There he goes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There he goes again!

On January 22, State Senator Frank Kloucek (and Rep Begalka) introduced legislation about SDSU going DI. That legislation reads: "No state general fund dollars may be appropriated, nor may the Board of Regents use general fund dollars otherwise appropriated to the board or other state supported universities or the special schools, for the purpose of subsidizing South Dakota State University for any deficits that arise from the decision to became sanctioned as a division I university by the National Collegiate Athletic Association."

I suggest we start a petition drive. That petition would ask President Bush to send Frank Kloucek on the first manned mission to Mars.

Re: There he goes again!

Originally posted by Alumguy
    On January 22, State Senator Frank Kloucek (and Rep Begalka) introduced legislation about SDSU going DI.  That legislation reads:  "No state general fund dollars may be appropriated, nor may the Board of Regents use general fund dollars otherwise appropriated to the board or other state supported universities or the special schools, for the purpose of subsidizing South Dakota State University for any deficits that arise from the decision to became sanctioned as a division I university by the National Collegiate Athletic Association."

I suggest we start a petition drive.  That petition would ask President Bush to send Frank Kloucek on the first manned mission to Mars.
    once again the man needs to get life... are his constituents begging him for this or what?

Comment

JACKASS!!  Please flood the senators office with phone calls, e-mails, letters, etc...
      This is public info available at:  http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2003/mbrdt5.htm

Home Address
      29966 423rd Ave
      Scotland 57059  

Capitol Address
      Kings Inn
      Pierre 57501

Phone Numbers
      Home: 605-583-4468
      Capitol: 605-224-5951
      Business

Here is an article where Frank states his case. He makes no good arguments and is vague because his contention are based on emotion not fact. We need to spearhead a campaign to make the general public more aware of the benefits of moving to DI.

Kloucek questions SDSU's athletic move
      Associated Press

YANKTON, S.D. - As a graduate of South Dakota State University, state Sen. Frank Kloucek isn't among those supporting the university's shift to NCAA Division I athletics.

The Democrat from Scotland said he will introduce legislation next year banning the use of state funds for SDSU's transition to Division I. He also plans to sponsor a resolution opposing the move.

"I have expressed my concerns for two years now, and I continue to be concerned," Kloucek said. "It's not in the long-term interests of SDSU and the state of South Dakota."

The state Board of Regents adopted an athletic policy that establishes specific financial and policy requirements for any of its institutions in Division I.

Regents President Harvey C. Jewett said the board believes it is important to establish a detailed athletics policy so that expectations are clear regarding funding, student fees, scholarships, and other criteria.

Even with such policies, Kloucek said he believes legislation is needed to keep state funds from being spent on the move to Division I athletics.

"Anytime you turn around, there is another can of worms," he said.

"If they were smart, they would have waited a year or two and then try to take everybody into Division I and the same conference. But SDSU just jumped in."

JACKASS, JACKASS, JACKASS. Take away is affiliation with SDSU and start calling him a coyote, sioux supporter or my preferred name, JACKASS.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This guy sounds like a HUGE jackass.......
        http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
          On January 22, State Senator Frank Kloucek (and Rep Begalka) introduced legislation about SDSU going DI.  That legislation reads:  "No state general fund dollars may be appropriated, nor may the Board of Regents use general fund dollars otherwise appropriated to the board or other state supported universities or the special schools, for the purpose of subsidizing South Dakota State University for any deficits that arise from the decision to became sanctioned as a division I university by the National Collegiate Athletic Association."

I suggest we start a petition drive.  That petition would ask President Bush to send Frank Kloucek on the first manned mission to Mars.
          The resolution is so hollow its almost funny. The understanding between SDSU/BOR WAS THAT no state dollars from day one WOULD BE USED FOR DEFICITS and that is still the intent.  Why not introduce a bill  making Tabor the Czech capital of South Dakota, now that would make more sense.

I bet Frank as the support of the Sierra Club on this one tOO.  Do a Google search on Frank, and you will find he has a lot support and recognition from the Sierra Club.  Boy that group will attach to just about any politician.

Keep in mind that Scotland is a short distance from Vermillion.

