ROD DEHAVEN WILL BE NEXT SDSU TRACK & CC COACH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROD DEHAVEN WILL BE NEXT SDSU TRACK & CC COACH

Heard from good sources that SDSU graduate Rod Dehaven will be the next SDSU Track and Cross Country head coach.

Rod is a 16 time All American 1984-1987. He holds several SDSU records.

Dehaven was inducted into the NCAA Divcision II Coaches Association Cross Country Hall of Fame in November of 2003.

He was also a member of the 2000 USA summer olympic team which competed in Sidney Australia.

A GREAT choice!

Re: ROD DEHAVEN WILL BE NEXT SDSU TRACK & CC C

That is a great hire, I think Rod is from Huron. He would have to be the most famous track athlete in SDSU history.

Comment

If JBNJBQ sources prove to be correct, this would be an excellent choice.

I do know that Nancy Nieber left our golf group after nine holes in Volga because she had to pick up a coach at the air port. After thinking about it for a while, it finally occurred to me that she was probably picking up a track and field & CC candidate that was flying in. It could have been Rod that was being pick-up or it could have been some one else. There was little publicty about finalists. Maybe too much going on.

Dehaven experience at the Olympic level can only help. We do need a coach that can get us back to the Jim Emmerich level of winning the conference championship and producing national champions.

Paul Danger will be missed as I think he was starting to rebuild the program. The next coach should have less problems then what Paul faced when he became coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
        That is a great hire, I think Rod is from Huron. He would have to be the most famous track athlete in SDSU history.
        Rod is indeed from Huron. I ran against him many times in HS. He was (and probably is still) FAST. I hope he is selected and does a fine job.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I think Rod has been the front runner all along but the search committee did a thorough search. I ran at SDSU, have one son running at SDSU now and a second son will join the team this Fall. We're anxiously awaiting a formal announcement naming Rod.

Rod is one of the best runners in SDSU's history but even he will tell you State has had some good ones. Ron currently holds school records including the 800 (1:48) and 1500 (3:40), relays etc. Best of all, he's been to the top, knows what it's all about and has the reputation and credentials that will serve the school well.

Someone commented that he'll be a coach like Jim Emmerich. Not to take anything away from Coach Emmerich, lets not forget the success we had with Jay Dirksen at the helm (now the CC coach at Nebraska) and Scott Underwood, DeHaven's coach. Paul Danger had the cross country program at the top and he and DeHaven are close friends.

I had hoped the formal announcement would have been made this week. Keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

That was 1:48 for the 800.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
              I think Rod has been the front runner all along but the search committee did a thorough search.  I ran at SDSU,  have one son running at SDSU now and a second son will join the team this Fall.  We're anxiously awaiting a formal announcement naming Rod.

Rod is one of the best runners in SDSU's history but even he will tell you State has had some good ones.  Ron currently holds school records including the 800 (1:48) and 1500 (3:40), relays etc.  Best of all, he's been to the top, knows what it's all about and has the reputation and credentials that will serve the school well.

Someone commented that he'll be a coach like Jim Emmerich.  Not to take anything away from Coach Emmerich, lets not forget the success we had with Jay Dirksen at the helm (now the CC coach at Nebraska) and Scott Underwood, DeHaven's coach.  Paul Danger had the cross country program at the top and he and DeHaven are close friends.

I had hoped the formal announcement would have been made this week.  Keeping fingers crossed.
              JACKJD:
              Since you have experience as a student athlete in track and field and Cross country, I am sure have followed these sports much closer than I have in the past 20 years or so.

I am old enough and grew up in Brookings and have fawn memories of walking by Mike's Eat Shop, part of the old College Theater building and looking at the NAIA 1953 National Championship trophy.  If you read the chapter on in "College On The Hill" about this championship, there were five guys who rode in Emmerich's car to Abliene Texas, werey sort of down when returning and all the students had went home for the summer.  I think that is why the trophy was on display at Mike Efitmue restaurtant for a time. Mike a Greek immigrant made great stakes and he was the beef table for SDSU during the 1950's. All the athletes and Coach Emmerich could be seen coming and going to Mikes Eat shop for a stake after practice and other times.  I just read this chapter a couple of days ago so its a very interesting chapter. Also Emmerich left SDSU to work with the Olympics as a trainer and coach. In my mind he was the greatest and when I was introduced to Paul Danger at a golf outing a few years back, I chidded him about being the new "Jim Emmerich".

The thing that makes Emmerich stand out I feel is he was balanced  between having winners in track and Field and Cross Country. Some of his sucessors were not., ie Scott Underwood, who cared only about cross country.  Scott'st skewed interest towards CC  caused him his job from what I been told. His subsequent legal action againt SDSU does not set well with me, but thats not to say he may have had some recourse and persued it.  Lets say he is not one of my favorite people.

