USD and Daktronics Partnership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD and Daktronics Partnership

Huge announcement and press conference to announce USD partnership with Daktonics and other corporate partners to add 2 million in enhancements to the Dakota Dome. The story is on the USD athletic website. Well Al Kurtenbach what are you going to do for SDSU?

Re: USD and Daktronics Partnership

I think the "enhancements" will be mainly the scoreboard. If it's like most of their deals, Daktronics takes all the corporate dollars and you get the scoreboard.

Comment

Good for USD! They get a 2 million dollar scoreboard and no fans to appreciate it. Jackguy referred to usds website. I looked at it and those spinmasters at Vermillion are now calling usd 'South Dakota's Team.' Yup, keep thinking small coyotes, that's why you are falling and the Jackrabbits are on their way up.

Like they used to say on the '60s television show, "The Guns of Will Sonnet," .... no brag, just fact.

Comment

I hope the people running Daktronics do not read this message board. They are actually pretty good to SDSU. They have a business to run, too. It won't be good for SDSU grads employed there to have the company do poorly financially.

I hear there are ongoing talks with Dakotronics...in due time, SDSU will have its owns announcements. In the meantime,...donate money to a scoreboard fund.

Go Jacks.

Comment

The Argus article today says that Dakotonics participated in the corporate sponsorship of the new enhencements.  With out being a fly on the wall in the corporate sales office or board room at Daktronics, its difficult to know what exactly the role of Daktronics was as a sponsor in this big affair.  I hope we got some posters on this board who are working at Daktronics or have inside information on what is going on here.

Getting a Brookings firm to help USD is excellant proproganda to use around the state of South Dakota and if the new AD has a brain, he is going to exploit this fact to its fullest.

Mr. Morgan and Kurtenbach are both avid Jack fans and there has to be a payback for Daktronics some where here. What we dont know is what Daktronics will do for SDSU.  Also Mr. Kurtenbach has been involved in so many things at SDSU, that its hard to believe that he would  be selling SDSU down the river by helping USD.

Comment

Good for Daktronics!

1. Keep that Vermillion money flowing into Brookings!

2. Keep those SDSU students and alums employed.

We need to remember that Daktronics is a World-Wide Company, not just a Brookings or South Dakota company. It would not look good to have one of their competators placing a board in their own home state.

They are running a business, and running it very well.

What they choose to do for SDSU has nothing to do with this deal. Each deal is negotiated on it's own merrits.

My question is:

Will the board be big enough to list all of their baseball players with their numbers and positions at the same time?

JBNJBQ

Comment

I could care less if any executives from Daktronics are reading this forum. I understand they are a business and need to be responsible to their stockholders. On the other hand why has USD got a deal done and we continue to possess 3rd rate scoreboards at our two main sporting venues. Daktronics has benefited greatly from cheap SDSU labor and a deal needs to get done. As SDSU gains more media exposure including possibly a game of the week on TV between SDSU and NDSU the scoreboards I would think be a source of embarrassment for Daktronics. They have been a good partner of SDSU but a deal needs to get done. I'm happy for USD as the dome needs all the enhancements it can get. So does SDSU. I can't understand all the people makeing apologies for Daktronics!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                I could care less if any executives from Daktronics are reading this forum. I understand they are a business and need to be responsible to their stockholders. On the other hand why has USD got a deal done and we continue to possess 3rd rate scoreboards at our two main sporting venues. Daktronics has benefited greatly from cheap SDSU labor and a deal needs to get done. As SDSU gains more media exposure including possibly a  game of the week on TV between SDSU and NDSU the scoreboards I would think be a source of embarrassment for Daktronics. They have been a good partner of SDSU but a deal needs to get done. I'm happy for USD as the dome needs all the enhancements it can get. So does SDSU. I can't understand all the people makeing apologies for Daktronics!
                Mr. JACKGUY:

You have a lot of passion my friend! I won't fault you for that. You are right on the money 99.9% of the time!  This time though you are wrong.  Here are the reasons why.

1. USD got a deal "done" because they were willing make it a win/win situation for both parties involved.

2. We possess a third rate scoreboard system because we obviously expect Daktronics to donate a state of the art system rather than buy one from them.

3. Daktronics gives both students and Alum's opportunities to work.  They pay them a wage that is competitive to the market.  No one is forced to work there.  Most students I talk too are thrilled to have a job with flexible schedules that allow for their classes.  The experience they gain is often a springboard to an even better job after graduation.

