Scholarships as we move to D-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarships as we move to D-I

Her is a break down of were we will be on Scholarships as we move forward in D-I.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3620

The scholarship changes . . . The plan calls for SDSU to reach 90 scholarships for both men and women by FY 2010.

For next year, the increases for women by sport will go like this:
    • basketball 10 to 12 +2
    • XC/track and field 8 to 10 +2
    • golf 0.5 to 1.0 +0.5
    • soccer 10.0 to 10.0 no change
    • softball 3.5 to 5.5 +2
    • swimming 1.5 to 2.0 +0.5
    • tennis 0 to 0.5 +0.5
    • volleyball 8 to 10 +2

For men’s sports, the increases will be:
    • baseball 3.5 to 4.0 +0.5
    • basketball 10 to 11 +1.0
    • xc/track and field 5.0 to 5.5 +0.5
    • football 36.0 to 38.0 +2.0
    • golf 0.25 to 0.25 no change
    • swimming 1.25 to 1.25 no change
    • tennis 0.0 to 0.0 no change
    • wrestling 5.0 to 5.5 +0.5

Equestrian will start with five scholarships in FY 2006 and reach 15 by FY 2010.

Go State!

Re: Scholarships as we move to D-I

Here is what we are allowed to fund:

http://www.campuschamps.com/scholarships.shtml

Division I

Men

Baseball

Basketball

Cross Country/Track and Field

Football (I-AA)

Golf

Gymnastics

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Soccer

Swimming/Diving

Tennis

Volleyball

Water Polo

Wrestling

Women

Gymnastics

Tennis

Volleyball

Basketball

Cross Country/Track and Field

Field Hockey

Golf

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Rowing

Soccer

Softball

Swimming/Diving

Volleyball

Water Polo

Comment

I'm very concerned that we are adding just two scholarships for football. If we don't make a quicker jump we will be unable to compete against those schools playing with the full allotment of 63.

Comment

The first goal is to reach scholarship parity for men and women and stay in the good graces of Title IX.  Hard to do if you come out of the gate doubling the men's football scholarships.

If you haven't, go read the announcement on the SDSU web site.  There's a plan being implemented here.

I'd love to see us get to 63 football scholarships ASAP as well, but there's budget and Title IX issues as well as competition issues.

Or, in the famous words of "Kung Fu": "Patience, Grasshopper."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm not advocating going to 63 in one year or ignoring Title IX. I do want us to focus more on football than ever before as it has the potential to produce enough revenue to contribute dollars towards non-revenue sports and help make the neccesary improvements at Coughlin.

Comment

Agree we need to build the football revenue, but we also need to make sure that basketball (the current cash cow) stays healthy. I'd rather see 15 men's basketball scholarships first.

But then, I'm mainly a basketball fan which might have something to do with it.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm mainly a basketball fan as well. However, I feel SDSU has not even tapped its potential on the gridiron as it relates to marketing and developing a winning football program. Our goal should be to put 15,000 fans in the stands every Saturday. NDSU seems to be ramping it's football program up to DIAA calibre much quicker than us. I know it's not only title IX but also dollars and cents that is preventing us from keeping pace with NDSU in the transition. I know that patience is in order but it's not easy as I eye what's happening to the north. No reason we can't be dominant in both of the money sports. You have to spend money on the product (facilites,coaches,scholarships) to create a winner in football.

Comment

Reality Check:

Average attendance of 15,000 a game would put us 11th in I-AA (2002 figures).

(It would also get all of us Rabbit Nation rabid ranters thinking about the jump to I-A...wouldn't that frost the FES folks not to mention the Grain Bin people!)

I'm not saying that it is not a worthy goal (in fact, let's go for it!)

If I win the Powerball you can be assured that the Jackrabbit Club will be getting a seven-figure donation. But absent that (or J. Lohr or some other wealthy alum or friend coughing up major scratch), the incremental approach is what we'll have to live with.

I'd like to see more FB scholarships, more FB coaches, a new locker room, new east stands, renovated west stands, and a video scoreboard in Coughlin, too.

Hopefully the SDSU admin can pull one or two of those rabbits (pun intended!) out of their hats in the next year or two. But you gotta work with what you got, and they've got 20 other hungry programs to feed.

For the moment, I'm happy with what's going on (with the caveat that I wish they could do more, faster).
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  Agree we need to build the football revenue, but we also need to make sure that basketball (the current cash cow) stays healthy.  I'd rather see 15 men's basketball scholarships first.  

But then, I'm mainly a basketball fan which might have something to do with it.
                  Slight correction Men's basketball limit is 13, Women's is 15. Anyone heard how Sid is doing with the fund raising? I too would like to see us ramp up a little faster.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Slight correction Men's basketball limit is 13, Women's is 15.  Anyone heard how Sid is doing with the fund raising?  I too would like to see us ramp up a little faster.

