Argus Leader article on "Traditions"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader article on "Traditions"

Chris Solari takes aim at those that throw objects on the court at basketball games. Kind of ironic since his whole write-up of the Augie game on Sunday was based on the flying rabbits.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

Throwing objects morally bankrupt
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 2/10/2004

Universities should be ashamed of such events

On a level of depravity, Saturday's rabbit-throwing episode at the Augustana-South Dakota State men's basketball game ranks right up there with Janet Jackson's indecent exposure at the Super Bowl.

Neither morally bankrupt action has any place at a sporting event.

Call South Dakota's accepted fascination with fans heaving objects onto the basketball court a "tradition" all you want, but you are wrong. The definition of tradition assumes that an act is an unwritten law. Throwing a dead animal at an unsuspecting person performing their job, even in the name of a rivalry, is uncivilized behavior.

Label me an outsider and say I don't understand that it has gone on for years. Pretend I don't know about the time a whiskey bottle came from the stands and hit a player's face, shattering on the floor beside him. Just because this has happened in the past doesn't make it right, and perpetuating such shameful actions by clapping and cheering continues to make this state's sporting fans look foolish.

With SDSU's Andy Moeller shooting free throws in Saturday's first half, an Augustana student heaved a mammoth, dead hare onto the Elmen Center floor. The carcass landed right next to Moeller's adidas shoes, causing him to leap back in shock.

Then, as if it were some dignified act, the Augustana student section began chanting "Augie! Augie!" After the 2-foot-long rabbit was disposed of and the floor wiped clean, the Vikings were assessed a technical foul.

It looked as if the same bunny returned in the second half, again being thrown by an Augustana student. Another student ran courtside and picked it up, whipping it around as if the team he allegedly supports had just won a championship. Of course, the Vikings trailed by 30 points.

It made Augustana look asinine.

Security guards manned the entrance to the Elmen Center, inspecting coats, bags and purses. As SDSU coach Scott Nagy said after the game, there was no way those checkers should have missed a dead animal that large unless someone purposely looked the other way.

That is a giant black mark on the host university. Administrators need to provide protection for fans and players. They failed miserably. Post-9/11, you would hope a university would take security a little more seriously.

And then there are the students involved. If this is higher learning, I'm certainly glad I didn't go to a South Dakota college. It isn't just Augustana, either. Last year, carrots thrown at the DakotaDome prompted four technical fouls in the SDSU-University of South Dakota women's game. Before the USD-SDSU men's game at Frost Arena last season, a Coyote head was thrown onto the court during Josh Mueller's introduction.

SDSU finally held stringent security searches at the Jan. 9 USD-SDSU game that was televised from Brookings. No technicals were needed. An incident like that at a Division I school isn't applauded, like it was by fans Saturday at Elmen. It becomes a national embarrassment, and SDSU administrators know that.

Hopefully new USD Athletic Director Joel Nielsen will follow suit and keep the court clean when the two schools meet again - possibly for the last time - on Feb. 28 in Vermillion. That would allow the rivalry to go out with the dignity it deserves, solely being settled by the athletes on the court.

The North Central Conference also might want to install new rules to protect participants. The first offense would remain a technical. The second might call for the ejection of both head coaches. See how quickly they will grab a microphone - like USD women's coach Chad Lavin finally did after his team's fourth technical last year - and tell the fans to knock it off, possibly even before it starts.

I have covered athletic events at every level all over the country. Though such deplorable actions are increasing nationally, No other fans reach the level of premeditated selfishness as South Dakota fans show when two of their universities meet.

Sit and watch a Duke-North Carolina basketball game, arguably the best rivalry in all of sports. Though you'll hear the same obscenities that fans took upon themselves to use Saturday, objects don't fly from the stands. It's completely unacceptable there, and it should be in South Dakota, too.

Re: Argus Leader article on "Traditions"

All this clown is doing is bringing more attention to something that is most likely not going away until we stop playing either school. I sent him an e-mail yesterday that questioned why he spent all of Sundays article focused on the Rabbits thrown on the court rather than the total dominence of the Jacks. I also asked when we were going to hear something positive out of the Argus about the move by SDSU to DI. Encourage others to contact Chris Solari.

Comment

This is one individuals take on the situation. It just so happens that he has a venue known as the Argus Leader and we have this forum. Given that the Augie men will not make the NCC tourney we should be done seeing them on the B.B. court and hopefully were done seeing dead rabbits heaved from the stands.

I think, indirectly, Chris is showing some support for SDSU, at the least he is scolding Augie and USD. Nice that he pointed out the 30 point defecit and the excellent job security did at Frost.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I stayed over in Sioux Falls a few days and listened to the local sports radio station1230 KSWN and it's amazing how many Augie Fans called in an supported the tradition of throwing rabbits onto the court. I know Billeter is trying to rebuild the program however I would have grabbed a microphone and scolded the crowd for their stupid antics. The security there was a joke and to allow a student to run down and pick up the rabbit and swing it around was amazing. I will pull for Augie as my instate favorite in the NCC in the future they are truly the underdog and its too bad a couple of idiots hurts there team every year.

