Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a DI school in S.D.

Here is something to chew on.:

How many times during your days at SDSU, before, or after, have you visited with family and friends about the need for a DI school in S.D.  Perhaps the conversation started more like "I can't believe there isn't a DI school is S.D., we have pleny of students here at State."  or "Wyoming and Montana have DI schools but N.D. and S.D. don't, what gives?" or "I sure would like to see SDSU make the move to DI."

Guess what, the dream is coming true!!  I don't know about your individual experiences but I have heard many positives and many negatives about the move to DI.  I have many friends (despite what pb might have you believe) and they seem to be split on the issue.  

What I have noticed is that alumni of other universities in the state, including friends from USD, NSU, and Augie, are generally oppossed to the move with a few exceptions.  My friends with limited or no college education are also generally oppossed to the move or apathetic.

Interestingly, my friends who have completed med school, law school (many at USD) or other professional degrees, regardless of university affiliation, are unanimously in support of the move.  These people are bright, intelligent S.D. natives who want the best for the future of their state and more importantly their children.  

Now, I am not saying that you must have a higher level of education to support SDSU's move to DI but I am finding, that in the circles I navigate, those in favor are more educated than those oppossed.  Maybe its just coincidence.   I doubt it though.  Let me know what you guys think.

pb, you're lurking, but I/we still haven't heard from you again.  Don't allow yourself to be intimidated like you have previously (just a guess here), this is your chance to be heard and you don't have to reveal who you are.  This is a perfect forum for your passive-aggresive personality.  Use your voice, release some of the aggression, stop repressing those feelings!!!  Take it out on me if you'd like.  Just offering.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Finally a DI school in S.D.

jackmd,

I would tend to agree, it really comes down to how deeply they look at this complicated issue. If and when people take the time to understand what being D-I is and they look at the big picture they realize that SDSU has been D-I for years and they didn't know it.

It's getting them to make that initial investment in the facts that proves to be tough for some. Many of the nay sayers are too comfortable with the way things are, or should I say intellectually lazy, to take that first step of just exploring the facts.

Luckly, we have many people of Vison on our side. People who not only see things as they are today, but can see things as they can and should be in the future. It is truely a GREAT time to be part of the South Dakota State University family!

Go SDSU!

Comment

A point I've tried to make on a couple of occasions is that unless you're D-I, you simply don't exist as far as the national psyche is concerned.  Here in Kansas City, you can get into spirited conversations about Big 12, C-USA, Missouri Valley, and yes, even Mid-Con teams.

Unless you're an MIAA D-II team down here, nobody knows that you exist and frankly, they don't care.

We're not talking about some exotic locale here, we're talking Kansas City, only six hours drive from Brookings.

In Kansas City, the NCC doesn't exist.  It is a non-factor.  It is irrelevant.  It might as well be the DAC-10.

I'm not talking about athletics, either.  I'm talking about "where did you go to school?"  South Dakota State.  Dakota State.  Minot State.  Black Hills State.

"Oh, that's nice."

To be blunt, if you're not an NCAA D-I school (and you're not MIT or CalTech) you might as well not exist.

That's the view from the real world.   Sorry about that, USD.  It's not really about athletics.  It's about promotion and public relations.  Division II, Division III, NAIA, they're all the same..."small colleges."  "Major colleges" are NCAA Division I.  End of discussion.

So, who in South Dakota should be a "major college?"
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Most importantly (I hope) is that the true supporters of this move recognize that the early/transition period into DI will be a difficult one.  Not nearly as difficult if we recognize that it will be (kind of confusing, huh).  But, like any good thing in life, it has to be earned.  The decision to move up to DI does not mean that we will automatically be successful at this level.  It will require continued vigilance and a desire to always strive to improve SDSU at the academic and athletic level.

The next goal, athletically, should be to find an appropriate conference for as many athletic teams as possible.  From an academic standpoint we need to begin to recruit professors interested in the opportunities a DI university and increased funding can offer.

I don't care if I see success on the court or field in my lifetime.  Just knowing that my children (I have 2 right now) have the opportunity to attend a DI university within the state of S.D. satisfies me.  I will be supporting one of the two universities in the state from which I graduated.  I bet you can guess which one.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          A point I've tried to make on a couple of occasions is that unless you're D-I, you simply don't exist as far as the national psyche is concerned.  Here in Kansas City, you can get into spirited conversations about Big 12, C-USA, Missouri Valley, and yes, even Mid-Con teams.

Unless you're an MIAA D-II team down here, nobody knows that you exist and frankly, they don't care.

We're not talking about some exotic locale here, we're talking Kansas City, only six hours drive from Brookings.

In Kansas City, the NCC doesn't exist.  It is a non-factor.  It is irrelevant.  It might as well be the DAC-10.

I'm not talking about athletics, either.  I'm talking about "where did you go to school?"  South Dakota State.  Dakota State.  Minot State.  Black Hills State.

"Oh, that's nice."

To be blunt, if you're not an NCAA D-I school (and you're not MIT or CalTech) you might as well not exist.

That's the view from the real world.   Sorry about that, USD.  It's not really about athletics.  It's about promotion and public relations.  Division II, Division III, NAIA, they're all the same..."small colleges."  "Major colleges" are NCAA Division I.  End of discussion.

So, who in South Dakota should be a "major college?"
          I agree with filbert 100%. I travel all over the nation for my job and the same it true all across America. The move isn't just about sports. It is also about the chances of future SDSU grads to get that job. When people think of D-II, D-III, NAIA, they think of little schools with little programs (athletically and academically). Let us lift this handicap, this burden, off the shoulders of the Jackrabbits yet to come. Win, lose, or draw this move to D-I is the right move for the future of South Dakota, SDSU, it's Alumni, and friends!

Go SDSU!

Comment

Working...
          X