Ed Hogan's Take on USD-SDSU Rivalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Hogan's Take on USD-SDSU Rivalry

Some of you alums younger than me may have had Ed Hogan for geography courses. He was an excellant prof from what I been told. Ed went on to be part of the Admin and retired this summer. I know Ed from sitting next to him and his wife at Frost for BB games. We have had some fun conversations. He has said a mouth full in three paragraphs to the Sioux Falls Argus leader.

Here it is:

SDSU-USD Rivalry
    Edward P. Hogan
    Brookings

published: 11/13/2003

Historically, the South Dakota State University-University of South Dakota rivalry has brought us many thrills. Unfortunately, because of the rivalry, we have also witnessed people demeaning a school, a program, or a citizen because of their Coyote or Jackrabbit ties. Regents, legislators, special interest groups and even newspapers have used the rivalry to play one school against the other. This negative aspect of the SDSU-USD rivalry has been detrimental to our state, students and higher education.

Some time ago, university administrators and faculty, with the encouragement of Regents President Tad Perry and other recent board members, began a collaboration process to further enhance quality educational opportunities for our students. Especially successful in that process are the collaborative efforts of SDSU and USD. Together, they have provided educational opportunities in Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Pierre, worked to improve K-12 education, meet state health care needs, and with EPSCoR to establish a solid base for research in South Dakota.

Let future rivalries be with schools from other states. For South Dakota's future, let's use the collaborative research efforts between SDSU and USD to further economic development and improve the standard of living for all South Dakotans through teaching, research and scholarship.
    Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

USA Today | USA Weekend | Gannett Co. Inc. | Gannett Foundation | PheasantCountry.com
Working...
X