SDSU had a big day on the Mike and Craig show KWSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU had a big day on the Mike and Craig show KWSN

This one of the few days that I have had a chance to listen into the sports talk show today.  Mike is on vacation but Craig played exceprts from the press conference this morning about Rod Dehaven being named the CC, Track and field coach.  Also he had Chris Solari on as the Argus Beat writer for SDSU.  

The naming of Dehaven is really big. I did not realize how much impact Dehaven would have until hearing it today on the show. Rod and his career as a runner since leaving SDSU is as big and now returning to SDSU to coach would be as big as Phil Jackson returning to UND to coach mens basketball. (Shucks Rich Glas would be out of a job).  

Also Chris seem more upbeat about SDSU and the move to D1, then say he was a year ago with his writings. I thought he was very positive about SDSU in his comments and he even indicated that returning to D2 is not an option for SDSU if a basketball conference is not found in the near future.

Nothing really new except Chris joked about wanting a trip to the Virgin Islands.

By and large a good day for SDSU on KWSN.

Re: SDSU had a big day on the Mike and Craig show

I have a great pic taken today showing Coach Danger handing a baton to new Coach DeHaven.

Over the past few months, I've exchanged e-mail with Rod...he's really pumped about getting back to SDSU. He inherits a XCountry program with a real star, Brad Lowery, and a group of experienced runners on both the men's and women's squads.

The athletes are going to really miss Coach Danger but I think he'll still be a part of their lives and he'll continue to follow the team, now coached by his good friend.

Comment

If anyone wants a copy of that pic, send me a message with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you...it's a digital pic from the press conference I received from Ron Lenz (I wasn't at the press conference).

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention in the prior post and that was that SDSU plans to add two assistants in CC, track and field.  This was one of Rod recommendations that was apparently discussed in his interview.  I would not argue with him if I were the AD, and Fred apparently wisely bought into this recommendation.  This could be part of the solution to taking the programs to a new level. I am too lazy to get my copy of the Carr Report out and see if it was a recommendation. It probably was.

The fact that both Danger and Dehaven show concern about their athletes does make them Jim Emmerich's in that sense.

Dr. Oien has told me a number of times that how the athlete feels about SDSU when they leave is very important to the institution.  Head coaches develope these positive feelings or they do not and it has to be a big part of evaluations and contract renewal considerations.  I think if a coach such as Paul Danger shows concern toward the athletes those positive feelings become a fact and a reality.

Comment

Working...
        X