Comment

Frank suggests we should have waited for the whole conference. What an idoit. It was obvious to all of us with a brian that the whole conference was not prepared to make a move up. Only the cream of the crop should advance and therefore, SDSU and NDSU have moved on. I think Frank, USD and UND better start worrying about the NCC and its bleak future and not our new conference and bright future!!

Athletic Directors from various 1-AA football schools and Division II schools planning to upgrade to 1-AA, have indicated that they are putting the final touches on the creation of a new, western-based 1-AA football conference. Initial discussions started last spring, between the Athletic Directors from North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Cal-Poly, UC Davis, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah. By forming a conference, the group would eventually be eligible for an automatic bid into the 1AA playoffs. The league hopes to capitalize on the lack of a second western regional conference in 1AA, other than the Big Sky whose members encompass a similar footprint.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hate to waste my time on Frank, but I think anytime he raises his USD loving head all we need to do is refer him back to Chuck Cecil's article that SDSUFAN took the time to type into our forum (since the Register never put it on line).

STUBBLE MULCH- AUGUST 20, 2003
              BY Chuck Cecil

A hotbed for FES recruiting

Recruiters for the Flat Earth Society are coming to Brookings. They believe our “someplace special” town has great potential for membership.

The FES decision was made after the society officials read comments by those who oppose the University’s decision to move to Division I in athletics.

These perpetual nay-sayers are just the kind of folks the society is looking for.

The Flat Earth Society, as some of you may recall from your history lesson, also kicked and screamed over approval of funds to finance the voyage in 1492 of the Pinta, the Maria and the Santa Maria.

In fact the FES members became so distraught that they called for the heads of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who financed the journey to the end of the world. Believe it or not there is some of that going around in Brookings relative to the current situation.

The Society, which remains comfortable with the world as it was 50 years ago when there were only 97 chemical compounds on the element chart has also been against acceptance of every one of the last eight chemicals since they were discovered and added to the chart. The new elements were discovered by the way in a Division I school laboratories.

FES was also against highway maps.

Last Friday morning, South Dakotans were the only citizens of any state that did not have a Division I school. SDSU was the only Land Grant University not a Division I member. By 10:15 a.m. that morning, we joined the rest of society.

Interestingly, just a few hours after the Division I announcement was made, two SDSU basketball greats, Austin Hansen of Valley Springs, and Sherri Brende of Baltic, were married in Baltic.

With the wedding of these two shooting guards, No 10 and No 22, I look for a pretty good three point expert to be playing Division One basketball for the Jackrabbits in about twenty or thirty years.

The future of South Dakota State and students not yet born is, what this thing is really all about.

We all need to remember that the university was here and survived changes long before any of us were admiring the skills of the likes of Hansen and Brende on the Frost Arena Basketball court.

I am quite certain the university that belongs to all the South Dakotans , not just Brookingsites, will survive other changes coming down the pike, too. I guarantee you that SDSU will be here long after we temporary residents are no longer season ticket holders.

So for all the students who in the next century will come to SDSU, let’s make our state’s entry into Division I a successful one.

Oh by the way, they’re some Division II news. Among the 10 new members of the athletic division SDSU just left were four schools from Puerto Rico, plus Goldey-Beacom College, Green Mountain College, Holy Family College, North Greenville College and the University of Sciences in Philadelphia.

Fortunately, despite FES objections, we now have detailed road maps so we’ll all be able to eventually locate just where these obscure Division II members are located.

I’m pretty sure the last six are all within the confines of America, which fortunately Christopher Columbus discovered despite efforts to the contrary.

Comment

If Frank keeps it up, I'm just going to have to give more money to the Jackrabbit Club.

In a sense, he's doing SDSU and the DI move a big favor by pissing off alumni like me to the point where we're opening our wallets . . .

Go, Frank, Go!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  If Frank keeps it up, I'm just going to have to give more money to the Jackrabbit Club.

In a sense, he's doing SDSU and the DI move a big favor by pissing off alumni like me to the point where we're opening our wallets . . .

