Multimillion gift announce (January 2004) in Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimillion gift announce (January 2004) in Sioux Falls

As I type this message a press conference is going on at the Holiday Inn Centre, downtown Sioux Falls about some major gifts to SDSU for athletic scholarships.  I was unable to get KJJQ who was covering the news conference as a direct hook-up on the internet.  KJJQ will probably have a storied tape of the press conference. It's just not available live.

I am sure that the Mildred White gift from what I have heard is in the $2.4 million range is one of the gifts. Sid Bostic who literally won the 1963 NC with his Hail Mary mid court shoot, has been working on raising funds for the D1 movement.  This is about all I know at this time.   Having the press conference in Sioux Falls as all loyal Jack fans can figure out has a purpose.

Re: Multimillion gift announce today in Sioux Fall

Here is the link to KJJQ in case you dont have it earmarked as a favorite

http://www.depotradio.com/sports.php

Comment

Here is an update on the gift announcement. Steve Imming of WNAX did not cover the press conference, but he said in his 10;15 sports show that Mildred White gave 2.75 million. Sid is giving one million and they have an additional number of small gifts that give the HPER over four million in additonal endowment funds for scholarships. This money will always be there and only the interest earned will be used to fund scholarships in any given year. At five per cent that would earn $200,000 each year and with the full ride for a In-state student being $7,000. that will mean funds for about 28 more scholarships. I think we will be okay.

Comment

Those dollars will help us with our Journey to D-I! ;D

Go State!

Comment

Another update, from WNAX  the small gifts totalled 600,000 so there is a grand total of 4.4 million addition to endowments.  This does not mean we cant still the support the Jackrabbit Club.  Those 25 to 50 dollar gifts are just as important as the big ones. One of the failures of the Staduim for State Drive is that they tried to get alums to pledge long term giving and turned down small gifts, SDSU learned a painful lesson long time ago. So all gifts no matter what size are important.

Comment

I just had time to listen to the press conf. VJ's story was great. God Bless Mildred Stoker White.

Go SDSU!

Comment

This should help keep some of the naysayers at bay for a while that think the money is not there to make this move. I agree no gift whether large or small is insignificant. I hope this is just the beginning as there is so much to do that will require a lot of money. Did the money come from a land sale that was part of her estate?

Comment

Didn't sound like it, in VJ's story he talks about Mildred calling him up year after year and saying "sat down with the accountants. . .and I had a good year" and then having a check cut for State!  It sounded like she and her husband had done well for themselves.

Comment

The White's as VJ said were very sucessful.  I do know that she lived in Winnetka near Evanston and Northwestern U.  I have only driven through that area, did not live there and had no friends and relatives living their. Its a very nice neighborhood and very nice homes.

We were very forunate here.  I am impressed with Sid efforts besides his own gift in that he has found $680,000 so far, and I dont think Sid has been working for more than a year on this project.  It sounded like there is some more gifts to be announced in the near future.

I remember asking Fred once if after reviewing the Foundation Annual report if Mildred was finished giving money to SDSU. Fred replied "ooooh nnoooo, not by any means" and that is all he said.  Now I know today what he meant by is  enthuasitic but indirect reply.

Comment

I sent my $1,000 check to the Jackrabbit Club this past Tuesday. Was feeling really good about that until now :P
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That is still BIG TIME to me. I am dropping off my $100 check for the Jackrabbit Club tomorrow. I wish it was more, but we give what we can.

Go SDSU!

Comment

You guys have a right to be proud of your gifts no matter the size.
                        I said in a prior post that long ago when they made the first fund drive for the staduim, they made a big blunder by turning down small gifts and went for pledges that just turned off a ton of people. The Staduim for State was a hard sell to begin with, and add to that a little arrogance and you have what we know today as Coughlin Alumni Stadiums.

So gifts all sizes are important. If you talk with Dave Marquart and other staff members they will tell you they appreciate gifts to the Foundation and Jackrabbit club, no matter what the size in terms of dollars.

Comment

As I sit here sipping from my brand new stainless steel SDSU coffee mug, courtesty of the Jackrabbit club as a thank you for my membership in the 2nd century club, I only hope I am fortunate enough to make a donation similar to Mildred'd or Sid's in the future. In the meantime I will continue to give what I can and encourage others to do the same.

I believe it is a worthwhile cause as it improves the future for those who attend SDSU and all citizens of the state of SD. I wish to express my appreciation to Sid, Mildred, and all the others who have donated anything (time, money, effort) to SDSU. Thank you and God bless you all.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                            This should help keep some of the naysayers at bay for a while that think the money is not there to make this move. I agree no gift whether large or small is insignificant. I hope this is just the beginning as there is so much to do that will require a lot of money. Did the money come from a land sale that was part of her estate?
                            No doubt selling her home was one of many details in winding up her estate affairs.  Like many other people who start a manufacturing company and are very sucessful, when they sell out they do so with a high cash price tag. I suspect that may be the bulk of her assets came when the company was sold.  One of the staff people in HPER and I dont recall who said she was a very prudent investor and watched Wall Street daily.

My wild guess would be her home sold for over a million dollars, as the Winnetka neighborhood is very classy.  No doubt selling the home and doing her final tax return took those accountants some time.

If I recall correctly Mildred passed away in early 2002 so its taken some time before the Foundation could announce the gift that was announced today.

My expirence with the Foundation Staff is that they are very careful to not announce things, until they have received the funds.

I have breakfast and coffee with some high school class mates everytime I am in Brookings. I am going to be curious what the conversation will be this coming Saturday.  We have a few naysers in the group.

I am sure there are going to be a few die-hards who will still complain, but the money issue is one that is all but off the table.

I was a student when Sid Bostic played basketball. His uniform was soaking wet by the end of each game. He had heart had could bring down those boards when no one expected him to do so. I think he worked everyday day of his banking career as though it was the National Championship game. As a fellow Econ major I am very proud of Sid.

Comment

SDSUFAN,

Tell your FES friends hi from all of us on the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X