College On the Hill- A  book for every SDSU A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College On the Hill- A  book for every SDSU A

On Hobo Day week a new book came off the press that was researched for every detail, by the SDSU Alumni Association Executive Director VJ Smith and he was assisted in the writing by Amy Dunkle, who formerly was a reporter for th Brookings Register. If you want details about all the great moments in sports, its in this book.

You find out about Charles Coughlin and all the good things he did for SDSU, including the purchase of silk pants for the 1935 football team  The 1935 team is covered in a  separate chapter.

You will read about a Tuskegee coaching legend, Cleveland Abbott who is the first person of color to grad uate from SDSU and did so in 1916.  What an excellent athlete Abbott was and he was a very good student.  He won 14 letters and would have had 16 if  the SDSU basketball team had played intercolligate schedule the four years he was at SDSU. They played intramural amongst classes two years 1912 and 1913, I believe.  Hard to believe, but we have come a long ways since 1913.

Cleveland is probably the first person to get national recognition on an all star team. There other details too.  

The 1963 and 1985 teams are covered in detail as is the 2003 women's championship team.

In the last chapter of the book, you will find out a detail about one of our current Women's BB players, who claims to be the only female on campus that knows how to castrate a bull.  That would be Shannon Schlagel who has grown up on a beef farm near Raymond, South Dakota.

We talked a great deal about the resistence of  moving to D1AA. A much similar battle was fought in the late 1950's when they had the first organized fund drive for Staduim for State.  I think part of the fallout from that controversy has been that until recently, little or few improvements have been made to Coughlin Alumni Staduim.  That is one of my favorite chapters, because I was a high school student during the controversy and just could not understand why SDSU did not want a spectular football staduim.

If you wondered how much the USD-SDSU rivalry has played a part in state politics and all the attempts for USD to get ahead of SDSU, you will read about these events in "College on the Hill".  The soft cover sells for less than 30 dollars a copy. I believe there are still some copies left. I have not read it from cover to cover but what I have read  has been informative and enjoyable. Its a book that gives you super good feeling about being an SDSU Alum.

P.S. The Bob story from the 1985 regional tournament is not in the book but maybe it should have been.

Re: College On the Hill- A  book for every SDSU A

Thats a great post SDSUFAN, My parents got me that book for Christmas, It's 492 pages of very interesting, educational, and entertaining reading. I highly reccomend it for any Jackrabbit, or someone who wishes they were. They are available in the SDSU bookstore.

Comment

I ordered my families copy via the SDSU alumni website.  I recommend the hardcopy as it is only $10 more and will last much longer.  Its a great review of a few of the things that make SDSU and its patrons so unique and wonderful.  Each household should invest in at least one copy.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am looking forward to getting it soon myself (should be right up my ally, double majored in Pol Sci and History).  I dropped some hints and hoped to receive it for Christmas.  Instead I got a framed and signed "Prairie Vigilance" by John C. Green for my office.  So a Merry Christmas, Jackrabbit style, was still had.  ;D

Go Jacks!

Comment

Speaking of John Green, has he or Redlin or even Josh Spies (Watertown artist) ever been asked to, or have they, completed some work pertaining to SDSU? Perhaps the work "Prairie Vigilance" mentioned by 89rabbit is one and I am just naive. I would certainly think this might be another fundraising endeavor as I would be very interested.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

John Green did a limited edition paintings of the Campanile a few years back. I bought one for about 100 bucks. I dont know if any are left. Green made the mixture of clouds of white and blue in the shapes of Rabbits. It took for every to get the framer to do her thing but its a very nice portrait to hang on the wall.

You could contact the Alumni Assoication and see if any are left, I doubt there is but I suppose another edition is a possiblity

Comment

We are all talking about the same thing here. Mine is #370 of 450 so I think they have a few left. It does look great on my wall.

Comment

Bought the book while I was up in Brookings for the USD game. Just started it, but what I have read is really good.

Comment

Working...
                X