STORIES ABOUT SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STORIES ABOUT SDSU

I found this story in the Yankton, SD newspaper. Thought I would set up a new thread where we can post stories from various sources. It seems that a lot more news outlets will be taking an interest in SDSU now and in years to come.

http://www.yankton.net/stories/06260...40626004.shtml

JBNJBQ

Re: STORIES ABOUT SDSU

Good stuff, nice post!  ;D I would say in general that if a paper's story is football related post it under under football, basketball under basketball, and others if it is about something else. In this case the story is about football, basketball, SDSU's move in general, and Steve at WNAX, so this was a great place to post. Just a suggestion, again nice post.

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University!  8)

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      I would say in general that if a paper's story is football related post it under under football, basketball under basketball, and others if it is about something else.  In this case the story is about football, basketball, SDSU's move in general, and Steve at WNAX, so this was a great place to post.
      I agree! This was a hard story to catagorize for the reasons you pointed out. Thanks!

It will be fun to watch as cities from inside and outside South Dakota pick up interest.

There are a lot of D-I Universities that the average person has no idea what state they represent. Valparaiso,Georgetown, Rutgers, Depaul, Marquette (just to name a few).

Everyone will know which state South Dakota State University represents.

We are South Dakota's only D-I University! ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Hod Nielsen is a former USD Football player who is now in his 80's and I think he seems to have been very careful about what he said in the column. Its a re-hash of everything that the Argus has published. I think he might be a little envyous, but also is pointing out the hazzards of D1AA. Steve Emming quotes are interesting, and helpful to SDSU. Being under contract with WNAX seems to be reflected in his comments. Steve is being cautious in his comments, and I dont know who would not be.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
          Hod Nielsen is a former USD Football player who is now in his 80's and I think he seems to have been very careful about what he said in the column. Its a re-hash of everything that the Argus has published.  I think he might be a little envyous, but also is pointing out the hazzards of D1AA. Steve Emming quotes are interesting, and helpful to SDSU.  Being under contract with WNAX seems to be reflected in his comments.  Steve is being cautious in his comments, and I dont know who would not be.
          You are right on, SDSUFAN. Anyone that has been interviewed knows the frustration that comes from being misquoted. Steve was obviously very careful.

The interviewer does not usually give rights to edit. They usually tell the story they set out to tell.

I am surprised that this interviewer was not more anti-SDSU given his background.

Comment

I am not well-acquainted with Hod Nielsen but from my very brief contacts over the years and from reading his writings from time-to-time, I think he just writes as he sees it with no particular bias against State.

Actually, I can't help but wonder if the old sportswriters feel rejuvenated since there'll be a lot of new angles to stories for years to come with SDSU getting back into the competition that it played and beat just a couple decades ago....back to where we belong.

Go Jacks.

Comment

Living south of Yankton 100 miles south, I have noticed over the years that USD has a pretty good following in Yankton and when heading for a SDSU-USD game in the Dome, you get caught in the traffic between Yankton and Vermillion. Depending on the event, traffic can be heavy.

If we also assume much of the readership of the Yankton Press & Dakotan are USD leaning folks, could Hod be sending a subtle message to his fellow USD followers by doing this article? That message being "Looks what is going on in Brookings! Should we start thinking about moving in this direction? Maybe!!!

Comment

I agree, SDSUFAN.

If all goes well for SDSU and NDSU, and USD's alums step up to the plate (the collection plate, that is) like they should have been doing all along, then I look for USD to consider a D-1 move in a few years.

Think about this for UND: aren't the Sioux hosting the D-2 men's Elite Eight in a couple of years? Of course the Sioux won't talk about D-1 now!! But watch...if all goes well for the Bison, the ink on the final stories about the D-2 Elite Eight in Grand Forks will hardly be dry and the Sioux will be looking to move up. UND and NDSU scrap more with one another than SDSU and USD do...no way UND will allow NDSU to get more of the limelight.

All in all, it will make for great entertainment and that's what sports are all about.

Comment

I believe the Elite 8 is in Grand Forks this year?

Comment

I think USD going DI is a long ways off if ever. I would agree they have some wealthy alumni that could make it a reality, but I just don't see them making the committment necessary to make it happen.

Comment

JACKGUY: A betting person would say you're right...but, wouldn't it be kinda fun?

JackJD

Comment

To be honest with you NO. I would rather have SDSU as the only DI school in the state. From a recruiting stand point the state and the region are not exactly producing a surplus of DI athletes. I don't think realistically you can compare UND and USD's situation. I would like nothing better than not to have to go back down to the grainbin and play games. As SDSU continues to garner the majority of the attention and becomes the place that the states top athletes want to play I know it will begin to get under the skin of USD supporters.

Comment

I think you will see UND move up in the very near future,(2-3 years) They have the resources to be D1, and if you were a und alumni - would you stand by and let NDSU completely take over collegiant sports in the state of North Dakota? ( SDSU and NDSU will be the only college sports of significance in their respective states in just a couple of years) (I think this jealousy is what you see manifested on their board-They are pretty PO'ed about not mattering anymore). I dont think usd has a choice -they have nothing in place for such a move, thats why they fought tooth and nail to prevent SDSU from doing it. It just won't happen unless they have a Ralph Englestad in the woodwork who is willing to pony up a 100 million for new facilities and endow all the scholarships. But money cant buy support from the fans thats why usd will always be DII or drop to DIII in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X