D1 Conference Shuffles Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 Conference Shuffles Continue

Cincinatti, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, and South Florida bolt C-USA for the Big East. Central Florida and Marshall leave the MAC for C-USA, joining Tulsa, Rice and SMU from the WAC in the new C-USA.

Hanging in the breeze are St. Louis and Charlotte as the only remaining non-football C-USA schools.

This leaves the WAC with seven members: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Nevada, San Jose State, UTEP.

What's next? Who's next? And what might it mean for the Bison and the Jackrabbits?

"I think we'll be OK"

Re: D1 Conference Shuffles Continue

There has been a lot of talk that Idaho and Utah State will leave the Sun Belt for the WAC.  These are two schools that the Big Sky has been waiting for because they thought they would be forced back down to I-AA.  If this happens it may change some minds over in the BSC.  There is also talk of Montana moving up and joining the WAC.  They have the attendence numbers so who knows.

There is also speculation that the Horizon, Missouri Valley, and Mid-Con may be raided.  If so one to all of them may be looking for new members.  I think our timing is pretty good.  It is important that we have already declared, and are in our exploratory year.  We have a leg up on many other Universities.  Lastly being a Basketball powerhouse with a travel partner will be a big plus, especially now that it looks like we will be playoff eligible in all sports by 2009.  It is a good time to be a Jackrabbit!   ;D

Go SDSU!

Comment

I'm thinking that the general westward slide of the conference realignments tends toward SDSU and NDSU eventually getting into the Big Sky. Not good for me, personally, being here in Kansas City. I'd be happy with the Mid-Con, and deliriously happy with a Missouri Valley/Gateway combo.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        I'm thinking that the general westward slide of the conference realignments tends toward SDSU and NDSU eventually getting into the Big Sky.  Not good for me, personally, being here in Kansas City.  I'd be happy with the Mid-Con, and deliriously happy with a Missouri Valley/Gateway combo.
        Amen, my KC brother! ;D

Go State!

Comment

St. Louis and Charlotte are apparently finding new homes in the Atlantic 10.

And so it goes . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Atlantic 10 plans to add schools

PHILADELPHIA - Charlotte and Saint Louis were invited to join the Atlantic 10 Conference on Thursday in an expansion that would boost the league to 14 teams.

Charlotte and Saint Louis are currently in Conference USA, which already will lose Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, Marquette and DePaul to the Big East in 2005.

While neither school announced a decision, Atlantic 10 commissioner Linda Bruno said the offers would not have been extended unless the conference knew that the schools would accept.

"They were interested in joining us and we were interested in them," Bruno said. She said the schools will have to pay an entrance fee.

Charlotte athletic director Judy Rose said the school was "thrilled to receive an invitation."

Charlotte and Saint Louis will add to an already strong basketball league. The Billikens made the NCAA tournament four times in the last 10 years and Charlotte advanced in 2000.

Go SDSU!

Comment

Mega-Realignment discussions on:

http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/in...?action=login2
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
              X