New facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New facilities

I just wanted to ask you guys about something that have heard several people talking about, new facilities. I have heard some rumors that the changes to frost are just an attempt to undersize the arena so that SDSU will be able to justify a new facility, possibly for football and basketball (ie SDSU dome) that would be similar in size to the fargo dome, or a little larger. This of course wouldn't start fundraising until after the scholarships have been fully endowed, but it makes since with Coughlin not having been improved for some time, even though the facilities money is there for some improvements (engineering building, solberg hall, new performing arts center, frost improvements etc.) I think that coughlin would need improvements way before frost does, and arguably before the rest of the educational facilities, and I know that these are important, I'm not saying there not. I just find it hard to believe that SDSU would continue to D-IAA without an adaquate facility for football, and then would modify frost before the football stadium. Have you guys heard similar rumors?

Re: New facilities

Originally posted by rabbit85
    I just wanted to ask you guys about something that have heard several people talking about, new facilities.  I have heard some rumors that the changes to frost are just an attempt to undersize the arena so that SDSU will be able to justify a new facility, possibly for football and basketball (ie SDSU dome) that would be similar in size to the fargo dome, or a little larger.  This of course wouldn't start fundraising until after the scholarships have been fully endowed, but it makes since with Coughlin not having been improved for some time, even though the facilities money is there for some improvements (engineering building, solberg hall, new performing arts center, frost improvements etc.)  I think that coughlin would need improvements way before frost does, and arguably before the rest of the educational facilities, and I know that these are important, I'm not saying there not.  I just find it hard to believe that SDSU would continue to D-IAA without an adaquate facility for football, and then would modify frost before the football stadium.  Have you guys heard similar rumors?  
    Welcome rabbit85!  Always nice to have another rabbit in the house.  There is no doubt that Coughlin needs improvement to meet our standards.  I say our standards because Coughlin is pretty good by I-AA standards.  We however want to compeat at the highest levels and not be just good enough so I can see improvements coming.  Here is a site so you can compare and contrast Coughlin to other stadiums in I-AA football.

http://www.eteamz.com/I-AAfootball/locations/

You are also right to think that fundraising for scholarships is the main focus right now.  Here is another link you may or may not have had the cance to  read yet but is relevant.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1082798698

Now to Frost.  I don't think the improvements to Frost are anything other then adding high quality seats that we be of interest to season ticket holders.  These new seats at both ends will bring additional revenue to the athletics dept.  Tradeing in GA seats for higher $$$ season ticket seats.  My understand was the Student Section was just about worn out and was in need of being replaced.  Besides it does give Frost a great look in the bottom bowl.  It is true we have lost some seating capacity however I do not think this is a conspiracy to get us a dome.  

At SDSU, basetball in the money maker (right now).  I think we are trying to maximize on that.  It is also some low hanging fruit.  You can get pretty good bang for your buck by upgrading Frost.  These seats cost nothing compaired to what it will cost to do Coughlin right.  Also please understand that Frost is an upper echelon Arena in D-I (top 1/4 of all D-I Arenas in the country, IMO) right now.  We are just making it better.  Here is a breakdown of arenas in the two most likely homes for Jackrabbit sports.

As a comparison here are the Areans of both the Mid-Con and Big Sky.

Weber State - Dee Events Center (12,000)
    Montana - Adams Center (7,500)
    Montana State - Brick Breeden Fieldhouse (7,250)
    Northern Arizona - Walkup Skydome (7,000)
    Eastern Washington - Reece Court (5,000)
    Idaho State - Reed Gym (3,040)
    Portland State - Scott Center (1,500)
    Sacramento State - Hornet Gym (1,300)

Oral Roberts - Mabee Center (10,575)
    UMKC - Municipal Auditorium (9,827)
    Southern Utah - Centrum Arena (5,300)
    Western Ill. - Western Hall (5,139)
    Valpo - Athletics-Rec. Center (5,100)
    Oakland - Athletic Center O’rena (4,005)
    Centenary - Gold Dome (3,000)
    Chicago St. - Jacoby Diickens Center (2,500)
    IUPUI - IUPUI Gym (1,500)

As you can see the new Frost at 7,500 to 8,000 does pretty well.  I don't think you will EVER see a day that Jackrabbit Home Basketball games are played in a dome.

I certainly hope that we make improvments to Coughlin, who knows maybe build a dome to replace it  but we should NEVER play basketball there.  You lose to much atmosphere.  Be patient, I think the improvements you seek are coming.  Here is another thread you may want to check out.  