Comment

Must be a slow news day!!! Chris Solari couldn't let his terrible article from Sunday go away. This tradition Solari talks about is much older than he is. Comparing the tossing of rabbits to Janet Jackson's breast exposure and expecting better security because of 9/11. What was this guy thinking? Oh, I know...maybe his boss is so infatuated with USF that he thought this would be another opportunity to slam the NCC schools.
          I encourage everyone to write a letter to the editor telling Solari to go back from wherever he came from. He consistently takes shots at "South Dakotans" in his article. What a waste of ink...and 50 cents.

Comment

The masses have spoken.

http://www.argusleader.com/talkback/..._response.html

Comment

CatchEmAll_Guy has posted the site for the Argus Leader's readers' opinion poll about the habit of throwing dead things and such on the basketball floor. It's an interesting read. I just picked up the sports section to today's Argus which highlights the "online" poll. What struck me as interesting is that only SDSU's logo is included. I don't mind the publicity but I found it odd that only our logo was used.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                CatchEmAll_Guy has posted the site for the Argus Leader's readers' opinion poll about the habit of throwing dead things and such on the basketball floor. It's an interesting read. I just picked up the sports section to today's Argus which highlights the "online" poll. What struck me as interesting is that only SDSU's logo is included. I don't mind the publicity but I found it odd that only our logo was used.

Too often what is coached in terms of "tradition" really translates to Foolish Antics We've All Come to Expect.

I have never been pleased with the situation in my seven years of sports. What was particularly sickening was the incident at the football field about two years ago when, the opponent escapes me, someone (USD?) dumped a bunch of crap on the football field and killed a great swath of grass.

In speaking with a member of the grounds crew, who was in charge of field maintainence, he said this, which is roughly paraphrased.

People came onto the field and put some sort of herbicide on the ground. The decision was made, high up, to leave this rather than fix it. While it would have been well within the capabilities of the crew to repair such a harm, they felt it important to leave the damage visible. The football staff, rightly I suspect, knew this had more of a motivational effect than a detrimental effect on the players and fans.

I am not a fan of Chris Solari, but he's getting roasted for having common sense, in this case. He's spot on. I don't care that "nobody gets hurt". Why is it acceptible to dump dead animals on the ground at a basketball arena? We wouldn't tolerate this in any other venue, so why is this tolerated here?

If, during graduation, people tossed dead rabbits and carrots on to the graduates, would we laugh and say, "How silly! How lovely our 'traditions' are!"

If I walked into a USD classroom and threw a dead coyote, would everyone look fondly upon that? How is that different?

Rather than mince words here, I will say that anyone who views this as being harmless is a stupid fop. Never would I appreciate getting hit with a dead animal. Dead animals are hardly the most sanitary things to be carrying around and tossing around.

It's baseless and crude. Nothing more. Let's not denegrate legitimate and uplifiting traditions by lumping them into the same category as disorderly conduct.

Much of the criticism of Solari is in the form of him being an outsider. We've all become so used to stupidity that it hurts too much when someone who can see it from without, rather than within, rightly labels it as foolish.

It's not an attack, as so many have taken it, on any school or any person. It's an attack on stupidity. There's plenty of traditions that have no place -- drunks vomiting in the stands, during Hobo Days, for instance.

And, though I quote someone from this thread, it's not an criticism of anything you've written here. It's an general response, not a pointed attack on anyone. This stuff has bugged me for quite a while. The real shame is that it's taken so long for there to be any real public discourse about it, and I'm afraid the consensus is for more, rather than less, antics.

Basketball is about basketball, not dead state symbols or produce.

Comment

I agree with Buster and I'll take it a step further. Not only is throwing things on the court wrong, yelling slurs (racial and others), profanity or threatening violence against a player, coach, or even the officials is not acceptable behavior. "Screw the U and Augie too" or "Go back to the farm" or "Start the bus, start the bus" etc.. are fine. Chucking animals, pennies, batteries, pop cups, slurs or profanity are not and should not be tolerated.

Granted, we all cuss out the refs, boo, etc.. but I trust we know where to draw the line. Remember, these guys are college students participating in athletics as part of their secondary education. Purchasing a ticket to watch them play or buying merchandise with their name on it does not give anyone license to put them in danger by throwing thing on the playing field or to denegrate them via verbal abuse.

The vast majority of them will not go on to professional careers and although athletics will have been a big part of their lives it is unlikely that they will make it their careers. Most will be no more than fans in the future.

Solari is right. Even is this is part of "tradition" or the "rivalry" it is a bad part and needs to go away. I personally don't care to stand in line to be frisked by security (I suspect Buster might) so instead of requiring someone to police this policy lets make a conscerted effort to improve and expect improved behavior from all.

As my 3rd grade teacher (who was my Grandma, small town S.D. for you) would say, "Remember the Golden Rule, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Solari is right. Even is this is part of "tradition" or the "rivalry" it is a bad part and needs to go away. I personally don't care to stand in line to be frisked by security (I suspect Buster might) so instead of requiring someone to police this policy lets make a conscerted effort to improve and expect improved behavior from all.
                    Latest unsubstantiated word from those close to those in the know (translation: overheard, but not verified) was that the dead rabbits are brought in player bags. In other words, some players have brought rabbits in and passed them off to fellow students -- this despite knowing full well what the consequences were (a technical). But, and I'll leave this as an exercise to the reader, the rabbits were used during subsequent games later in the evening.

Comment

Working...
                    X