Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrogance

Buster,

During the past week you made the blanket statement that SDSU was arrogant. I asked you to provide some examples to support your conclusion. I'd sure like to know why you made the statement.

Re: Arrogance

I agree! It's easy to make a statement. Let's see some examples to support the statement!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
      I agree! It's easy to make a statement. Let's see some examples to support the statement!

What was the statement? I'm not recalling anything in particular, but that's not to say it didn't happen. On the contrary, I'm curious which it was.

---

Ok, scratch that. I think you're probably referencing the commentary regarding the arrogance of the process of the DI move and my feelings that it left many people, me included, with a certian bitter aftertaste.

There's nothing empirical I can point to. What it comes down to is how I view things and how others view things. My impression of cold and warm is likely different from someone else. I can't convince someone who's cold that the room is in fact quite nice, any more than someone who likes spicy food can convince me a taco that burns my mouth is in fact not spicy.

There's nothing I can add, except to say that if you disagree, I have no beef with that. I was not impressed with the process and procedure. Like I mentioned, too much too late was conducted in the dark. But what's navy blue to one is black to another.

Comment

Buster:
        Now that giving specifics, you lost me ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Comment

Since Buster loves to beat around the bush I will provide example of arrogance that gives SDSU a bad name from JACKRABBIT BASKETBALL AUTHORED BY BUSTER.

"The Jackrabbit women blew open their contest with a 19-4 run to start the second half. Head SCSU coach Lori Ulferts could do nothing more than march up and down the sideline like some caged animal whose medication should be adjusted as her Huskie women, ranked #6 in the region, went down like the wreck of the Hindenberg. Ulferts is a frightening woman with a lot of pain and anger in her eyes and no one could feel safe till she was off the court. The women are now in a tie for first place in the NCC as the NDSU Bison fell to USD in Vermillion."

Was it necessary to tear a women's basketball coach apart in this fashion?  Where is your class? Oh I forgot you dont have any.

Comment

SDSUFAN,

You know I love you, but you need to cut Buster some slack.  I believe http://jacksbasketball.com/ goes for an over the top type approach to reporting Jackrabbit Games.  It is a type of satire and I for one enjoy it.  It makes me laugh.

Buster and I don't always agree, and he and I don't see eye to eye on this one either but that is ok.  If I understood him correctly, he felt it was arrogant the way SDSU decided to move ahead without a conference after we had self-imposed finding a Conf. before we moved ahead with our D-I move.  He says he is in favor of the move to D-I and I believe him.

What he sees as arrogant, I see as realistic and pragmatic.  After developing a plan it is always wise to stop periodically and make sure that the plan still makes sense.  If it dosen't then change it and move on.  That is how I see the decision to move without a Conf. (Needed to stay in step with NDSU, NCC was trying to trap us with new deadlines, etc.).  If Buster sees it different that is ok, it dosent' make him bad or anything.  After all he is a Jackrabbit and not a Yote or Viking.  Buster, please forgive me if I misrepresented your opinion.   I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth.

SDSUFAN, please don't see this as an attack.  I think you and I are on the same page on this issue.  I just felt the need to be a Uniter.    Can't we all just get along  ??? ;D

Comment

Well said rabbit, This board is all about opinions, my post's often have a "were better than you" tone to them. Why... because I went to SDSU- The biggest and best university in South Dakota! I love reading Busters' game reviews. I for one think that SDSU's administration went out of their way explaining our move up to D1. I was called and talked to at length before our announcement by a research team to find out what I thought as an alumni/donor. but Buster is entitled to his opinion. Always remember we are all SDSU fans here. and thats all that really matters.

Comment

89 RABBIT AND TEX:

No I dont take your comments personal, I think we have a disagreement about Buster. He has said some things in a strong fashion which I think is not necessary. ie the comments about the SCSU bb coach. We soundly defeated SCSU so why pick on the coach. Buster also took a shot at the State Magazine. He likes to shot and and hide from cover.

I guess if he going to have this site and do stories, I would prefer that he not act in an immature manner thats all.

Comment

SDSUFAN,

Fair enough.  You too are entitled to your opinion and as stated before, you and I agree much more then we disagree.  

Go State!

Comment

My 2 cents:

The outlet provided by this board and the internet in general allows individuals to develop/express a variation in their personality. Often, this includes a more open dialogue where someone might express an opinion/view that they would not normally express in a discussion at work, chruch, school, etc.. where there true identity, personality and character traits are well known.

I think this is good but it does lend itself to some debate. Each and everyone who posts on this sight chooses to reveal how much they want others on this sight to know about them. In the real world this is much more difficult to do.

What I am trying to say is: take the opinions expressed by the members of this sight as just that, opinions. Then consider the source and temper any aggitation or hard-feelings regarding those opinions or the individuals who expressed them. Take things in the context of a message board designed to allow SDSU fans to express opinions (positive and negative) through a medium which is not quite real life.

Buster, SDSUFAN, jackmd, Alumguy, etc.. I would wager that we act differently in our lives outsided this board, with the exception that we always remain diehard Jackrabbit fans and supporters.

