Stan Marshall Golf Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan Marshall Golf Tournament

I just got my renewal form for this year in the mail. How many posters are looking at attending this event? The price may seem like a lot but it is well worth it for my money.

Re: Stan Marshall Golf Tournament

I'm a new doner/Jackrabbit Club member, but I'm interested in this event. Who gets invited? Any info. on how to participate/dates/costs would be appreciated.

Comment

Everyone is invited to participate. The dates for this year are June 4th (Auction) and 5th (Golf). I think they are looking to make it open to more people by having a morning and afternoon start. I'm sure if you called the athletic department they could send you some information.

Comment

Thanks rabbit tracks - I will do that. How good of a golfer do you have to be to play in this?

Comment

You don't need to be a good golfer at all. It's a big time social event.

Comment

I contacted the Athletic Dept. today, this sound like a great event. It costs  $185  but you get a lot of things included for that entry fee. I am looking forward to attending my first Stan Marshall Tournament.

Comment

Here's the skinny Texas_Jack and any others who are unfamiliar, or unsure if they should attend.

Friday night is the auction. Usually great items to bid on, and all of the revenue goes toward scholarships. There are usually some great trips and memorabilia. I've heard they're trying to change the format a little this year for the auction items. The Swiftel Center is a great location for the event as well. Lots of room and gives off a good atmosphere. After the auction the Dweebe's are playing again from what I've been told. They are a great band for this type of post-event activity. Overall Friday night is a great social gathering to meet other alums and supporters and to show your support for SDSU athletes. If you don't want to golf you can always attend the auction only, tickets are in the $20-30 range. Small price to pay for some food (buffet style) and entertainment. Plus it's always fun to see how much Burger Pete is going to spend.

Saturday's golf is basically a social event. There are a handful of teams that are out to win every year. The rest enjoy each other's company and ususally that of a coach or celeb. Typically each team has a coach or celeb for six (or nine) holes and then they rotate. Depending on how many coach/celebs there are you may get three different ones, but you will for sure get paired with one sometime during the day. Format is a scramble, and handicaps are taken into account. Two years ago a bunch of former wrestlers with little skills won the damn thing. Unless you're a returning afternoon golfer plan on playing in the 8am tee time. The afternoon group is full of those that have been around for many years. After the golf is done for the day there is usually a BBQ and more socializing.

And someone help me out, I've heard a viscious rumor that they may be changing the beverage cart situation. Tradition is that Dr. Booher drives the beverage cart around all day and provides liquid refreshment for the golfers. Someone told me that may be changing. How can a staple of the event be changed?? Could they not find a qualified assistant to ride with Dr. Booher this year? I know there are big shoes to fill on the cart, but please, think of the golfers.

Overall, the auction provides good entertainment, the golf is a fun day (weather depending), and you walk away with some nice Jacks swag.

I'll be there Texas_Jack, would be great to meet another contributor to the board and ardent Jacks supporter. I'm sure I'll be playing in the morning (I don't think I've garnered celeb status yet ). I hope some others will be there, if not for the golf then atleast for the auction to support the scholarship. Oh, and for those who are unaware, each year two scholarships are given (one male and one female) in honor of the late Stan Marshall. This event helps keep funding those scholarships. One can only hope that if this even keeps growing that more scholarships could be added in honor of Stan Marshall.

Comment

The big event is this weekend so I thought I'd bring this back to the top. Anyone on the board attending the auction or playing golf? I'll be there all weekend, playing in the afternoon (thanks to a friend from Rapid City). Hopefully this event continues to grow with SDSU.

Comment

Next year for me. My newest Bunny (Daughter, to go with my Son) will be born soon so I am limiting my travel obligations. Everyone have a blast and think of your old pal 89rabbit! ;D

Go State!

Comment

I'll be there, I've really been looking forward to this event. I'm golfing in the morning-Hope to meet some more of you all there.

Comment

I played golf yesterday at the Brookings Country Club and it's in great shape. The greens are starting to speed up and I'm sure the pins will be in tough locations.

If anyone has played in the past I'm sure you'll that the parking lot is so longer gravel. It's paved!!!

See ya Saturday.

GO STATE
                      Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I just got back from the Stan Marshall weekend.  It was very sucessful.  The Auction live and silent had proceeds of $64,000 which they said was a record.  This money will be added to Stan Marshall endowment.  I not sure how much was in that endowment before this year event, but will grow by 64,000. Some of the trips and getway trips were bid up and that really helped.

During the morning golf,I got the opportunity to ride with an NFL scout Joey Klinkscales who works with the New York Jets  The guy is built like a tackle, but played WR for U of Tennessee and spent 5 years in the NFL with the Steelers and another franchise.  He was a very good golfer.  If you recall one of Mike Daley's  assistants Trent Baalke, who also did grad work at NDSU, Trent is now also a NFL scout and he brought Joey and another NFL scout to Brookings. Neither of these guys had ever been in Siouth Dakota, but they seem to have a great time and fit in real well with everyone, even me.  ;D

Apparently Trent enjoyed his years at SDSU and it was nice of him to come and participate and to bring this two scouting friends.

Joey told me that they dont spent much time watching NCAA football games but spent a great deal of time studying videos. He said they have definite weight and height standard for each positions. He said defenseive corner backs that are small do not last long.

Comment

I was not able to make the Stan Marshall this year but enjoyed it last year. Great too hear that a significant amount of dough was raised. Did anyone that attended meet the new football coaches,get confirmation from Nagy or Larson on Moeller's intentions and Jones health and prognosis of other players coming in. Also any more conference talk. The Argus has a couple of nice articles on the conference situation in todays paper.

Comment

I did get a chance to greet Coach Nagy, and I did compliement on fining Steve Holden. Its a little tough to ask personnel questions and Mr. Moeller name did not come up.

The new coaches were there but they golfed in the afternoon and I golfed in the morning. Ben Studer was part of the celebrity core. I rode with Coach Stig for 9 holes and he said that the NFL had given Studer the best look of the three. The Chicago Bears gave him a tryout and sent him home.

Coach said that 4 more scholarships will be added next year and 4 yea until they do get to 63.

Comment

Any word on other possible recruits from coach Nagy? The NDSU board said they have a guy visiting from illinios. I think we could still get a great player or two even this late in the signing period.

Comment

Working...
                              X