• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really SDSU related but..

Janklow gets 100 days.. doesn't seem like much for killing somebody :-/

http://www.argusleader.com/breaking/...yfeature.shtml

Re: Not really SDSU related but..

Yes it seems like a light sentence, but the entire state will be happy to bring this whole affair to conclusion.
    Wild Bill will never run again for anything and as an attorney its going to be tough to get his law license back.  Possibly another factor that Judge Steele took into consideration, is his health and age. Janklow is 66 and has had diabetitis etc.  A sentence of 5 to 10 years would have in affect be a death sentence. I dont think Janklow would have lived to serve that much time.

If its an eye for an eye, the scale does not balance, plus he had a bunch of people testify in his behalf, including one of the best faculty members at SDSU, Robert Burns, who grew up with Janklow in Flandreau. Dr. Burns commented on the many good things he accompolished even though they were on opposite ends of the politcal spectrum.  So all these people helped.  

I think that he has come across as remorseful has helped as well, if he continued to be arrogrant, he would be in trouble. Janklow is not stupid, he knows how to play his cards, but I can not see how he would not be remorseful, I know I would if I had ran a stop signed and caused a fatal accident.

I sure there are many who see it has you do, but some thought that Janklow would never go to jail, but  the 100 day sentence makes that conclusion wrong.

Comment

I thought the would at least give him a couple years....too bad. He probably got treated different because of who he was.

Comment

Here from the Argus you see what Wild Bill will face in the next few months. Does sound like fun to me.

Hard bunk, barred windows await Janklow
        Peter Harriman
        Argus Leader

published: 1/23/2004

When Bill Janklow reports Feb. 7 to the Minnehaha County Jail, the former governor and congressman will first complete a series of personal forms.

Then his life will transform dramatically.

"He will be changed into our clothing. That will be stripes," Warden Michelle Boyd said Thursday. "He will be issued T-shirts, socks, underwear and a hygiene kit and, according to his classification, he will be put in one of our housing units."

Circuit Court Judge Rodney Steele sentenced

Janklow to 100 days in the Sioux Falls jail in connection with an Aug. 16 traffic accident that killed a Minnesota man.

Minnehaha County Sheriff Michael Milstead has not yet determined how Janklow will be housed in the recently completed jail. Options range from a single cell to a group of four, eight, 16, 24 or 48 cells.

"We don't have a VIP cell," Milstead said. "We don't have any kind of cell with carpet. Our bunks are either steel or concrete, and they all have the same combination mattress and pillow made at the state penitentiary. Our interior finish is concrete on concrete. Our windows are frosted and barred."

The jail is illuminated with florescent light, and in winter it is maintained between 61 and 73 degrees. In his cell, Janklow will find a desk, a chair or stool, a bunk and toilet. Along with the approximately 300 other inmates, he will be wakened at 6:30 a.m. for breakfast.

He will be locked in his cell shortly before noon, again in mid-afternoon, shortly before supper and again for the night at 10 p.m., Milstead said.

In his cell, Janklow will be able to read and write. Other times, he will have access to a small exercise area "where he can shoot hoops or ride an exercise cycle or do sit-ups and push-ups, those types of things. The room is big enough to get in some exercise walking," Milstead said. "He will have the ability during certain times of the day to watch television, read the newspaper, read books."

For 30-minute intervals,

Janklow will be able to receive visitors. He will occupy a video booth in the jail while visitors use similar facilities in the nearby Public Safety Building.

"Like the other inmates, he will have reasonable access to visits from family and friends," Milstead said.

Steele said at the hearing Thursday that Janklow will be allowed to leave the jail after 30 days to do community service. But he must return each night.

The sheriff expects it will be next week before he sees a copy of the court order that will clarify some conditions of Janklow's incarceration.

"If the judge is going to order what we call a court-ordered furlough, he will order us to release the inmate for X number of hours up to six days a week for community service," Milstead said.

In that situation, Janklow "would still continue to be housed in the downtown jail. He would change into street clothes and actually be released from jail out of our custody for those hours."

Janklow is not eligible to live in the dormitory setting of the county work release center on West Russell Street. The county has a conditional use permit with the city that requires that only inmates who have not been convicted of a crime of violence, such as manslaughter, can live in the work-release center, Milstead said.

Steele also ordered Janklow to pay Moody County $50 for each day of his incarceration as reimbursement for placing him in the Minnehaha County Jail.

However, Milstead said the two counties have a contract that sets that price at $79.07 per day.

Milstead said Janklow's prominent position as a former state and federal leader will complicate his incarceration. But the sheriff, speaking carefully, said the county corrections staff is up to the task.

"I guess you measure difficulty from a point of view, and that is this: Will this be as difficult on us as it will be on Bill Janklow? The answer to that is no. Will this be as difficult for us as for the Scott family? The answer to that is no," Milstead said.

"I believe that our staff is professional and has the ability to manage any inmate the court system chooses to send our way. We are in the business of managing people whose freedom has been taken away.

"The high-profile nature of Bill Janklow and this case presents unique challenges. But it is nothing that we can't deal with on a professional level and use good, common sense and do what the public expects us to do."
        Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

USA Today | USA Weekend | Gannett Co. Inc. | Gannett Foundation | PheasantCountry.com

Comment

My own comments:

I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on TV, but I have read that judges often when pronouncing sentence look at similar cases and follow the previous sentences of others convicted for the same felony as their guideline.

I read in the Rapid City Journal, I believe that there were similiar cases where the person had no record, and they did not have any prison time assigned as part of the sentence. As much as I attest Janklows law and order attitude, I also recognize that this is his first conviction. Granted he should have had a ton of traffic tickets, but again, I have had more than my share of warnings. Janklow has an agenda to complete as his penence, and that will take some personal will and reflection. Plus he has a law suit facing him.

Also if the D1 issue had been brought to the BOR before it was, I dont think he would have allowed SDSU to move up to D1. Harvey Jewett his boyhead friend is the president of the board of regents, so it would have been easy to squash that idea at the BOR level. Approval came in his last days of his governership and Janklow apparently was too busy signing pardon papers for his other buddies.

Comment

Education:
            JD, University of South Dakota Law School, 1966
            BA, Accounting, University of South Dakota, 1964

Enough said!!

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
            X