Re: where is the money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: where is the money

bigjake, did you take math at USD? Go over your figures again, especially as they relate to the 54 extra scholarships you referred to.

No one said it would be easy to find the extra money. Sid Bostic, chair of the drive, has stated the goal of 20 million over a 5 year period. Add to that, the Athletic Department is not jumping to a full complement of scholarships from the get go. They will add scholarships to the various sports over the next several years to finally reach set levels. For instance, we go from 36 to 38 full rides in football for the 2004-2005 school year. It would be a big mistake to jump to the full levels at the outset as the money is still coming in. Will it hurt recruiting? Probably. But, the whole move to Division I is not about what happens to SDSU in 3-5 years. It's where we want to be as a university in 10-15 years.

Big Jake,
    as alum guy pointed out some of your figuring just doesn't make much sense or asyou would say "the numbers just don't add up". It sound to me, in my opinion, that you made it seem as difficult as possible and then wrote that in. It's not going to be easy, but is something new and different ever easy at the beginning. Again, its that same negative outlook that too many people in this state have that is making this move a negative thing for south dakota.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Turns out that Big Jake is none other then updm002, aka Big Fan, aka feminine_heroine.  A supposed NDSU grad, who loves UNO and UMKC, who thinks that Omaha is a BIG CITY.  Most of his/here posts are just unintelligent nonsense.  Please see some of his/her posts on Bisonville.com.  The fact that he changes his/her user name every few days calls into question his/her arguments.  My best advice to all Jackrabbit fans is to ignore this bore!

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1079045707

Go State!

Comment

When I applied to med school I had undergrad debt, credit card debt, and no job or money. They didn't say "Please provide us with $110,00 and you are in". They recognized my potential (Carr report) and I applied for loans and invested in my education.

I am not doing what I do for the money, but the initial investment has more than paid off monetarily. The students, alumni, and administration at SDSU must have the foresight to understand that the investment in the move to DI will be worth it in the end. More importantly, we need people in the state legislature and on the Board of Regents who recognize this.

You don't get anywhere (bigjake and the Argus) if you don't try to go somewhere. Sure, the risks involved in the move to DI are great, but the potential benefits are greater. This is what really matters.

The next argument will be "Why didn't we wait for a conference or have the whole NCC become DI." This is a topic that we shouldn't need to address. If we would have sat around and waited we would be having this conversation in 20 years when the NCC will include teams like Upper Iowa and Peru St. and DII will be non-scholarship. ;D No better time than the present.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          Turns out that Big Jake is none other then updm002, aka Big Fan, aka feminine_heroine.  A supposed NDSU grad, who loves UNO and UMKC, who thinks that Omaha is a BIG CITY.  Most of his/here posts are just unintelligent nonsense.  Please see some of his/her posts on Bisonville.com.  The fact that he changes his/her user name every few days calls into question his/her arguments.  My best advice to all Jackrabbit fans is to ignore this bore!

Go State!
          What a F**cking clown! Thanks for the info 89. Go away clown, there must be someone in Omaha (your pimp or parole officer) wondering where your dumbass is.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Go State!

Comment

Maybe someone should put out the "DO NOT FEED THE TROLL" sign.

Comment

Finances are always a problem in running an athletic department. They are a business center within an academic setting and their purpose is to keep connections with alums and the business community in their region. Obviously even the most small institutions have problems and have to watch what they do and how they fund their sports. I think the worst a institution can do is to continue sports in which they are no longer competitive.

As far as NDSU and SDSU go, the financial challenges are going to be there in the next five years, but that is why we both spent the monies with the Carr Consultants. This phantom UNO guy has probably never read the Carr Report. I have. It was money well spent and has a ton of recommendations for SDSU to make in a number of areas. All the recommendations have price tag, but are good ones. Its a matter of putting them all in priority order and following the plan.

If the D1AA move was not feasible, I think Carr and Assoicates would have said so. I am not worried about the future at SDSU. We will move forward.

I caught a favorite movie of mine on the Turner Classic channel last week. Its called Trouble Along the Way where John Wayne a former star athlete and sucessful coach is called upon to save St Anthonys a small Roman Catholic College. The Wayne Character breaks just about every current NCAA rule to save the college with its football program and they have crisis along the way.
                The QB he recruited had played in the CFL. Its entertaining if nothing else.

Comment

Just another dedicated SDSUFAN. Where is the money? Its coming from guys who post about the Jacks at 3:00 am. Keep it coming SDSUFAN, we love it!! We need more guys like you SDSUFAN.

Comment

I did read sections of the carr report but not all of it. I do remember them saying that sdsu should not go d1 until they found a league. Granted that turned out to not be feasible but you paid 30k for that report and they stated something so ridiculous like that. All you would have had to do was to call up those schools that went d1 in the last 5-10 years and they would know that was a bunch of bull about the possibility of finding a league before declaring d1. They would have told you it wasn't feasible to find a league prior to going d1. Either your school was without a clue in that regard or they b.s. ing the people of SD about find a league prior to going D1 to garner more support.

Comment

I think bigjake should consider a future in athletics administration.  He seems to know everything and is always right.  bigjake, refer all future posts to D1 envy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                        I think bigjake should consider a future in athletics administration.  He seems to know everything and is always right.  bigjake, refer all future posts to D1 envy.
                        Exactly, check out "DI envy" and consider what is said there before you post anything opposing the move to DI elsewhere. I think you will find that most of what you have to say fits under the "DI envy" category. If it doesn't then post it where appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                        X