Sioux Falls has FES members of its own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls has FES members of its own

Looks like Sioux Falls is getting ready to open a chapter of the FES for its proposed new arena.

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Saturdayfeature.shtml

Bigger, better venue will lure performers away, officials warn
    Robert Morast
    Argus Leader

published: 2/7/2004

The new Tyson Events Center in Sioux City, Iowa, has been open for hockey since December. But on Feb. 19, Sioux Falls will begin to realize the full effect of having a bigger, fancier arena in the area.

On that date, country superstars Alan Jackson and Martina McBride are scheduled to christen the $53 million, 10,100-seat center as a concert venue.

Russ DeCurtins, executive director of the Sioux Falls Arena, had tried "for almost a year" to bring the show here.

"That's our show," he said.

Not anymore.

After years of boasting its status as the largest indoor events center in a 100-mile radius, the 6,800-seat Arena now is being shown up. With the larger, state-of-the-art Tyson Events Center, Sioux City has begun to attract concerts Sioux Falls used to get by default. . . .

*(Note not from story: Frost Arena holds 9,000 and is just over 50 miles from Sioux Falls)

That argument probably will be cited as a main reason to build a new 12,000-seat events center in Sioux Falls, a controversial project that has been in the talking stages for years.  . . .

Some locals have said Sioux Falls needs its own Fargodome - a 26,000-seat venue. But Munson and DeCurtins agree that would be too big. The mayor thinks a 12,000- to 14,000-seat arena with the ability to add on in the future is the best choice for a city with a growing population. . . .

Even with the Tyson Events Center looming over the Arena, the thought of offering future tax money makes some Sioux Falls residents a little hesitant.

"They need tax money, and some of that is mine," said Lee Jacqua. "They're getting by with the one they've got. Still, they could use a couple thousand more seats there already."

"At this point, I don't really think it's necessary, with the Pavilion being a nice room, and the Arena has a few more years in it," said Mark Pollard, a 40-year-old Sioux Falls music fan. "I certainly wouldn't picket it or write complaint letters, but I don't know if we need it." . . .

"You're looking around and thinking we have a building that was built in 1962. And if we hadn't built it in 1962, where would we have been then?" said Munson. "I think it's the same message today. Where are we going to be if we don't build one today?"

IMHO Sioux Falls desperatly needs a new Arena.  The current building was put up over 40 years ago and is too small.  How much has Sioux Falls changed in the last 40 years.  How much bigger is Sioux Falls then 40 years ago.  Do they really want to fall behind Fargo and Sioux City?

I hope they do it, when we play Basketball in Sioux Falls it would be nice to have a bigger newer arena to go to.  I wish them luck.  

Re: Sioux Falls has FES members of its own

They are willing to spend all sorts of money to lure the Vikings to town for training camp (several weeks) as oppossed to raising funds to support the construction of a state-of-the-art arena that can be utilized year round. Seems a little short-sighted. Maybe they are afraid they will fall of the edge?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
    X