Selling Jack Merchandise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Jack Merchandise

I think the Administration would be wise to sell Jack merchandise at the games as I think it would be a huge revenue generator. It is my understanding they have to try and work with the Bookstore which has the rights.

Re: Selling Jack Merchandise

The bookstore is slacking a little. When my group came up for Hobo Day (6 strong from KC), my wife forgot her gloves. I told her we would pick some up at the game under the stands. Got to Coughlin and the little both was empty, so she trekked to the book store and got SDSU mittens.

She was told that the book store had switched to a new computer system and so they were not going to be at the football games (not sure what one has to do with the other, but ok). Don't know if that obstacle still exists, but your right they could make a killing this weekend and should be at Frost and Coughlin for all games.

Comment

When I started going to SDSU games in the late 70's there was a stand set up to sell logo items, apparel, etc... I'm not sure why they dont do it anymore. It would be a great idea. There would be room in one of the upper deck corners or maybe around the pool area on the office side of HPER center

Comment

You guys are on to something here. I just have not noticed it that much, meaning the lack of merchandise being sold. Its been a while since the bookstore has been at Coughlin. WE seem to be missing something big time in marketing apparell. With the new addition to the Union Building, you would think they need every dime they can get.

I wonder if HPER could work something out in bulk purchases and then resell at the games etc, its seems like this is where merchandise can easily be sold. I suspect there would have to be another mark up if HPER were to make it worth their while.

I remember going to a U OF Nebraska-Kearney game about the second year that they were in D2. The AD was selling merchandise and after the half was over he was seen pushing a rack of sweatshirts back into a secure storage area. I think he sensed he needed bucks to fund his scholarships beyond season tickets.

This is an area that needs to be looked at for $$$$$.

Comment

I hope with the move to DI we explore these kind of opportunities. We need to make it easy for people to purchase merchandise. It sure doesn't hurt to have people wearing there SDSU attire for exposure purposes. I just can't imagine the killing they could make on Friday night! I know discussions are continuing in the athletic dept on this subject, but I think it would be a no brainger if they can get around the red tape.

Comment

I think they should also make it more available at sport stores throughout the state. Does anyone know if stores like Scheels carry Jacks apparel? I agree that Jacks merchandise could make a good amount of money, but would it be going to the bookstore or the athletic department? Either way it's a good deal for the University. When I was at the mall is Sioux Falls right before Christmas, I noticed quite a few people wearing SDSU sheatshirts, so there is definately consumers out there.

Comment

The bookstore and the University would both make money.  SDSU gets licensing fee from any piece of SDSU Merchandise sold.  By encouraging fans to wear Jack Gear SDSU would make $$$ no matter where they got it (at the games, Book Store, Wal-Mart, etc.).  At the games would be a nice start (nothing like an impulse buy).

I too was in Sioux Falls over the Holidays and I noticed in my unscientific poll that SDSU wear was leading USD wear about 10 to 1.  I have gotten SDSU gear at Scheels in the past, however since they moved from the Empire mall I can't say for sure if they still have it.

Go State!

Comment

I was into Scheels a couple of times over the holidays, they have a little SDSU apparel-but not much a couple diffrent coats, sweatshirts, and t-shirts. I would think they could sell a lot more.
                rabbit's unscientific research is quite accurate, SDSU led usd at LEAST 10:1 in the malls and all over Sioux Falls, in the logo clothing area !!

Comment

All these points are accurate and excellent.  There are several websites, not affiliated with SDSU, (just do a google/yahoo search) selling SDSU Jackrabbit attire.  None of these sites carry USD prducts.  Do you think this is just coincidence?

I see more Jackrabbit clothing, bumper stickers, window decals, etc.. in Rochester, MN and the Twin Cities then the remainder of the NCC schools put together.  Maybe I am not looking for the St. Cloud and Mankato stuff but I guaruntee I don't see any USD crap.  This is a yet relatively untapped market and that needs to change.  What SDSU fan wouldn't want some Jackrabbit apparel for Christmas, birthdays, Hannukah, or the birth of a child (hint, hint, hint)?  My 1 day old already has a Jacks onesy, windbreaker and jean jacket.  I am still debating a tatoo with my wife!!  Get out there and sell the Jackrabbits, we are all buying!!
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                  X