USD CLAIMS "SOUTH DAKOTA'S TEAM" DESIGNATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD CLAIMS "SOUTH DAKOTA'S TEAM" DESIGNATION

Craig and Mike interviewed the USD Athletic Director today about the recently announced changes in their Marketing Plan.

They are now calling themselves "South Dakota's Team."
    The AD said they expect to be able to defend the claim because 10 of the 12 women's basketball players are from South Dakota as well as 3 of South Dakota's Mr. Basketball winners.

They will be adding a $2 million dollar upgrade to their scoreboard as well as adding a message line which will run the west side of the dome.  An outside reader board was also included in the purchase.

They have changed their coyote mascot to look a little meaner.

All this is obviously directed to increase:

1. Alum giving
    2. Fan attendance at games
    3. Recruiting success
    4. SDSU irritation

Which is it USD?   "Harvard on the Prairie" or "South Dakota's Team."

JBNJBQ

Re: USD CLAIMS "SOUTH DAKOTA'S TEAM" DES

Let me get this straight, a school needs to proclaim itself as South Dakota's team? I think people decide that with their wallets and their feet. So, let's see, USD's donations don't come close to SDSUs. Plus, their attendance at events is half of SDSUs. USD, as usual, talks a big game (the law school is there, you know) but the real evidence is the support of the people. Get a life USD ... and a new advertising slogan. Us stupid ag people can figure this sh## out in a hurry.

Comment

USD never heard of them. Are they some kind of NAIA or D-II team?

Go State! ;D

Comment

Well, I've always thought that "THE South Dakota State University" or "South Dakota's STATE University" both roll nicely off the tongue (or the keyboard) . . .

Either one should well and truly annoy the Verminites.

Of course, nothing says it better than simply

STATE.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This honestly made me laugh when I read it... its kind of pathetic in a way (from someone that used to go to school there, not anymore though). If you guys want a good laugh look at the closeups of the score board renderings on USD's site and see who the opponets are and what the scores are. : Not too many football games like that lately for South Dakota's team. I have to admit though that I am looking foward to watching "South Dakotas team" play "Peru State's team" lol. I just saw that schedule today and its a joke. If I was you guys I wouldn't worry too much about this crap. Its just an attention grab for the state to try and keep them in the minds of people before they are overshadowed, probably quickly by a D-I schedule from SDSU. This kind of constant attention grabbing by the administration is why I left the school. I hate it. Lets look at whats happened. 1. Usd got new scoreboards. Thats pretty much it. Wow. Thats amazing.

Also, with Daktronics, I think that if they aren't going to give SDSU a decent deal on some boards, that maybe SDSU should look else where for there boards, like a rival company and have them put up on all of their facilities, in Daktronics backyard. That would probably piss them off pretty good, and maybe help with discounts in the future.

Just so you guys know, I'm in a good mood tonight, I'll probably be back bashing you on the smack board in a couple of days .

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            USD never heard of them.  Are they some kind of NAIA or D-II team?  

Go State!  ;D

JBB is that you :

Comment

JACK WROTE: ...USD, as usual, talks a big game (the law school is there, you know) ....

Whoa, Jack! You and I are both Jack fans but be carefule about taking shots at the law school...some of its grads are SDSU alumns and bigtime fans. ;D

I like saying THE South Dakota STATE University.

Comment

My typing skills went down while at USD!

Comment

Here again if we can endow the 20 million for Athletic scholarships, this team stuff will quickly fade in a recruiting match with SDSU. Any parent that has gifted athletes are looking for as much financial aid as they can possibly get free. When SDSU offers 2000 a year and USD can only come up with 1000 to 1500, those parents without connections to either SDSU or USD are not going to take long to make a decision. They may not know much about Rabbits or Coyotes, but they will know where their pocketbooks and instructing their sons and daughters on making a college decision is no different than buy a new appliance. Where can you get for the best price?

Comment

I think you will see that shortly we will not be compeating with USD for recruits. Unless it is a kid that we have asked to walk on and USD is offering $$$. USD will get some of those kids but some will rather walk on at SDSU.

SDSU, South Dakota's ONLY D-I school! 8)

Comment

JackJD, I never intended to offend you. I'm sorry. I guess I never think of an SDSU undergraduate going to USD as ending up going to the Dark Side. Once a Jack, always a Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by footballllllfan
                        Also, with Daktronics, I think that if they aren't going to give SDSU a decent deal on some boards, that maybe SDSU should look else where for there boards, like a rival company and have them put up on all of their facilities, in Daktronics backyard.  That would probably piss them off pretty good, and maybe help with discounts in the future.
                        The reason Daktronics is sucessful and getting a great deal of business with the size of the sales force they have is that there are only about two competitors doing the same thing.

I can't recall where this statement was made, but if you read their literature on the business websites, I believe the Q-10 statement says this to be the case. So SDSU is kind of stuck with Dakt and I sure there is going to be something worked out in the near future.

I think a big key for SDSU is sucess in every sport during the transition period. This will quiet the critrics of the D1 move. What will help SDSU as a whole with be the Sun Grant research money and the start of the research park that is to be east of Frost. Once these things start moving SDSU and Brooking will see some growth. I believe there is to be 140 million in addition to our research total. The research is for alternative energy sources, and nothing could be more timely. Gas was 191.9 in Volga ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
                          Craig and Mike interviewed the USD Athletic Director today about the recently announced changes in their Marketing Plan.

They are now calling themselves "South Dakota's Team."
                          The AD said they expect to be able to defend the claim because 10 of the 12 women's basketball players are from South Dakota as well as 3 of South Dakota's Mr. Basketball winners.

They will be adding a $2 million dollar upgrade to their scoreboard as well as adding a message line which will run the west side of the dome.  An outside reader board was also included in the purchase.

They have changed their coyote mascot to look a little meaner.

All this is obviously directed to increase:

1. Alum giving
                          2. Fan attendance at games
                          3. Recruiting success
                          4. SDSU irritation

Which is it USD?   "Harvard on the Prairie" or "South Dakota's Team."

JBNJBQ

Northern said the same thing several years ago. The second USD has the chance to get the best players at the DII level they will sell out any S.D. recruit who they don't think is as good. Dave Boots is not going to change his recruiting to satisfy some petty attempt by the new A.D. to cleanup the tarnished image at USD.

I wonder how many S.D. kids will be playing baseball for "South Dakota's team" next year?? What a bunch of JACKASSES running the show down there. Instead of addressing title IX issues, funding, and facility upgrades (other than the scoreboards which I am sure Dak will make a fair deal of money on) they choose the semantic route and try to play on the insecurities and further the inferiority complex already present in S.D.

What they really meant to say was "If you don't think your good enough to play at the DI level and you want a chance to compete at a mediocre DII school USD is the place for you." Just don't plan on playing baseball and if your a female don't expect a fair shake. Oh yeah, if you are a female and want to play basketball you have to put up with our creepy coach. No thanks.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                          X