Goodbye NCC and DII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye NCC and DII

I see the Jacks and NDSU were finally taken off the NCC website. The Intro page looks a little light! As of July 1, we will officially be a provisional member of DI!

Re: Goodbye NCC and DII

I thought SDSU and NDSU were members of the NCC until June 30. I guess it's a parting gift.

Comment

One nice thing that the NCC did do and that was give Steve Emming the broadcasting award for year 2004.

I think Steve is better broadcaster than the late Norm Hilson. Dont get me wrong, Norm was a great announcer for WNAX and SDSU. For some Norweigian boy from Hopple, North Dakota, Norm became a broadcast legend for SDSU events and was very loyal to the Jacks teams. You would never know he was from North Dakota unless his son Chris who had afternoon show on WNAX would bring it up when Dad came on to do the hourly sports spots. I do miss Norm though, a great guy. Those who dont remember, Norm died of heart attack a few years back.

The big difference between Norm and Steve is that Norm was very gregarious and would talked and visit with all the player parents and fans of SDSU off the air and in publice. Steve is just the opposite, very quite in public. He may say hello when you see him in Perkins restaurant in Brookings, as that is where he spent some time on Saturday during the Fri-Sat home stand, but I guess Steve saves his voice for the air waves and that is okay with me. I am very happy that he received this award, its deserved.

One thing about Steve, he has observed the NCC rule about not taking shots at bad officiating. He has been very clever, in that he does it with a groan and no words and says that the officals saw it from a different angle.

Comment

This reward was long overdue for Steve! I'm amazed how good he is with the solo basketball broadcasts. In football I hope they can give him a sidekick who knows something about football. I look forward to listening to Steve describe the action in some of those far away places the Jacks will be traveling too.

Comment

I've been a Steve Emming fan for a long time, he is one of the most professional announcers at any level of sports. I met him for the first time at the Stan Marshall a couple weeks ago. He is a class act all the way. The award was well deserved.

Comment

I like Emming too.

I also enjoyed listening to the WNAX "Football Saturday Morning."

Comment

Working...
            X