Brookings: A Top College Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookings: A Top College Town

Brookings did well, finishing just behind a couple of Ivy Leauge towns.

TOWNS
    1 Hanover, NH
    2 Princeton, NJ
    3 Brookings, SD
    4 Middlebury, VT
    5 Durango, CO
    6 Bronxville, NY
    7 Menomonie, WI
    8 Oneonta, NY
    9 Rolla, MO
    10 Conway, SC

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...02&page=23

Brookings: a top college town
    By John Kubal
    * ‘Someplace Special’ city in ‘ePodunk’ top 10

When it comes to great college towns as ranked by the ePodunk study, Brookings makes the cut with a No. 3 ranking in the “Towns” category.
    That’s just behind the towns that are the sites of two Ivy League schools — No. 1 Hanover, N.H., home of Dartmouth College, and No. 2 Princeton, N.J., home of Princeton University.
    Noted for its variety of “Top Ten Lists,” ePodunk cited four categories of “Top-ranked College Towns by Community Size”: Big Cities, with Boston-Cambridge, home of several major colleges and universities, the leader; Medium-sized Cites, Columbia, S.C., home of Columbia and the University of South Carolina, taking the top spot; Small Cities, with Charlottesville, Va., home of the University of Virginia, the best of 10 in that group; and Towns.
    The 2000 census populations used for the ePodunk ratings were: big cities, 300,000 or more; medium-sized cities, 100,000 to 299,999; small cities, 20,000 to 99,999, and towns, up to 19,999.
    The ePodunk study says “great college towns have a spark that comes not only from young blood, but from jazz clubs, literary events, book stores, and cafes. They are intellectual, cultural and economic hubs, balancing tradition with new business growth. Often, they mix urban amenities and small-town charm.”
    While the study Web site is general, it serves as a guide to getting specific information in the “ePodunk College Towns Index,” which “does not rank the colleges themselves, but the communities in which they’re based. Our study is not based on a student survey, nor is it a rating of bars and night life.”
    Instead, ePodunk looked at 15 variables “to assess arts and culture, recreation, intellectual, historic preservation and the cost of living.” Included were population, college enrollment, per-capita income, unemployment, owner-occupied housing, entertainment offerings, symphony orchestras, and historic sites.
    The index cited Brookings as “a growing city with a number of information-related companies and a low unemployment rate (1.2 percent versus a national rate of 4 percent). It demonstrates strong support of the public library system and historic preservation.”
    The city’s population was put at 18,504, an increase of 13.7 percent from 1990 to 2000. And variables, which compared Brookings with national numbers included: median age 23.5, national 35.3; per capita income $17,028, national $21,587, and owner-occupied housing, 43.7 percent. But while the Web sites were copyrighted 2004, when the numbers and statistics were updated is hard to determine.
    However, the ePodunk “Community” site for Brookings does confirm that Brookings is “ranked No. 3 among towns in the ‘ePodunk College Town Index, 2002.’” Beyond that, statistics don’t come into play. Brookings noted for its Summer Arts Festival, State Agricultural Heritage Museum and South Dakota Art Museum and for being the home of South Dakota State University.
    More about Brookings, one of the nation’s “Great College Towns,” can be found on the Internet at http://www.epodunk.com/top10/colleges/ index.html.

Re: Brookings: A Top College Town

Originally posted by Buster

In these cases, only Ames, Iowa can compete. Man, I cannot tell you how many times I craved the disgusting slop of the Huger Huge from Hometeam Pizza -- $6 for an aircraft carrier sized pizza.
    Never been to Ames, but I have been to Iowa City, Manhattan, and Hays that made the list of towns Ames' size.  I will say that Brookings has Hays covered easy and Manhattan reminds me of a bigger Brookings. Didn't spend enough time in Iowa City to give an opinion (just in for an Iowa vs Michigan football game).

1 Charlottesville, VA
    2 Bozeman, MT
    3 Hays, KS
    4 Boulder, CO
    5 Missoula, MT
    6 Manhattan, KS
    7 Burlington, VT
    8 Bismarck, ND
    9 Iowa City, IA
    10 Chapel Hill, NC

Comment

Buster,

Between this thread and "Jackrabbits, disturbing facts" I have to ask. . .is everything ok at school?  Remember we turned around our losing streak.  We swept the North Dakota schools.  I would have expected an outburst like this a week ago, but know ???  

Go State!

Comment

I agree with 89, Manhattan KS is a bigger version of Brookings. Aggyville (as it is known in Manhatten) is one fabulous place to party. It is essentially a blocked of area of downtown full of sports bars, nightclubs and eating establishments.

Iowa City is great, but I got thrown in the clink one night for having an open container in the street and not complying with a city officers requests. Not a good thing while in medical school!! Fortunately word never got back to my Dean at USD (and it better never).

I am most partial to Chapel Hill as UNC was my previous favorite DI team and will remain a close runner-up to SDSU. I have had a lot of fun at Chapel Hill.

One thing for sure, Vermillion would top the list of the worst college towns regardless of size. IT SUCKS!! The 2 years I spent there I can never get back. The move to DI should assure us of better cities/towns which we can invade and cheer on the Jacks.

Finally, I still crave a piece of George's Pizza every Thur, Fri and Sat night (and occasionally on Mon, Tues, and Wed) at about 2:00 am. I have a special place in my heart for Brookings and always will.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          Buster,

Between this thread and "Jackrabbits, disturbing facts" I have to ask. . .is everything ok at school? Remember we turned around our losing streak. We swept the North Dakota schools. I would have expected an outburst like this a week ago, but know ???

Go State!

Ah yes. It's much harder to be introspective during the good times, and I assure you, things are indeed quite well right now. Of the years I've been here, I'd say that this year and the last have been the most positive of all.

Comment

A couple of college towns/small cities I feel should have been included are...
            Towns: Oxford, MS. pop.9750 Home of the Ole Miss Rebels from the SEC. The college IS the town practically.

Small Cities:
            Stillwater, OK. Home of the Oklahoma State Univ. Cowboys from the Big 12. (Eskimo Joes bar on Sorority night-need I say more)
            Corvallis, OR. Oregon St. Beavers of the PAC 10, (To much fun, on too many occasions!)

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
              A couple of college towns/small cities I feel should have been included are...
              Towns: Oxford, MS. pop.9750 Home of the Ole Miss Rebels from the SEC. The college IS the town practically.

Small Cities:
              Stillwater, OK. Home of the Oklahoma State Univ. Cowboys from the Big 12. (Eskimo Joes bar on Sorority night-need I say more)
              Corvallis, OR. Oregon St. Beavers of the PAC 10, (To much fun, on too many occasions!)
              Good call on Stillwater. Fantastic place.

Comment

Working...
              X