Ekeland steps down after 20 seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ekeland steps down after 20 seasons

It is a sad day for SDSU baseball. After 20 season SDSU's winningest baseball coach is hanging up the cleats. Best of luck to Coach Ekeland, glad he is staying on staff. Thanks for the memories! ;D

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3675

05/11/2004

Ekeland Steps Down As Baseball Coach

BROOKINGS, SD – The winningest baseball coach in South Dakota State University history is stepping down from his coaching duties. He will remain on the SDSU Health, Physical Education and Recreation staff in an administrative capacity.

Mark Ekeland coached the Jackrabbits for 20 seasons before missing the 2004 season while on medical leave. Ekeland guided the Jackrabbits to 561 victories, winning five North Central Conference championships and 11 NCC Southern Division titles including ten straight 1985-94. In addition to winning five NCC postseason playoff titles, SDSU finished second six times including 2002.

The Jacks qualified for the NCAA Division II playoffs six times including 1984, Ekeland’s first season as head coach when SDSU won the Central Region title and advanced to the NCAA Division II national championship tournament. SDSU won 27 games that season, the first time a Jackrabbit team had reached 20 or more wins. That started a string of 19 consecutive seasons with 20 or more wins including seven seasons of 30 or more. SDSU set a single-season record for victories in 1993, when the Jacks finished 39-15, and they matched that victory total the next season, finishing 39-10-1.

Ekeland was named NCC coach of the year five times (1984-92-93-94-95). . . .

Go State!

Re: Ekeland steps down after 20 seasons

Nice interview with Coach Ekeland on the KWSN Sports Talk today. Craig and Mike were very respectful and complimentary to Mark and SDSU baseball players from the past and the present. There is hope for them yet!

Go Jacks!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...article2.shtml

Health concerns force coach's resignation
      Chris Solari
      csolari@argusleader.com

published: 5/12/2004

SDSU's Ekeland awaiting liver transplant, led baseball program since 1984

South Dakota State baseball coach Mark Ekeland, who sat out this season while awaiting a liver transplant, resigned his post as coach of the Jackrabbits on Tuesday.

The 1973 Augustana alum will pass the torch of the program he has headed since 1984 to a new coach as the team moves to Division I next season.

"I wish I was hanging onto my torch, but I think it's the right thing to do at this time," Ekeland said. "Our players deserve a head coach, and they haven't had that for this past year and a good part of the summer." . . .

The 52-year-old Ekeland remains on medical leave, and he has heard from plenty of colleagues and former players, as well as those within the baseball community around the state.

"When the players heard I was seriously ill and it looked like I may be due for a transplant at any time, I got lots of phone calls, lots of cards and lots of prayers," he said. "That's real heart-warming to know people still care about you. Maybe you made a difference with what you said at some point."

Ekeland will remain with the athletic department in a yet-to-be-determined administrative role, Athletic Director Fred Oien said.

"There's a lot going on with the Division I move," Oien said. "There are some real assets Mark can bring to the process."

Ekeland arrived in Brookings in 1984 and led the Jacks to the NCAA Division II Championships in California that season. The Rapid City native went 561-345-2 with the Jacks, 198-97-1 in the North Central Conference and earned five NCC Coach of the Year awards. SDSU won five NCC titles in his time and 11 conference Southern Division championships. . . .

SDSU finished 12-36 in a season of distractions, which ranged from on-field injuries to a fire at the home of a few players.

But the most pressing matter remained Ekeland's health. He managed to meet with the team once during the middle of the season, bringing his even-keeled sense of humor and deep outlook on life. He also attended most of the Jackrabbits' home games, saying it was difficult to watch from the stands.

"He really felt like he was part of the team. And we all felt he should have been part of it, even if he didn't have the title of coach," said Brandon native Brett Fischer, who was a redshirt freshman infielder on the SDSU team this year.

"He's always going to be our coach, no matter where he is." . . .

Comment

All I can say is that Ekeland is about as classy a dude as you're going to meet in dealing with college coaches. My prayers are with him.

Comment

Working...
        X