4. I would venture to say that if you added up all the donations made to SDSU from the company, it's owners and employees it would be very substantial.

5. If we seem to be making apologies to Daktronics here it is because a lot of us believe you should not spit in the face of the person you are expecting help from.  

Respectfully

JBNJBQ

Comment

So in essence what your saying Daktronics bears no responsibility for SDSU not having state of art scoreboards and students/workers should just be happy to have a job because their is little else available in Brookings.

Comment

So in essence what your saying Daktronics bears no responsibility for SDSU not having state of art scoreboards and students/workers should just be happy to have a job because their is little else available in Brookings.    
                    1. They are no more responsible for making sure that SDSU has a state of the art scoreboard than McDonalds is responsible for making sure all SDSU games serve Big Macs. Both businesses sell a product. Both businesses would love to have their product at SDSU. Neither is obligated to donate their product. Both would be willing to make a deal that is beneficial to both entities.

2. There were over 10,000 students enrolled last year. I would guess that not all of them found employment in their field of study. Those that did indeed should feel very fortunate.

In "essence" what I am, trying to say is "I hope you or people that feel like you are not in charge of trying to do the deal with Daktronics or we will be using a chalkboard to keep track of the stats when the current system finally breaks down.

Respectfully

JBNJBQ

Comment

Alumguy has it right, at least how I read the article. The only "sponsorships" will be the advertising sold on the sponsor panels near the scoreboards, and video boards. If they announce that the Dakota Dome was changing it's name to the Daktronics Dome, I'd be a little pissed if I was a Jacks fan.

A little bit of fluff and spin in the article, just like most press releases. The 17 foot by 29 foot video board is actually 17 by 21 if you look at the picture, there's a 4 foot wide ad panel on each side. :-/ For the sake of comparison, the Fabulous Fargodome has four 17 by 23 video boards and two scoreboards that are each larger than the single one they are getting. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

JBNBQ- Let me guess your an employee of Daktronics or hope to be an employee of Daktronics.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
                          Alumguy has it right, at least how I read the article. The only "sponsorships" will be the advertising sold on the sponsor panels near the scoreboards, and video boards. If they announce that the Dakota Dome was changing it's name to the Daktronics Dome, I'd be a little pissed if I was a Jacks fan.

A little bit of fluff and spin in the article, just like most press releases. The 17 foot by 29 foot video board is actually 17 by 21 if you look at the picture, there's a 4 foot wide ad panel on each side.  :-/ For the sake of comparison, the Fabulous Fargodome has four 17 by 23 video boards and two scoreboards that are each larger than the single one they are getting.  ;D ;D ;D
                          I am on the road and in Brookings. I spoke with an individual whose spouse has been a long time employee at Daktronics.  What Bisonguy said is absolutely correct.  The sponsors mentioned in the press release and Argus article are buying advertising.  The revenue from advertising is in turn used to pay the note off. How the financing is arranged was not disclosed It could be done in a number of ways.  

So its a USD SPIN CITY STORY AND NOTHING ELSE in this announcement. I do give Nielsen an "E' for effort in trying to play the role of awaking Lazurus(USD Boosters and Alumni).

Comment

JBNBQ- Let me guess your an employee of Daktronics or hope to be an employee of Daktronics.
                            He must be an employee. My brother is a current employee at Daktronics where he earns nothing more than an adequate wage. I spent 4 years there as did my other brother who is currently an attorney in Des Moines. Dak paid as little as possible knowing that the workforce was plentiful, supply and demand. Scheduling was flexible and fellow employees were friendly so I can't really complain. Decent college job but nothing more.

It would be noble of Daktronics to provide SDSU with the best product they can offer. In turn, Dak would earn respect and admiration from SDSU alumni, students and fans. As an SDSU alum and former Dak employee I support the current stance by SDSU. Wait for the greedy boys at Daktronics to soften a bit. How much more do they need to pad their bottom line before they can get behind SDSU and the move to DI? Maybe it has to do with their current support of DII athletics and the NCC. I can't help but thinking a shift towards DI athletics, the Great West conference, and SDSU will be benefical to the future of Daktronics. Maybe I am flat out wrong, if so, let me know.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Neither, just a soft hearted fair minded champion for the down trodden! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X