UND incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND incident

great article on Matt Jones in the argus, what a class act.
    Very proud that he is part of our team at STate.

I heard from a friend this weekend about an incident that happened between Matt and the UND staff either this year or last year involving Dr. Oien and Coach Nagy. Probably old news, I'm sure you all know, just wondering if there were any details to what happened.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Re: UND incident

I wasnt there but I understand Rich Glas was having more than a pleastant conversation with Matt Jones during the pregame warm-up and it appeared to Fred that maybe he was recruiting an athlete that was still under the letter of intent he signed with SDSU.

From what I heard, Fred told Rich to back off and leave his student athlete alone. Glas comes across as classy person, but I think its also possible that he was trying to find out if a transfer to UND was in Jones mind.

This kind of an inquiry is a violation of NCC and NCAA rules. Your UND fans over on SiouxSports.com would say that Glass was just saying hello, but if Fred came unglued like the UND fans assert then, it was probably more than a hello type conversation.

Once an athlete signs a letter of intent, it may not mean much on signing day in terms of how much scholarship money a given athlete will receive, but its a binding document and if say Matt Jones were to transfer to UND, a SDSU release would be necessary.

Butch Raymond then the SCSU bb coach was alleged of recruiting Todd Bauman when he spent his first year at SDSU. I think it was hard to prove, but that too may have been weighing in on Fred at the time up in ND.

Comment

Its been discussed in great detail in previous posts on this site, Siouxsports.com, and Bisonville. It comes down to the fact that SDSU won the recruiting battle for Jone's over UND. Coach Glass (UND) was visiting with Matt last year after the UND game at Frost and Dr. Oien and Coach Nagy took expection. No one knows who was right or wrong but the situation got out of hand. Its in the past, nothing to worry about, now.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You would never see Coach Nagy visiting with Kalvin Kappels from UNO although he was high on Nagy's recruit list. Funny part about Kappels is that the USD announcers said that Kappels was a cousin of USD's Nate Blessen and they too thought they had Kappels bagged, only to loose out to UNO. No 7 in case you were at the games in Omaha.

There are rules about this and it does not suprise me that Glas had overstepped the boundries, and as I said I was not there so dont know.

We have a classy coach in Scott Nagy and thats all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
          You would never see Coach Nagy visiting with Kalvin Kappels from UNO although he was high on Nagy's recruit list.  Funny part about Kappels is that the USD announcers said that Kappels was a cousin of USD's Nate Blessen and they too thought they had Kappels bagged, only to loose out to UNO. No 7 in case you were at the games in Omaha.

There are rules about this and it does not suprise me that Glas had overstepped the boundries, and as I said I was not there so dont know.

We have a classy coach in Scott Nagy and thats all that matters.
          There are rules, but player-coach conversations take place while the teams are waiting around after nearly every single game. It took place this year at Hyslop between the shorter African American SDSU assistant and Keith Parks, the UND medical redshirt. There is no harm in it being done, just mutually respecting individuals talking. I was in Frost when it took place. Every SDSU fan left in the building, most of them parents, were completely embaressed. Matt Jones parents were right there when the mad AD went off, their faces were beat red and they actually apologized to Rich for what went on. If anyone was there they would know exactly what went on. And the tyrade didn't stop in the arena, the mad AD then followed out to the bus and continued yelling with R rated language. Trying to spin things to make your team look not in the wrong is stupid, being a fan is one thing but being an oblivious, "my team can do no wrong" fan is the absolute worst kind. The fault was in Oien, no other person. He was acting as though he was extremely drunk and without a grip on reality. Next year at a SDSU home game, ask parents of players who would have been there, there is only 1 story and everyone there tells it the exact same, be it a SDSU sympathizer or UND sympathizer. Through the recent accusations against Oien, it whouldn't exactly seem out of charcter.

Comment

Originally posted by D
            There are rules, but player-coach conversations take place while the teams are waiting around after nearly every single game.  It took place this year at Hyslop between the shorter African American SDSU assistant and Keith Parks, the UND medical redshirt.  There is no harm in it being done, just mutually respecting individuals talking.  I was in Frost when it took place.  Every SDSU fan left in the building, most of them parents, were completely embaressed.  Matt Jones parents were right there when the mad AD went off, their faces were beat red and they actually apologized to Rich for what went on.  If anyone was there they would know exactly what went on.  And the tyrade didn't stop in the arena, the mad AD then followed out to the bus and continued yelling with R rated language.  Trying to spin things to make your team look not in the wrong is stupid, being a fan is one thing but being an oblivious, "my team can do no wrong" fan is the absolute worst kind.  The fault was in Oien, no other person.  He was acting as though he was extremely drunk and without a grip on reality.  Next year at a SDSU home game, ask parents of players who would have been there, there is only 1 story and everyone there tells it the exact same, be it a SDSU sympathizer or UND sympathizer.  Through the recent accusations against Oien, it whouldn't exactly seem out of charcter.  
            I have not idea what this incident was about or when it took place, merely commenting on this particular post. Seems kind of hypocritical to say what I've bolded in the quote above, yet D is basically saying Rich Glas did nothing wrong. And then it's real appropriate to say that Dr. Oien appeared drunk and out of grip with reality after his recent problems. Granted D's take on the story could be right, or slanted from a UND perspective, but from reading this post it seems as this UND fan has a "my team can do no wrong" attitude.

