Wrestling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling?

What happened to the wrestling team this year? Their dual record was...um...awful. Real young? Injuries? Whazzup?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Wrestling?

i think they were down a little bit this year and there were a couple of injuries that took out some people at the beginning of the dual season. The conference was probably just as tough as ever this year as well which didn't really help. We are pretty young too, although that has never really been an excuse before. Honestly i think wrestling will be one of the harder sports to recruit for now with the d1 switch because the goal of competing for individual championships is so much more great in wrestling, and with the waiting period that will be non existant for a while. Plus we are in the hotbed of division 1 wrestling in the country so there will be a lot of options for d1 quality wrestlers. I sincerely hope the program stays strong because it has been one of our more successful sports for many years and has a lot of respect with wrestlers and wrestling families around the region.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Jason Liles, assistant, whose name escapes me got the head coaching job at Mary College in Bismarck. From what I understand, this assistant took some of our better wrestlers with him such as Jon Madsen, who won the National Heavyweight his freshmand year. There is another kid whose name escapes, but he got into big trouble with driving and drinking, and he barely escaped the pen in Sioux Falls, and I believe he left too. The cupborad is bare in terms of Jr and Sr' and when you are forced to wrestle jrs and seniors with sophs and freshman, you get beat bad as we did this year. Liles still has my vote of confidence, he just needs to rebuild quickly.

Comment

You can follow the national tournament here

http://www.msumavericks.com/ncaa/

Comment

The two kids that left Madsen and Paszek were both quality wrestlers in the program, that hurt alot. However, i dont think they fit with the mold of student athletes at SDSU. The wrestlers are always known for being a little rowdy but these two were pretty wild. Paszek i believe ran into a parked flatbed on the streets of brookings with a friend in the passenger side and either left without reporting the accident or drove back to somewhere. Either way it was a pretty bad situation as the friend was injured pretty bad during the accident and may not have received the medical help he needed. Both pretty good guys i think just mayhave made some bad decisions. Too bad though cause both coudl have been very helpful to the program while getting their degree. Looks as if we have two wrestlers in the 5th and 6th place match at nationals. Tim Boldt was forced to default/forfeit, don't know what happened.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Thanks Jackrabbit 1979:

You hope we can turn it around next season.  Its been a tough season. I dont think there has been this many dual loses in SDSU history.  It just did not  seem like we could match up with anyone.  The guys are all one year more experienced so it can only get better.

You wonder what happen to all those recruited at the same time as Pashek and Madsen? They must have all been Engineering Physic majors and decided that they did not have time for varsity wrestling. We have no juniors or seniors.

Now lets see how bigjake responses to this comment.
            I just heard UNO won the national D2 tourney. : :-/

Comment

Correction, I checked our wrestling roster and we do have two juniors, no seniors and mostly fresh/sophs.

A very young roster. I dont recall of JUCO transfers for wrestling, but that may be an option.

I have never wrestled myself, but enjoy the sport because of set of rules in place make it a constest of quickness, smarts and physical condition.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                Boldt was forced to default/forfeit, don't know what happened.  
                He and a UNO wrestler were both forced to default because the failed the "skin check". Meaning both had some type of skin infection (often a Cold Sore or ringworm) that the Doc felt could have been spread by allowing them to wrestle. Tough break for both kids.

Comment

Originally posted by somebison.
                  "Going to war without the French is like going hunting without your accordian"
                  Rumsfeld never said that. This is a popular error. That quote is attribted to According to Jed Babbin, who was a minor figure in the George HW Bush administration. It's been spread and perverted ever since the first Gulf war, sometimes appearing as "...without your piano" or attributed to a variety of people in defense. But it was never Rumsfeld. That quote was around long before he was Defense Secretary.

Comment

better?

Comment

Working...
                    X