Go, Frank, Go!
                  It has crossed my mind, but Filberts comment may be one reason, the Sioux Falls Media has stopped bashing the D1 move. Other than an occasionally letter to the editor, the long feature articles seem to have stopped.
                  I guess the Game Fish and Parks controversy, the Home Stake Mine, and sales tax on food are bigger issues for the Argus.

One reliable source on campus has said that he felt the Argus like nothing better than having USD, SDSU and Augie at each other throats, meaning they really dont favor one institution and like being able to cover all three and doing so on their terms. So to give SDSU extra coverage because we are going to a new level kind of disrupts this current scheme.

Funny even Frank has not gotten much coverage by the Argus. Most of his publicity has came from the Yankton paper.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Funny even Frank has not gotten much coverage by the Argus. Most of his publicity has came from the Yankton paper.
                    It got a little play on South Dakota Public Radio -- but much of where they get their news summary from is the AP State News Roundup. How that works is this: each morning, rather early, the state office grabs the maybe 5 or 10 of the most interesting (and usually there's not a whole lot more than 5 or 10 stories anyway) and summarizes them down to about two to three paragraphs.

So, they really don't generate much news, but instead just read the AP news summary.

Regardless, Frank, and his crew of deep-thinking intellectuals, made the news for a while -- and the front page of the Register.

I'm still at a loss why people are so picky. Many in the forums have made a good point that it's lose lose. State goes good: Look, we are good. We need to stay. State does bad: look, we're crappy, we need to stay.

I just don't understand why people are such short-sighted fools. I guess everyone wants to alway be a big fish in a small pond, and it seems that those making the most stink out of it are worried that their $500 yearly donation won't get them the prestige they think they deserve when the move to DI comes.

If I had any discretionary income to toss around, I'd maybe add a little note with some cash I send to the university: If the Division I thing falls through because of lack of support in this state, I'll find another division I school who supports its athletics department the way it should.

I'd also write a letter to Frank telling him that he's giving the move a bad reputation, and such a stance, in the long run, will hurt alumni interest in the school. People tend to forget that alumni for a university are the best publicity that university has. This attitude pervades a number of administrative offices, and it really bothers me. If you really piss a person off as an undergrad, you hurt your chances of having any support from that person in the future -- be it good word of mouth, donations, and even jobs for other SDSU grads.

Comment

Buster, I think you hit it right on the head when you conveyed its those that want to continue to be a big fish in a small pond that are opposing this move. There afraid they will lose their piece of identity if this thing becomes too big. They are more concerned about their own short term relationship with SDSU rather than what is best for the school in the long haul. Heck, I'm going to miss the regional rivalries, weekend games, Back to back men and womens games etc. however, things change and this move is long overdue as schools that are similiar to the members of the NCC made this move 15-20 years ago and we should have gone with them at that time.

Comment

Jackguy:
                        Dont forget the Back of the Bus bunch. Some are very supportive and others say no way.  I have told some of them that they need to form a Back of Plane club as we wont be using buses much anymore. : ;D

Comment

I heard from some folks back home that Kloucek's bill did not even get out of committee. Legislators are just now willing to consider starting a precedent of overiding the Regents. I also heard they marched Jim Marking out to Pierre to have him give his negative commentary. The more I think about it we are very fortunate the Regents gave their grudging conscent. I think in the end as many have posted people will give more to SDSU Athletics than ever before to insure we are able to compete at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                            I heard from some folks back home that Kloucek's bill did not even get out of committee. Legislators are just now willing to consider starting a precedent of overiding the Regents.  
                            JACKGUY,

Did you mean that the Legislators are just NOT willing to consider starting a precedent. . . Just making sure I understand your post.

Comment

Jackguy:
                              So this happened this week? Funny the Argus did not report this news.

I guess I need to do a google and get to the Legislative websites. Not surprised about Marking testifiying, I think he would talk to anyone that will listen.  Purely from a govermental point of view, the legislature over-riding the Board of Regents decision would create problems that do not exist right now.  I hear constitutional lawyers talking here behind the scences and the lawyers may have advised the committee to take this position. Not be a GOP guy, I do respect their control of this committee and they have all have Frank's number thank godness.

Comment

Working...
                              X