Like I said, wasn't there, don't know anything about the incident except for what's posted on this board, just commenting on D's reaction.

Comment

This is typical of D. If we're lucky he will continue to be an infrequent visitor here. Little of what he says is worth reading anyways. Ignore his posts and stick to more productive conversations.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Living down here in Vermillion I here all types of random rumors and field all kinds of crazy questions about possible transfers (due to the D1 move) when walk into to Hy-Vee sporting blue and yellow. I just let the 'yote fans say their peace and move on. It's not worth wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by D

There are rules, but player-coach conversations take place while the teams are waiting around after nearly every single game.  It took place this year at Hyslop between the shorter African American SDSU assistant and Keith Parks, the UND medical redshirt.  There is no harm in it being done, just mutually respecting individuals talking.  I was in Frost when it took place.  Every SDSU fan left in the building, most of them parents, were completely embaressed.  Matt Jones parents were right there when the mad AD went off, their faces were beat red and they actually apologized to Rich for what went on.  If anyone was there they would know exactly what went on.  And the tyrade didn't stop in the arena, the mad AD then followed out to the bus and continued yelling with R rated language.  Trying to spin things to make your team look not in the wrong is stupid, being a fan is one thing but being an oblivious, "my team can do no wrong" fan is the absolute worst kind.  The fault was in Oien, no other person.  He was acting as though he was extremely drunk and without a grip on reality.  Next year at a SDSU home game, ask parents of players who would have been there, there is only 1 story and everyone there tells it the exact same, be it a SDSU sympathizer or UND sympathizer.  Through the recent accusations against Oien, it whouldn't exactly seem out of charcter.  
                  So D, did you have Fred blow up a balloon and did you just happen to have your breathe analyzer handy to determine that Fred was indeed intoxicated or are you just relying on rumor in making the character comment?

Also Rich Glas should have realized that the home visits with the Matt Jones family were over when he signed his letter of intent, and I am sure that this is what got Fred riled up.  The NCC members are suppose to respect one another, but that cocky little sh@thead Rich Glass feels he can do as he pleases.  The NCC has gone to hell since Noel Olson retired as the commissioner.  Marcil has no clue on how to control the conference. I glad SDSU has left.  Marcil is a jerk and plays favorites like Roger Thomas and the big Fart face from UNO.

Comment

So D, did you have Fred blow up a balloon and did you just happen to have your breathe analyzer handy to determine that Fred was indeed intoxicated or are you just relying on rumor in making the character comment?

Please read my earlier post for content rather then speed.  I didn't say he was intoxicated, I said "he was acting like he was drunk", I left my breathalizer at home so I have no way of verifying if he was, but the way obscenities were being thrown out in public it seemed like the actions of a drunk man.  But, like I said, there is only 1 version of the story, and it is shared by both UND and SDSU followers alike.

Before the game at Hyslop this year, I was at a local watering hole named Dagwoods, and there were 5, maybe 10 SDSU fans in there, a number were wearing SDSU apparrel.  I stuck up a conversation with one of the men, a real nice 45 or so year old who even offerred me a drink.  Anyway, I asked him if he always travelled with the team.  He responded with, "sometimes, but after the scherades (sp?) that some in the SDSU administration pulled right after the game last year in Brookings, I figured I owed something to the economy of GF."  I asked him if he was talking about Oien, he said yes.  I told him I was there last year as well, told him what I saw, and he said that he and the people he was with at that particular game saw very literally the exact same thing I and my party saw.  He said he was very embaressed, that I shouldn't hold that against SDSU becaus eit in no ways represents what goes on there.  I talked to the man for a good 25 minutes actually, he left a very good impression on me.  He told me that there were not many people who actually knew the events of that postgame, that it was kind of forgotten by people who witnessed it because it was such a humiliating and juvenile display.  We talked about other things, but nothing really relavent to the discussion at hand.  

I have conversed with 1 other SDSU fan who had the same version of the goings on I had because he said he thought he recognized me as being in the gym when everything went down, don't ask me how.  I would put my life on the fact that jackrabbit1979, the person who started this thead, was told the very same thing that I have said, Rich Glas was engaging in casual conversation with Matt Jones with Jones' parents right there when a man from the second level of Frost went off.  I would have no problem admitting if Rich Glas was at fault in the slightest, I can admit to faults within the university that educated me, Hell, our current President is terrible, we have a big facility issue right now with the building of new arenas and the old ones seemingly sitting there to waste, and Eddy Schultz, while being one hell of a play-by-play guy to listen to, is a complete ass of a man and a sellout.  But I am not blinded by a little false reality saying "I like, therefore it cannot be wrong".  