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1067379695

Welcome once again and keep posting!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit85
      I just wanted to ask you guys about something that have heard several people talking about, new facilities.  I have heard some rumors that the changes to frost are just an attempt to undersize the arena so that SDSU will be able to justify a new facility, possibly for football and basketball (ie SDSU dome) that would be similar in size to the fargo dome, or a little larger.  This of course wouldn't start fundraising until after the scholarships have been fully endowed, but it makes since with Coughlin not having been improved for some time, even though the facilities money is there for some improvements (engineering building, solberg hall, new performing arts center, frost improvements etc.)  I think that coughlin would need improvements way before frost does, and arguably before the rest of the educational facilities, and I know that these are important, I'm not saying there not.  I just find it hard to believe that SDSU would continue to D-IAA without an adaquate facility for football, and then would modify frost before the football stadium.  Have you guys heard similar rumors?  
      Have I heard similar rumors? No none.  New facilities are a long ways off.  Someday a replacement for Frost will be needed.  A FargoDome? thats a long ways off in the future.  Who comes up with these tall tales?

Not to be sarcastic, but there was money budgeted at one time for the wellness center and upgrade to Coughlin. This was part of the SDSU Foundation Vision Campaign 1993-1998.

There was a considerable amount that was  to come from city sales tax, but there was later a a major shift in plans.

The then City of Brookings Mayor and the Dean of Arts and Science, felt that the sales tax increase would be more acceptable to the voters of Brookings if they built a performing arts building which is now in place than doing Coughlin. The tax measured did pass because of this change so I have been told.

The Wellness center and the Coughlin improvements were put on hold and improvements to Coughlin are still on hold.  What happens next remains to be seen.

The possiblity of a new Frost and Dome sounds like coffee clatch speculation and nothing more.

Comment

I think with the recent enhancements to Frost we have concluded the immediate needs at Frost. I would personally hate to ever see a dome stadium in Brookings. I attended the game in Fargo last year and as a Viking season ticket holder I despise the atmosphere of football games inside. I would like to see a major drive to improve Coughlin by adding Field Turf,new scoreboards,suites,lockerooms and a permenent grandstand on the east side. I think the alumni,friends and people of South Dakota would get behind a facility that we could all be proud of as we move into the new world of DIAA football! Maybe we add these new amenities one at a time. Would be curious to see how other poster would prioritize the needs of Coughlin.

Comment

New locker rooms are a must.
          Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

This is just one guys opinion- its controversial-- and I dont think this will EVER happen. but I too believe that a dome could be helpfull- (a real dome not like the Dakota Dome). something like Fargo Dome or the UNI dome. I love the atmosphere at outdoor games, but with our weather situation. November and late October games can be brutal-(I know Green Bay does it). It is fun to discuss and speculate. but I will bet my house that a dome will never be built in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
              This is just one guys opinion- its controversial-- and I dont think this will EVER happen. but I too believe that a dome could be helpfull- (a real dome not like the Dakota Dome). something like Fargo Dome or the UNI dome. I love the atmosphere at outdoor games, but with our weather situation. November and late October games can be brutal-(I know Green Bay does it). It is fun to discuss and speculate. but I will bet my house that a dome will never be built in Brookings.
              Texas_Jack_Fan:

It was great to meet you chat in person about SDSU athletics.  I would agree a dome possiblity is very remote.  We dont know what our budget will look like 5 or 10 years from now.  If the best case senario developes and revenue from Big Dance and guarentee away games starts to flow and there becomes a grassroot movement for new dome, it could happen. I have like the toasty warm domes in November, but watch a USD game in September and early october and they are not running the air conditioning. Its not much fun.

I remember the USD basketball game in Brookings about 2002, when the Carr Study preliminary results were announced through a press conference the same day.
              As the crowd filled Frost, I had a short chat with Dr. Oien.  Although I was about 75% sold on the D1 move, I asked Fred" Do you want to give up this great USD crowd to go D1?"  Fred yelled my first name in a echoing manner. Fred  was surprised with my question.  He went on to tell that in D1 basketball that once you get a sell out crowd, you can sell it to television which means more revenue.  He said then it was very possible to have the nearby Big 10 schools come to Frost.  Then Fred asked" Would your rather see USD here when you could have the Hawkeyes, Cyclones and Gophers here?   I said No and I said was now completely sold on the D1 move.

So things are going to change and maybe we need to think of new facilities.  The big key will be the demand for season tickets.  We also need to make a priority system for football seating, and maybe add back chairs and sky boxes. I dont have a first clue on how this will come about, but these are the things I think we can expect sometime in the near future.

Its a great time to be a Jackrabbit Fan ;D

Comment

In a way I'm glad we have no other home DIAA games other than NDSU in 2004. This will give us another year to make some improvements to Coughlin ie. scoreboards,locker rooms etc.

Comment

Working...
                X