Go State!
                    Oops...OK, getting a bit too excited...
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I know we are shooting for 90 scholarships by 2010. For fun I thought I would do a little quick counting to see what would be the maximum amount of scholarships we could give out with our current sports offering. By my count we could give out 106 in both men's and women's sports. This would fully fund all of our women's sports and most of our men's. I am talking about awarding scholarships for sport that we haven't ever given scholarships in. We of course won't do that but it was fun to play with.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                        Also,  your scholarship numbers illustrate exactly what we have been saying - you don't have the money to be successful in the move.

ATTENTION  SD TAYPAYERS - HANG ON TO YOUR WALLETS.  SDSU WILL BE COMING AFTER THEM IN A FEW YEARS WHEN THEY DECIDE TO RAMP UP TO 63 FB SCHOLARSHIPS AND FIX THAT SINKHOLE OF A STADIUM
                        I guess they don't teach reading at UNO. :

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1082798698

Alumguy wrote:

Sid Bostic gave an update on his fundraising efforts at the SDSU Donor Appreciation Banquet. The event was held, appropriately, in The Barn.

Anyway, Sid said there are now committments for $6.2 million dollars. He believes by the end of the year between $9-$10 will be pledged for the move to DI. . . .

In addition, Sid said there are approximately 20 "asks" on the table for gifts ranging from $500,000 to $2 million dollars.

It's important to share this information so that people know Sid and the athletic department folks are fulfilling their promise.

Big Jake, we set up a special section for you but you don't seem to like to go there much.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

Comment

I have a question about your total scholarships. I added the numbers and they don't add up. If you take the numbers for mens sports for next year;

baseball 4.0
                          Track 5.5
                          golf .25
                          Swimming 1.25
                          Wrestling 5.5

total= 16.5

and then add the total numbers for the revenue sports

Football 63
                          Basketball 13

Total 76

Grand Total=92.5

This Grand total isn't even including the additional, if there are any, scholarships in other sports. If there are only going to 90 scholarships in mens sports by 2010 are you not planning on fully funding football? or does your scholarship plan go past 2010 to finish filling all of the sports. I guess another possibilty would be USD style cuts in non-revenue sports.

Comment

Originally posted by nccfaanatic
                            I have a question about your total scholarships.  I added the numbers and they don't add up.  If you take the numbers for mens sports for next year;

baseball 4.0
                            Track  5.5
                            golf .25
                            Swimming 1.25
                            Wrestling 5.5

total= 16.5

and then add the total numbers for the revenue sports

Football 63
                            Basketball 13

Total 76

Grand Total=92.5

This Grand total isn't even including the additional, if there are any, scholarships in other sports.  If there are only going to 90 scholarships in mens sports by 2010 are you not planning on fully funding football? or does your scholarship plan go past 2010 to finish filling all of the sports.  I guess another possibilty would be USD style cuts in non-revenue sports.
                            Gocoyotes or Coyote fan:
                            Dont try to fool us with your guest NCC fananctic handle.
                            We have no intentions of following USD cut styles, we are not that cash poor.  So why would we even consider following inferior procedures that USD is forced to follow.

As far as money being there it will happen. If you read the excerpts from Sid Bostic's report, SDSU should have reached the mid point of the 20 million dollar endowment drive by the end of this year.  The money Sid is raising will be invested or endowed and the earnings will provide the scholarship funding.

If endowments of 20 million earn 5 per cent that will provide indefinitely 1 million dollars for scholars per year.

At current costs of $8000  for one full ride, the 1 million dollars in annual endowement income will fund 125 scholarships.   This is more than what your little peanut shell brain could compute.  So dont worry about SDSU, why not instead worry about USD and their problems. Fess up you are a USD loyalist, so put your money where your mouth is.

The announced scholarship increases are based on what can be funded from endowments and student fees for year 2004. Once the endowments are in place, we will be able to use ticket revenue to improve Coughlin Alumni.

Comment

I follow basketball more than football but still am a big Jack football fan. That having been said, if you look at most D-1 and D-1AA schools, the football programs are not money makers. In most cases it seems the hope is to try to break even. The big revenue generator is men's basketball in most schools.

Now, that having been said, there is also evidence that a successful football program (in terms of wins and losses), causes all fund-raising efforts at a university to improve. Just getting the name out there reminds people of where they went to school and money comes in...including money for academic scholarships. (I like to point out that athletic scholarships are academic too: they assist young people in getting an education.)

Everybody send in a check!

Comment

Working...
                              X