Comment

Originally posted by D

Rich Glas was engaging in casual conversation with Matt Jones with Jones' parents right there when a man from the second level of Frost went off.  I would have no problem admitting if Rich Glas was at fault in the slightest
                      Better info, I was not there when it went down but this is what I understand happened. I suspect all parties are at fault (except Matt or his family, of course) in some way and are quite embarassed by the whole event. I hope the proper people apologized and the issue is moot everywhere but our bizarre little internet chat world.

Comment

I am frankly sick of this subject, it has been discussed to death! I dont think anyone on this board can re write history-I wasnt there-I dont know what happened. Lets move on! Ive never been so tired of a topic in my life.
                        EVERYONE MOVE ON !!

Comment

Originally posted by D

There are rules, but player-coach conversations take place while the teams are waiting around after nearly every single game. It took place this year at Hyslop between the shorter African American SDSU assistant and Keith Parks, the UND medical redshirt. There is no harm in it being done, just mutually respecting individuals talking. I was in Frost when it took place. Every SDSU fan left in the building, most of them parents, were completely embaressed. Matt Jones parents were right there when the mad AD went off, their faces were beat red and they actually apologized to Rich for what went on. If anyone was there they would know exactly what went on. And the tyrade didn't stop in the arena, the mad AD then followed out to the bus and continued yelling with R rated language. Trying to spin things to make your team look not in the wrong is stupid, being a fan is one thing but being an oblivious, "my team can do no wrong" fan is the absolute worst kind. The fault was in Oien, no other person. He was acting as though he was extremely drunk and without a grip on reality. Next year at a SDSU home game, ask parents of players who would have been there, there is only 1 story and everyone there tells it the exact same, be it a SDSU sympathizer or UND sympathizer. Through the recent accusations against Oien, it whouldn't exactly seem out of charcter.
                          No, the sad part is that Oien apparently comes unglued regularly. Drunk? Go figure.

Comment

Tired as this subject maybe, the fact that Glas was conversing with the Jones Family would be against the rules, as it appears to be a home visit continued. No doubt Glas was asking" Matt are you happy at SDSU?" Gee we sure would like to have you wear Green and if you need to get out of your letter of intent, we will help you. All I have to do is talk to Mike Marcil in Sioux Falls. Easy as that. And how are you Mr. Jones, cattle prices are in the tank now thats the shi@ts and so on so forth and if Nagy got involved you bet it was a home visit. I think Fred had the right to run Glas off. The game was over and he had no business hanging around Frost, especially if he was busy talking to SDSU players and family. Why would you do that but to recruit current SDSU players? I dont think Rich likes Frost that much.

So Glas would have been smart to check to see if all his gear and players were on the bus and got out of town. Thats what visiting coaches are to do. They have no right to recruit the current roster. Thats not spin thats the rules.
                            Fred was right and I am glad he ran Rich out the door as he deserved to be run out. Glass was breaking the rules. What one of 5000 fans who were at the game thinks is of no consequence. Just because they are at Dagwoods drinking a beer these fans whoever they are do not represent me nor speak for me.

Comment

Tired as this subject maybe, the fact that Glas was conversing with the Jones Family would be against the rules, as it appears to be a home visit continued. No doubt Glas was asking" Matt are you happy at SDSU?" Gee we sure would like to have you wear Green and if you need to get out of your letter of intent, we will help you. All I have to do is talk to Mike Marcil in Sioux Falls. Easy as that. And how are you Mr. Jones, cattle prices are in the tank now thats the shi@ts and so on so forth and if Nagy got involved you bet it was a home visit. I think Fred had the right to run Glas off. The game was over and he had no business hanging around Frost, especially if he was busy talking to SDSU players and family. Why would you do that  but to recruit current SDSU players? I dont think Rich likes Frost that much.

So Glas would have been smart to check to see if all his gear and players were on the bus and got out of town. Thats what visiting coaches are to do. They have no right to recruit the current roster.  Thats not spin thats the rules.
                              Fred was right and I am glad he ran Rich out the door as he deserved to be run out.  Glass was breaking the rules.  What one of 5000 fans who were at the game thinks is of no consequence.  Just because they are at Dagwoods drinking a beer these fans whoever they are do not represent me nor speak for me.
                              The fans don't speak or represent you, but they offer voices from the other side (SDSU) who describe the incident in the exact same manner as I do. And if it is such a violation, I will say again, how come it wasn't an issue in Hyslop after the game a few weeks ago when the short African American SDSU assistant was conversing with Keith Parks, a player he recruited, after the game while waiting for SDSU players to get out of the shower? Surely in your eyes that coach was re-recruiting Parks then, or was he not because he is SDSU affiliated, unable to do wrong in your eyes? Or was he doing just what Rich Glas was, talking to an injured player from the opposition whom he had recruited while killing time until the showers are shut off? I'll make it easy on by writing your response for you, your coach was in the right but Glas was in the wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X