road a ways. Not next year, but down the road.

Comment

For sure long range. I hope he is not as good as you paint him to be. I love when USD AD forget to invite Pat O'Brian to fund raisers. By the way,  I was being a little facetious about the hockey article.  I know it is only a club sport at both schools.  

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                  X