The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future

I was thinking the other day, and I was trying to figure out why it was that the two SU's are going to D-I, and why the two U's are staying D-2 (for the time being), and it finally occured to me.

I think that all of the presidents of schools in the Dakotas all know that in the next 20-30 years there is going to be a decrease in the number of available students, and with that, financial disaster for some of the area schools, and for others, just moving them down to NSIC type schools. Its my idea that the two U's are comfortable with this, because they know that they have superior academics, and have the ability to raise the academic standards of their respective schools, which will allow them to raise their national profile, and stay the flagship universities of their respective states. The SU's on the other hand, can't raise the academic standards because its their job to educate the Ag Kids, and everyone knows that you can't do that if you raise you min. ACT score to 21 to get into the college (Like UND, and soon USD have or will do). So, to allow themselves to compete with the higher academic profiles of the U's the SU's are making a desperate gamble with D-I athletics to try and get the attention of more students. I'm not sure if this is going to work, but I would probably think not, considering the status of other D-I transitional schools.

The point of this is that I think your D-I move is a last desperation move to try and get to the flagship school of the state, and not an act of a growing university, but of a failing one. What do you guys think? :

Re: The Future

Oh you are absolutely right on all points, why argue ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Great!!! I'm glad one of you finally saw that SDSU's D-I move is a desperation move to keep up with USD!

Comment

red and white ... I hesitated for a moment before replying as I don't know if you want to entertain facts which might obfuscate your desired conclusions.

But, let's try this. 1,000 freshmen enrolled at USD for the 2003-2004 school year. 40% of those individuals had an ACT score of 24 or higher. That's good. 2,100 freshmen enrolled at SDSU for the 2003-2004 school year. 42% of those individuals had an ACT score of 24 or higher.

The only conclusion I can draw is that SDSU draws twice as many students as USD and we have more than twice as many bright kids walking around our university.

Don't you people ever tire of trying to make fun of students who come from agriculture backgrounds? These young people are good solid citizens, have worked hard all of their lives, and are obviously very intelligent human beings. Why would anyone of reasonable intellect want to make fun of that?

Comment

I've said it before and I will say it again.  I spent 4 years at each institution.  I was surrounded by more intelligent students, faculty, and alumni at SDSU and its not even close.

There will always be a University of South Dakota but it will never equal the institution that is SDSU.  You will not appreciate this, redandwhite, until its too late.  Like most other USD students, alumni, and faculty I really do feel sorry for you.  Check out the DI envy post, I think it will summarize your situation quite nicely:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

So, please stick around and keep acting like a conceited dolt.  We've come to expect that (and less) from the average USD student/alumnus.  It doesn't annoy us, in fact, it keeps us entertained!  I look forward to some more mind-numbing jibberish from you and your coyote friends.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The only thing I can say about the future of sdsu athletics is - some dark days are ahead.

Comment

If you want to argue about facts, in 2003, USD had almost twice the number of master's and advanced degree students that SDSU had. You guys remember advanced degrees right, those are what true D-I universities give out. We also absolutely killed you in research funds, I mean, the difference between the schools was embarrasing. At least NDSU is trying to up their research. As for the ACT numbers, if USD was to raise the minimum ACT score for entrance, who do you think would get a greater Average ACT score (As the Pres. has stated he wishes to do) USD or SDSU? I think that this would cause more of the students that are choosing SDSU with 24 or higher ACT's to move to the U. If we could get an Engineering or Pharmacy dept started, maybe as an outreach program in Sioux Falls, that would absolutely kill any image of academic quality at SDSU as we took away some of the top students from your school.

Source:

http://www.sdbor.edu/publications/Factbook04.pdf

Comment

I've said it before and I will say it again. I spent 4 years at each institution. I was surrounded by more intelligent students, faculty, and alumni at SDSU and its not even close.

