President Miller at Board of Regents meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Miller at Board of Regents meeting

We hope this is exhaustion and she will be back performing her duties ASAP.

SDSU's President Miller collapses during meeting
    Denise D. Tucker
    dtucker@argusleader.comv

published: 1/6/2004

South Dakota State University president Peggy Miller was in satisfactory condition late Monday night after collapsing during a meeting in Sioux Falls.

Miller, 66, was at a Board of Regents town meeting on the USDSU campus. She left the meeting shortly after it started, about 7:10 p.m.

"She was as white as my jacket when she left," said Carole Pagones, one of the Regents.

Miller's yellow writing tablet, Diet Coke and water bottle remained undisturbed in the area where she had been sitting.

"She left right away after the start of the meeting, which is not uncommon," said Mark Lee, executive dean of USDSU.

He thought she stepped into the hallway to make a telephone call. After about 20 minutes, Lee became concerned.

"I glanced out into the hallway to see if she needed any help," he said.

Dr. Richard Belatti was also among the regents attending. When Lee didn't see Miller in the hallway, he asked a passing female faculty member to check the women's restroom.

"We found her on the floor barely conscious," Lee said. "I came in and got Dr. Belatti, and then we called 911."

An ambulance took her to Sioux Valley Hospital. "By the time she left, she had gained strength and was talking," Lee said.

Pagones said Miller was responsive. She went to visit her in the hospital.

Colleagues collected her belongings and left for the hospital.

Miller has been president of South Dakota's largest school since 1998.

The question of who will be in charge of the university today was left unanswered late Monday night.

"No one will worry about that until we know if Peggy will be here or not," said Mike Reger, SDSU executive vice president for administration.

Re: President Miller at Board of Regents meeting

While this is concerning, it is encouraging that she was awake and responsive before heading to the hospital. This suggests that the episode was more likely syncopal (fainting) as oppossed to something more serious like a seizure, cardiac arrythmia (heart attack) or stroke. I know nothing about her past medical history. The bathroom is a common place to suffer from a vagal episode (the light-headed feeling you get when nauseated) and then collapse and lose consciousness for a short period of time (syncope or fainting). I suspect this will be similar to the George Stienbrenner event from last week and she will check out okay. My thoughts and prayers are with President Miller and her family.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: President Miller at Board of Regents meeting

jackMd:
      Thanks for your take on what appears to have happen to President Miller. I too hope for the best for her and will keep her in my Prayers.
      She is a grand lady and accompolished a great deal in 7 years.

With her non-South Dakota background, she can always bring a fresh approach to every challange, and she seems to want to make this a better University, then the one she found in 1998. Thats no reflection on Robert Wagner, who was also a very good president.

No doubt President Miller has been under a great deal of stress for a number of months. I noticed that the BOR meeting was kind of a town hall type meeting with information for those in attendance. The silver lining in this unfortunate happening, is that people in the audience and BOR members could not discuss the D1 issue. i,e. Kooistra and Klouscheck The downside, is that maybe President Miller had some very positive things to report on the D1 transitition. The Argus today had an article reporting what was discussed at the BOR meeting. No D1 stuff thank God.

Comment

Working...
      X