Mike wants your E-mails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike wants your E-mails

Mike Henriksen of the Craig and Mike show ended the show by saying he saw his son in a play at SDSU this weekend. The show was the Emperor's New Clothes and he equated that to our move to D-I. He said he knew that was going to make some people mad and he then asked for people to e-mail him at:

mike_henriksen@mmi.net

or

kwsn@midco.net

I say we do it. Let Mike know what you think and let him tell you in his own word what he thinks, when he replies. Again, be positive and respectful but let him know what you think.

Go State!

Re: Mike wants your E-mails

Here is a portion of what I had to say, not much but it makes some decent points (I think).

Mr. Henriksen,

I chose to attend SDSU on an SDSU foundation scholarship. The best decision I ever made. It has lead to my current path in life.

After completing my undergraduate training attended the School of Medicine at USD, largely, because my wife (fiance at the time) was teaching in Irene, SD. Nearly a big mistake. The faculty and facilities at the USDSM did little to encourage or support my enthusiasm for medicine. Fortunately, I encountered several physicians who were SDSU graduates and they encouraged me to pursue a career in academic medicine.

With SDSU's move to DI, I now have renewed faith that there are individuals in S.D. who are focusing on the future of our children. It is my hope and expectation that the leadership at other less progressive universities in the state will make the same investment. It is very unfortunate that the lawmakers and many of their constituents do not have the foresight, or are too selfish, to make the same commitment right now.

SDSU's move to DI is one of the most important factors in my decision to return to S.D. Having 2 daughters, who I hope are as well rounded as I am, I want the best educational and (if they choose) athletic opportunity available. That is a school at the DI level. Now, as I have always aspired, there will be this opportunity in S.D. Unless that fear of achievement and satisfaction with mediocrity, which I have found so prevalent in high school and medical school in S.D., continues and squashes SDSU's upward move.

Please, at least reconsider your apparent stance on the move to DI. Think about the larger picture and the opportunities that may be avaible to our young men and women. Let's not focus on eliminating programs (like USD baseball) but on making more things available (like equestrian) to the children of S.D.

Lastly, you are in a position to make a difference (whether you deserve to be or not). When you speak negatively about something progressive you hurt everyone from SD. Graduates from USD, Augie, NSU, USF, DSU, DWU, etc.. are all affected. Granted, you may be opposed to the move and are entitled to that opinion, but please put any personal agenda aside and be fair and objective. Let those who have the foresight and a better understanding of the future be heard. After all, it is this "head in the sand" attitude that has left S.D. (and its institutes of higher learning) where they are right know (cutting baseball at the "premier" institution in the state). We (SDSU) just happen to have the courage to lead those who desire into a better future. Thank you for your time.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Are you sure you want to respond to Mike? I think he's best left alone and ignored. He loves goading people and getting them to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
        Are you sure you want to respond to Mike?  I think he's best left alone and ignored.  He loves goading people and getting them to respond.
        I didn't feel compelled to respond based on what I heard from Mike. More so because 89 suggested that Mike would like to hear from some of us. I don't plan to carry on a dialogue.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
        X