There will always be a University of South Dakota but it will never equal the institution that is SDSU. You will not appreciate this, redandwhite, until its too late. Like most other USD students, alumni, and faculty I really do feel sorry for you. Check out the DI envy post, I think it will summarize your situation quite nicely:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...;action=displa y;num=1078424916

So, please stick around and keep acting like a conceited dolt. We've come to expect that (and less) from the average USD student/alumnus. It doesn't annoy us, in fact, it keeps us entertained! I look forward to some more mind-numbing jibberish from you and your coyote friends.
                JackMD-

It's a shame that an outstanding Alum like yourself doesn't support the best University in the state (USD). I can't imagine what turned you, maybe a bad teacher? It could be that you went to SDSU for your undergrad, and then had a lot of fun, but when you went to USD you couldn't have as much fun because of the long hours involved with being a Med student, and those thoughts have stayed in your mind ever since. I don't know, but in 5 years when the D-I plan goes to hell and SDSU is screwed and begging you for money remember that your support is always welcome in Vermillion.

Comment

red and white ... this will be my last post to you as you obviously have no clue about doctorate degrees, master degrees, research funds, etc. You make up stuff as you go along.

You are a liar. And, you are a twit. So, according to my calculations you are a lying twit. Get a life.

Comment

Red & White,
                    Again you cease to amaze us.  You ramble on about two or three facts that really mean nothing.  Of course you have more advanced and doctorate degrees than we do USD has a medical school and a law school.  If you didn't have more advanced degrees somebody would sure as hell want to take notice.  The funny thing is that some of those students that are pursuing those degrees got their start other places than USD, do you not realize that.  In fact, last i heard SDSU has a better success rate than USD in getting their undergrad students accepted into USD's medical school.  That really stinks doesn't it.  Ask any med student, pt student, etc who does better in anatomy classes when they are all in med school, then come back and let us know...i bet you won't be happy with the answers you receive.  

Do you want to talk about enrollment numbers.  We have close to 2/5 of all the undergrad degree students in the state at SDSU, and more than one third of the total students.  Which university carries the state system, which is the flagship.  

As Alumguy said above we have about the same percentage of students with 24 or higher ACT's, we just have double the amount you do.  That sure is alot of really stupid farm kids running around campus  Put it this way, take away the college of Agriculture at SDSU and we still have more students in the rest of the programs than you do in Vermillion.  

How about retention rates, not even close there either, almost ten percent better at SDSU.  How about the professors, 73% of ours have doctoral degrees to only 68 % of yours.  

As far as funding, again you have more advanced degree students so its a drawn conclusion that you would have more grants and research funding. However, look at you little report again and take away the Medical school and look at undergrad degrees, it looks as if SDSU has more research money coming in. Why wouldn't an undergrad student want to come to SDSU with more undergrad research available, better acceptance rates to med school, better retention rates, and the chance to not live in Vermillion.

I know these are just little facts and actually taken right off the same info you posted.  Next time just read the whole report before you spout off your mouth. But i forgot you are the Harvard of the Plains
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by redandwhite
                      , those are what true D-I universities give out.  We also absolutely killed you in research funds, I mean, the difference between the schools was embarrasing.  At least NDSU is trying to up their research.  
                      Read and Weap Red and Wipe

-those are rankings based on research dollars

NDSU is trying to up our Research we are 128
                      SDSU is 199
                      Upstate Normal School in Grand Forks is 200
                      USD is 291

with all of those students seeking advanced degrees you would think you would have a few more dollars for them. I would insert an anti-USD jab- but it would be like making fun of a retarded kid- it is just not nice. I mean at least UND has hockey (i can't believe I said that), USD has a crappy football team, cut their baseball team, and is located in Vermillion. Whoever the genius was who decided to put the Med School in Vermillion should be shot.

Comment

Hey, Red and Wipe:

Here is a testimonial from some of your own fans last fall when SDSU kicked your coyote butts in the DOME on TV!

http://www.funnyjunk.com/p/wesuck-jpg.html

Kind of sums up your whole University, doesn't it? At least some of your people know the truth!

Go Jacks!

Comment

Red and White: When I finished at State and went to the U, the grade point went up at both places.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                            Red and White:    When I finished at State and went to the U, the grade point went up at both places.
                            Exactly the same thing happened when I left SDSU and enrolled at USD!!
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Red and White is still trying to understand the last two comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X