A Grizz fan has registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Grizz fan has registered

I see the latest addition to out member board includes a Grizzly fan (rockymtngriz) a welcome addition if I say so myself.  Speaking from my own experience with a patient who was a huge Grizzly fan, they are an interesting bunch to say the least.

This particular gentleman (which he would not want to be called) was short of breath, coughing up blood and complaining of chest pain.  After evaluating him his doctors in Montana recommended a referral to the Mayo Clinic.  I asked him when he notice the symptoms and out came a story that I will summarize here.

He started by giving me a brief history of "legendary" Montana Grizzly football and the rivalry with Montana St.
    He reported that he was well in 2001 (I beleive The Griz won the IAA NC that year) but after a loss to Montana St. in 2002 (at which he reported yelling alot more than usual) he noted that his voice was less strong and he was short of breath.  He ignored this.  Then the 2003 season began and early in the year NDSU came to town and beat The Griz.  This nearly killed him!!!  He was yelling so much and with such intensity that he suffered a small heart attack and was hospitalized.  Of course he recovered in time to make it to the next weeks game.

The season went reasonably well, as did his health, until the Montana St. game near the end of the year.  Remember the loss in 2002 is when his symptoms first appeared.  Needless to say, Montana St. defeated the Grizz and then the Grizz lost in the first round of the playoffs sending my patient back to the hospital with shortness-of-breath, chest pain, and coughing up blood.  He eventually ended up under my care.

Long story short, I told him he either needed to avoid The Grizzly games our face the possibility of further problems and potentially death.  He thanked me and said that wasn't an option.  I told him I understood which made him smirk and nearly made his wife faint.  I guess he figured I wouldn't be able to relate, but as a true and blue SDSU fan, I did.

So, welcome Grizz fans, we sure would like to model our football program after your teams success.  Perhaps our BB team can eventually see some of the success The Grizz had in the mid to late 90's.  One question, whats the reason for the stuggles in BB the last few years?  Is it just improvement in some of the other Big Sky teams or have there been coaching and recruiting problems at Montana?  You grabbed one of our S.D. boys this year.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: A Grizz fan has registered

Slow day at the office Doc ?? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
      Slow day at the office Doc ?? ;D
      In the research lab today. It was really my first exposure to a DIAA football fan, and I was impressed. It made me more excited about the move to DIAA.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

OK Doc, I'll take the bait... There is no way that that happened.

Comment

OK Doc, I'll take the bait... There is no way that that happened.
          No bait to be taken, it did happen. The patient is a retired millwork/lumbar executive who lives in Bigfork, MT which is just north of Missoula. He showed up for the appointment with a Grizzlies sweatshirt on!!!

I won't bore you with further details regarding the case but to convince you that it did happen I can tell you more about the conversation.

He went into a long tirade about losing their head coach, Joe Glenn, and his staff to Wyoming after the 2002 season and how they have not recovered. He attends all home games and most road games. He comes to Mayo every year as part of the executive medicine program and I just happened to see him for a more acute problem. He is fine now and I suspect he will be at the games this year. I can't tell you much else without jeopardizing patient confidentiality. Quite a story, and a true one at that.

Comment

That is an incredible story, and given the details Its amazing and ironic that you were the one to get that particular case!! I'm sorry I ever doubted it. ;D

Comment

That is an incredible story, and given the details Its amazing and ironic that you were the one to get that particular case!! I'm sorry I ever doubted it. ;D
              Don't apologize, please. I wouldn't have believed it myself if it hadn't happened to me. I will be seeing him again later this year and I look forward to more info about The Grizz and DIAA football. Hopefully I'll have some SDSU success stories to tell.

Comment

I have to say that is quite a story! it makes the move to I-AA that much more exciting for some reason. I can definitely empathize with that guy. I felt shortness of breath when I learned that Joe Glenn was leaving UNC for Montana. I suspect Wyoming fans will experience the same pain soon.

Comment

Doc: Great story. I thought the misspelling of "millwork/lumbar" was cute...could have mistaken you for an orthopod (lumbar v. lumber).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                    Doc:  Great story.  I thought the misspelling of "millwork/lumbar" was cute...could have mistaken you for an orthopod (lumbar v. lumber).  
                    Nice catch.  Please, no mistaking me for an orthopod. I've worked to hard on my personality to be mistaken for any surgeon.

Comment

I feel for the Montana fans but Wyoming needs Glenn far more than the Grizzlies do. Without him, Wyoming might have to either drop football or go Division I-AA. Besides Montana will survive without him. ;D

Comment

I recently discovered this site...looks like fun. I'm a former Jackrabbit athlete and then received my JD from USD. I'm not going to be hard on USD...if things go well for SDSU and NDSU, I suspect UND will change its mind in two or three years and USD may follow if they can get their financial house in order.

Comment

Poke,
                          Would Wyoming ever discuss going 1AA? I know that youve had some attendance issues, but its mostly due to a poor team the past couple of seasons. You have a great stadium and tradition, and the Cowboys are usually good. Are there any concearns about the new D1A requirements?

Comment

Poke,
                            Would Wyoming ever discuss going 1AA? I know that youve had some attendance issues, but its mostly due to a poor team the past couple of seasons. You have a great stadium and tradition, and the Cowboys are usually good. Are there any concearns about the new D1A requirements?
                            Not that I'm aware of. A great place to find out is to check out www.gowyogo.com. It's a rivals site. It's the best place for Wyoming info. I post as OKC Poke on there as well. Just tell them OKC Poke sent ya.

As for Wyoming going IAA, one state senator from Jackson wanted it to happen but the rest of the state started screaming for his head!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                              I recently discovered this site...looks like fun.  I'm a former Jackrabbit athlete and then received my JD from USD.  I'm not going to be hard on USD...if things go well for SDSU and NDSU, I suspect UND will change its mind in two or three years and USD may follow if they can get their financial house in order.
                              I dont think so. USD has miles and miles to go and they have a foundation that no where near SDSU in fund raising nor in endowed assets.

Abbott is not what he is cracked up to be either. Dont waste your alum donations on USD. Send them to SDSU. We want to progress and not regress.

Comment

Working...
                              X