Finally, I am not attempting to speak for everyone who posts on this board, but it would sure be interesting to meet some of the individuals who post here, face-to-face, and see just who they are. The more members we have, the more opinions and information we can gather to stimulate further discussion about the greatest school not yet at the DI level.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

jackmd,
                      Regarding your desire to meet some of us...
                      You are always welcome to join the SDSU alumni beer drinking team (membership is free). We meet at Cubbys before big games. You'd be welcomed by 89rabbit, CycloneJack, and myself. I'm hoping the next meeting will be during the regionals and if that goes well, there is going to be a chapter meeting in Bakersfield. (that one will be a doosey!!!!) ;D
                      Texas

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                        Since Buster loves to beat around the bush I will provide example of arrogance that gives SDSU a bad name from JACKRABBIT BASKETBALL AUTHORED BY BUSTER.

"The Jackrabbit women blew open their contest with a 19-4 run to start the second half. Head SCSU coach Lori Ulferts could do nothing more than march up and down the sideline like some caged animal whose medication should be adjusted as her Huskie women, ranked #6 in the region, went down like the wreck of the Hindenberg. Ulferts is a frightening woman with a lot of pain and anger in her eyes and no one could feel safe till she was off the court. The women are now in a tie for first place in the NCC as the NDSU Bison fell to USD in Vermillion."

Was it necessary to tear a women's basketball coach apart in this fashion? Where is your class? Oh I forgot you dont have any.

I'm rather impressed at the ad hominem attack, which I find rather ironic as you're complaining about an ad hominem attack on the coach.

Second, Buster doesn't write anything on JacksBB. I'm sort of like an ombusdman. The author, who is closely associated, but entirely independent of me, does in fact read this board regularly.

Third, because the original post in this thread made no mention to exactly what the complaint was, figuring out a vague statement and intent was nearly impossible.

If you noticed, JacksBB has a comment feature. Anyone can leave comments on the site if they wish. That would have been a better place to make a complaint, as it would have been rather clear what the concern was.

I don't have any preference if one disagrees or agrees with anything on JacksBB, as it's not as if there's any money to be made or any advertising. However, I'm somewhat shocked at the uproar. But, our commitment to customer service is solid enough that we can offer a 100 percent money back assurance.

Truth be told, the problem comes from the fact that it was wholly unclear what the issue was based on such a vague reply. Here I thought the concern was that I thought some of the people involved in the DI move had an arrogant posture. Despite repeatedly mentioning my unconditional support for the move, my patrotism was called into question. While I have in fact been both to Canada and France, I assure you that I do support the DI move, and even attend church. I know all the words to the Pledge, and always remove my hat or cap during the anthem.

While I did not serve in Vietnam, I also did not protest during the war either. In fact, I wasn't even born until shortly after the fall of Saigon. Never did I use my involvement in the National Guard for any personal or political gain. I have no speeding tickets either.

Point is, JacksBB stands by its coverage. That will not waiver. Ever.

And, as I'm not running for political office, I have no responsibility to satisfy anyone's craving for an explanation. JacksBB does not explain itself. The Argus Leader and the Brookings Register also cover Jacks games, if you'd prefer a source more responsive to reader complaints.

I can't speak for the principal author of JacksBB, but I can say that there's a great deal of time spent trying to point out the things that are often only visible by those who attend the games.

After inquiring about the validity of the comments on the SCSU coach, the reply was:

"She reminds me of fear."

Comment

Buster, thanks. Let me ask. Is it tequilla or mushrooms that you are on right now?

Comment

Buster:

If you are not responsible for the articles, then why did you give us that impression when that site was called to our attention on this very board?  In general I dont like the tone of your comments.  They dont represent a guy who claims to have been on campus 7 years. If in fact your are faculty or grad student, I would think you would be more careful in what you say on the this board and other places on the internet.

I never questioned your loyality and calling your comments immature is hardly an ad homimen.  Its been nearly 40 years since I was on campus, but by god I know that that latin term means so you did not snow me with that term.  I am not now or have attacked your character. The smilies in the past post clearly made because I did not understand what you said.

You seem to be very self centered and have never walked in the shoes of the SCSU coach for one and the President and AD of SDSU for others. If you were  Mr Editor of sdsubasketball you would have deleted the reference to the SCSU coach.  It was not a good thing to say and asininly immature. Your writer also needs some maturity if they want to hold themselves out as a journalist.

Have you ever coached?  Do you know what it takes to win the NCC and if you dont how do you explain a seaon to the AD or a President? I think every NCC coach is under pressure, they dont need that kind of comments that was expressed by the writer whom you do not control.

Have you ever been a president of an institution that has 11,000 students, and have you ever been an AD that has to do studies to support the transition of D2 to D1?   I have never been close to assuming those responsiblities, but I do respect the people that are capable of being hired and work in those positions.

Doing what is required of you in your job seldom allows for a ego trip or the opportunity to be arrogant.  I doubt President Miller nor Fred Oien had any time to be arrogant.  Because you preceived arrogance, does not make it so.

Because Carr and Associates, the consultants recommended finding a conference, it all of a sudden became etched in stone with the Argus, Jim Marking and all the other naysayers.

When the other D1 members will not take you serious in terms of finding a conference until you file an application for D1 membership then you have no choice but to move forward without a conference.  The other alternative would be to stay D2. Thats hardly arrogance, its called using your head instead of your a##.

I never questioned your loyalty but I do question your maturity.  

Comment

I think you guys need to settle down. If jacksbb.com is too imature for you, don't read it. I happen to really like the reports and the additional commentary that livens up the story. I think you need to relax a little SDSUFan.
                              Can't we all just get along?

Comment

Working...
                              X