Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now What?

With the mens basketball and womens basketball seasons ending. and football season 159 days until kickoff. I'm kind of going through a withdrawl, quiet board the last couple of days.

Re: Now What?

I think that we need some recruiting information to get the board going. I'm getting concerned that NDSU is going to beat us in basketball next year with all of the talented freshman they have coming in, and with us only getting 1 JUCO player.

Comment

Does anybody else think that the SDSU baseball team could be marketed better to the public. The team gets no support, fans, etc. I know they have been down the past couple of years, but even in their prime 10 - 15 years ago it still seemed they never got the support they deserved. Maybe even playing a few night games later this spring would help now that we have use of the lights at Bob Sheldon. With Brookings being a huge baseball town during the summer (Cubs, Bandits, huge fourth of July tourney) it seems they would get more support than they do.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Brookings is certainly baseball town.  It's hard to believe how little support the Jacks baseball team gets.  If you compare the attendence between the Cubs and Jacks the difference is huge.  The stands are full for the Cubs (although they win a few more games).  I do think attendence has went up for the Jacks since moving over to Bob Sheldon.  It doesn't hurt that you can bring a cooler full of beer to the park also.  I attended a game this afternoon in Vermillion vs. St. Cloud and there wasn't any more than 20 people at the double header.  I don't know about other NCC schools but I would think it's hard to draw fans to any of the afternoon games (school, work, family commitments etc.)  State should consider a couple of night games in late April.  Some possibilites could be Augie 4/27, USD 4/29 and 5/1.  It would also help to improve on a 4-15 record.

Comment

I too would like to see Jacks baseball emphasized more in Brookings. College baseball is a pretty big deal and getting bigger. I was at the College World Series in Omaha last year-what an event. I'm not saying we would ever reach that pinnacle in baseball-although SW Mo. St. did last year. SDSU has a lot of room to grow in this sport both in team wins/losses but from a fan support standpoint. I too am guilty of lackluster support. I will go across the country to attend a M/W basketball game or a football game-but baseball kind of gets lost in the shuffle. Hopefully we can build a couple of winning teams and the recognizable D1 teams we will be playing should lend to better times ahead.

Comment

On the basketball recruiting front... Granted we have just the one Iowa Juco so far-but he is pretty awesome from what I can gather. I posted this a few months back on bisonville. It seems like we are getting out recruited at this point every year and then Nagy lands 3-5 great players, I dont think this year will be any diffrent. Nagy/Larsen can recruit. and when the dust settles I think we will all breath a little easier.

Comment

Having watched our basketball coaches recruit over the past many years I have come to the conclusion they know what they are doing. I'd like to have a dollar for every time someone said, "Why didn't we get him?" referring to a high school recruit. The so called world-beater will go to a school and have a mediocre college career. Then you hear, "Boy, I'm glad we didn't get him!" Recruiting is a major crap shoot.

Coaches know what they need and how many scholarship dollars they have available. The general public is never made aware of difficult nature of balancing scholarship dollars, eligibility, etc.

There is also the intangible of how a player will fit with a team or a university. We have been blessed that our coaching staff doesn't simply take a player because he or she is good. Many times our coaches pass on a player because the player would bring "baggage."

Finally, over the years our coaches have found players after a season has ended. For a variety of reasons (transfers, JUCO, etc.) good student athletes are still available.

Like I said, it is a crap shoot. For me, I like the people (coaches) who are rolling the dice.

Comment

I am in 100% agreement with Alumguy.  Seems SDSU always misses the boat in recruiting in Rapid City. I recall people second guessing Peter Martin as a QB who did go to USD as a QB and barely got to play. Also some thought we should have Steve Anderson, currently on the USD squad. Steve did have a good game against SDSU in Omaha, but before that he has been very average as inside player. I think others on the current SDSU roster have more to offer.

Each coach also developes certain types of offense and defense, so in order to get these features going, they have to find the best available.

Although I have a great deal of respect for South Dakota native Tim Miles, current NDSU coach, I think we have be grateful for the coaching staff that we have.  NDSU seems to be an up and coming program, but  that is not a reason to be worried. Our coaches are  doing their job too.

Comment

There is no question NDSU is grabbing some great basketball players from Minnesota and Wisconsin. I think we have a much better platform to recruit from at SDSU than NDSU for basketball so I trust the coaches have some bigger fish on the line that would distract them from some of the regional talent that NDSU is securing. I think we have some sound 4 year players in the program and are now looking at the Juco ranks to fill the holes!

Comment

Speculation about BB recruiting is important as it keeps our minds on the sport. I must say that based on previous performance there should be little doubt that this year will be a relative success. Transfers from other schools, whether JUCO or otherwise, will be important to filling out the roster. We need at least 2 players (1 big man and 1 guard, preferrably point) who are game tested and ready to play now. This will allow us to further develop some of the young talent and any incoming freshman that we sign. If I have faith and trust in anyone, its Coach Nagy and his staff.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                      Having watched our basketball coaches recruit over the past many years I have come to the conclusion they know what they are doing.  I'd like to have a dollar for every time someone said, "Why didn't we get him?" referring to a high school recruit.  The so called world-beater will go to a school and have a mediocre college career.  Then you hear, "Boy, I'm glad we didn't get him!"  Recruiting is a major crap shoot.  

Coaches know what they need and how many scholarship dollars they have available.  The general public is never made aware of difficult nature of balancing scholarship dollars, eligibility, etc.  

There is also the intangible of how a player will fit with a team or a university.  We have been blessed that our coaching staff doesn't simply take a player because he or she is good.  Many times our coaches pass on a player because the player would bring "baggage."

Finally, over the years our coaches have found players after a season has ended.  For a variety of reasons (transfers, JUCO, etc.) good student athletes are still available.

Like I said, it is a crap shoot.  For me, I like the people (coaches) who are rolling the dice.
                      Amen, Brother!  I agree with Alumguy 100%.  Scott and his coaches know what they are doing.!

Go State!  ;D

P.S. on the Baseball front, I used to duck out of the library early to watch some games during the mid to late '80s, if it was a nice day.  The problem is time of year and time of games.  Perhaps with the move up we can bring in folks that will excite the masses.  It would be GREAT.  Alas mother nature is our biggest problem and I don't know how to fix that.  Go luck to SDSU's "Boys of Summer" (or "Boys of the Early Spring" when it is wet and cold).  

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                        Brookings is certainly baseball town. It's hard to believe how little support the Jacks baseball team gets. If you compare the attendence between the Cubs and Jacks the difference is huge. The stands are full for the Cubs (although they win a few more games).

I've been to many cubs games. The stands are HARDLY full.

Comment

Working...
                        X