• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackerbarrell Discussion inlcudes D1 move

This is from The Brookings Register

Legislators address D-I switch
    By John Andrews
    * Local lawmakers answer questions at Saturday forum

Brookings County legislators voiced their support for South Dakota State University’s planned reclassification to Division I status Saturday during the first legislative forum of the year.
    Sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce’s Government Affairs Committee, District 7 Sen. Arnold Brown and Reps. Orville Smidt and Sean O’Brien, all Brookings Republicans, fielded questions from the audience in the Brookings city council chambers and from those listening to the radio simulcast.
    Responding to a question from the radio audience, Brown said there were currently four bills circulating that opposed SDSU’s switch. Another bill was recently defeated, he said. Brown said he was undecided on the move for a long time, but began supporting it when plans for a research park began to surface.
    “Division I can be used for a lot more things than just athletics,” Brown said. “We can attract better professors, we can attract more research. We can tie that in with our research park. And hopefully, an industry or somebody that would want to locate here would say we have a research park, we have a Division I school, we have excellent professors and excellent students. So I’m supporting going to Division I, and I’ll work as hard as possible to kill any other bill that comes up.”
    Sens. Frank Kloucek, D-Scotland, and Clarence Kooistra, R-Garretson, have been outspoken opponents to the move among state legislators, saying the switch would not be a good move for SDSU. Kloucek introduced legislation opposing the move during the 2003 legislative session, which was ultimately defeated. But O’Brien said the issue was debated last year and the Board of Regents approved the Legislature’s request to allow the move.
    “It’s not appropriate to second-guess all of the discussions and the action that was taken last year by the Board of Regents,” O’Brien said. “There’s been so much activity and action taken since that time, it would be counterproductive to discuss those issues any further.”
    SDSU officials are currently putting the finishing touches on a Division I-AA football-only conference that will include North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, California-Davis, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, Southern Utah and St. Mary’s of California. The university’s other 19 sports will begin competition in Division I-A beginning in the 2004-2005 academic year.
    Smidt said the move definitely poses challenges to the university, and old rivalries make it especially difficult, but he also supports the switch.
    “I, too, think that you’ve got to move forward,” Smidt said. “All of these divisions out there — Division I, II, III and NAIA — they’re all changing and shifting. When people say, ‘I want to go to a Division I school,’ well, there’s none to go to in South Dakota. There will be now.”
    He said he especially understands the emotions that go along with the move, having grown up in the Brookings area. But he said it’s the right move for the university.
    “I look forward to working in the appropriations process in the Legislature to actually increase funding to the Division I school,” he said. “I find nothing wrong with that.”

Re: Crackerbarrell Discussion inlcudes D1 move

Nice to see some local support from people who can make a difference. There will continue to be a trend towards more support by the lay public as the propaganda and negativity is counter-acted by the positive facts associated with the move to DI. Patients and cool/intelligent minds will prevail while those basing their opinions/decisions on emotions will fade away or come around.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Smidt said the move definitely poses challenges to the university, and old rivalries make it especially difficult, but he also supports the switch.
      “I, too, think that you’ve got to move forward,” Smidt said. “All of these divisions out there — Division I, II, III and NAIA — they’re all changing and shifting. When people say, ‘I want to go to a Division I school,’ well, there’s none to go to in South Dakota. There will be now.”
      He said he especially understands the emotions that go along with the move, having grown up in the Brookings area. But he said it’s the right move for the university.
      “I look forward to working in the appropriations process in the Legislature to actually increase funding to the Division I school,” he said. “I find nothing wrong with that.”
      Why is it SDSU's fault that USD decided to hang out in the back alley of Division II? This is an oft-cited concern: Our Beautiful Rivalries!! Our Augie! But especially our USD!!

The hell with that. They had the option. They decided to be small fish in a dirty pond. Why isn't anyone bitching at USD? It's just as much their fault for clinging to the hope of being the best among the mediocre.

---
      Note, it was not my choice to use the phrase "pregnant doging". That was inserted automagically. But I guess it'll do.

Comment

The major fault with Klouceck's opposition is that he would prefer SDSU wait for the other NCC schools to move up. I don't believe we can expect this to happen. Wake up Frank, time to move forward.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I am not sure of what Orv Smidt means by appropriating funds to the D1 school. Was he speaking of athletics or academics? Not sure, but I doubt he could get the votes to get funding for athletics.

Its crazy to wait for USD and Augie. Augie will never be D1 unless a Ralph Engelstad comes along with big pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
            I am not sure of what Orv Smidt means by appropriating funds to the D1 school. Was he speaking of athletics or academics? Not sure, but I doubt he could get the votes to get funding for athletics.

Its crazy to wait for USD and Augie. Augie will never be D1 unless a Ralph Engelstad comes along with big pockets.

Given Orv Smidt's tendencies, which are erratic at best, I'm not sure if he is even cognizant of what he's talking about. It's a bit puzzing as the university tended to give the impression that this was not a public-money thing.

I am a bit disgusted that none of the non-athletic aspects have really come to light. This goes way beyond sports, which in the overall picture of university is rather really not nearly as important as the academics.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster

Given Orv Smidt's tendencies, which are erratic at best, I'm not sure if he is even cognizant of what he's talking about. It's a bit puzzing as the university tended to give the impression that this was not a public-money thing.

I am a bit disgusted that none of the non-athletic aspects have really come to light. This goes way beyond sports, which in the overall picture of university is rather really not nearly as important as the academics.
              Truth. This goes so far beyond athletics that it's difficult to describe in its importance to the State. This is about working toward being at the level of the Iowa State and Kansas State in research, prestige, and maybe most importantly pure name recognition. When a college graduate walks in the door of most companies, if they're from Kansas, or Wyoming, or Marquette, or UNLV or Fresno State, they'll get nodding heads and "Hey, is Tarkanian still at your school?" If you're from USD or Mankato, you'll get a polite smile at best. The real world (outside Sioux Falls) doesn't give a DAMN about Division II. If you're not D-I you're nobody, unless you're MIT or CalTech or the U. of Chicago.

And, while the SDSU administration has told the Regents that they wouldn't ask for additional state funds for the D-1 move, there is nothing preventing the State Legislature from allocating funds out of the goodness of their hearts.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Great post filbert. The D1 school name means A LOT on a diploma.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  And, while the SDSU administration has told the Regents that they wouldn't ask for additional state funds for the D-1 move, there is nothing preventing the State Legislature from allocating funds out of the goodness of their hearts.

Or the understanding that funds spent on SDSU will be going towards a progression of academic excellence at a level not available at any other instituion, private or public, in the state of S.D.

Another positive is the draw to Brookings for corporations/businesses. Having a DI institution makes Brookings much more attractive than the surrounding communities (not like is wasn't already) like Watertown, Aberdeen, Marshall, etc..

Comment

Great article over in the Waterown Public Opinion where the writer endorses the move to DI for SDSU and the State. This movement will continue to pick up momemtum until the loud naysayers will be hard to hear.

Comment

Working...
                    X