Jay Dirkesen yes was sucessful, but for the last 20 years did SDSU win a NCC championship in Track and Field?  No we have not and its always been about a fourth place finish, which would never have happened under Emmerich.  Meanwhile one of our alums has been winning them year and year out at NDSU. You know I am talking about Don Larsen.

I hope we can get in a conference for track and Field and we do win a another conference and a national championship some day.

Maybe it would help to split the two sports and hire another coach which would be ideal in my opinion.

Paul Danger had quite a mess when he came.  That Henderson guy from California was something else. When the student athletes are denied meal money on a sponsored event, its sad.  I think Paul has been remarkable in terms of recruiting and figthing that Henderson repetition which is not easily forgotten in the state of South Dakota.

I do hope Rod can take both sports to a new level.

Comment

SDSU Fan et al.:

I offer the follwoing additional thoughts on Cross Country and Track and Field. ...

For many of us, we tend to lump XCountry and Track/Field into one sport that in the backs of our minds, is "running." For the competitors (just talk to a thrower, jumper or vaulter), the Title IX regulators, and staticians, they are two quite separate and distinct sports. So, I suggest we should look at the sports separately. If one does that, then you'll have to concede that Underwood did a fabulous job as XC coach...just look at the All-Americans, NCC Championships and National titles/places while he held the reins.

Under Coach Danger, SDSU was again recognized as a real XC powerhouse on the national level and simply could not be challenged at the NCC level. I've said it before and will say it again: SDSU's Cross Country team is a D-1 team RIGHT NOW and has been for several years. Losing Paul Danger is a real loss...I just think the hiring of his good friend Rod DeHaven is the best way to address this tremendous loss and Dr. Oien will get high marks in my book if DeHaven is selected as Paul's replacement.

SDSU leaves the NCC with 29 Men's conference titles in Cross Country...this year's title was the fourth in a row for Paul Danger's runners. The next closest team is Mankato with 9. Try to match that performance in any other sport!!

NDSU men's track and field, with SDSU All-American and Hall-of-Famer Don Larson at the helm, is an example of a very well-balance track team. The NDSU women's track and field are another great example (DII National champs a couple years ago). Larson's teams at NDSU are somewhat similar to the Dirksen-coached teams Larson ran on: top performers in most or all running events supplemented by a large stable of excellent 400/800 meter runners who can go up or down in events as necessary.

Take a look at NDSU's dominance in the decathlon...that tells you a lot about the quality of the coaches in all events.

Now, here's an interesting point. Think about the relationship between successful track and field teams and participation in that sport by athletes who also play football.

Compare the NDSU track and field roster to the NDSU football roster. See the number of athletes on both? You'll readily see that some of the football standouts are on the awards stands at the NCC track and field meet. It's always been that way at NDSU.

Okay, go back in time to the Emmerich-coached Jackrabbit track and field teams and compare those rosters to the SDSU football rosters of those days...see the athletes on both? Move ahead to the Dirksen-coached, NCC championship track and field teams of the early 70s. I was there. So was NDSU's Don Larson. Compare those rosters to the football rosters and note the number of athletes on both. Running backs = sprinters & long jumpers. Linemen = shot and disc champs.

(Bear with me, I think I'm approaching my point.) Take a look at USD's track and field teams in recent years under the tutelage of Dave Gottsleben, a teammate of mine and Larson at SDSU under Dirksen. Go ahead, compare rosters between football and track and field. Yep, some of the same names. [Side note: Gotts has had some teams that could kick the pants off NDSU in the distance events and match well in other events but SDSU seemed to assist NDSU in NDSU winning the conference title because USD's distance guys couldn't beat the Jacks!][Another side note: Gottsleben's success with a smaller budget than NDSU is very impressive! Again, its a credit to Gotts, womens' coach Lucky Huber and their entire staff.]

Okay...this isn't intended to be controversial but take any year since Stig has been running the football program, and compare the football roster to the track and field roster. Jack football players participating in track and field are as rare as hen's teeth. I know a few have somehow broken the rule but it is clear something is going on which discourages or prevents an athlete from participating in two sports. There were one or two when Wayne Haensel, the great throws coach, assisted in football (and then SDSU's throwers always won or challenged for conference titles). I think NCC sprint champ Frank Blalark played football a few years ago.

Ever watch one of the great 4 x 100 relay teams from So. Cal or Texas? I have. Many of the same guys are wearing helmets in the Fall. I can give you countless examples from major programs of football players being integral components in successful track programs.

Oh yes, this year a Jackrabbit won the NCC shotput title and he was on the Fall football roster...but, I understand he quit football and then decided to go out for track.

Can you imagine a guy like Pete Retzlaff being discouraged from participarting in track and field? How about a guy like Clyde Hagen being told he can only be in one sport? Look at the Jackrabbit NCC champs in the shot and disc over the years...most of them were football players. Years ago, the SDSU sprint relay teams usually had a football player or two on them. Not anymore.

I like football a lot and I don't want to take anything away from any sport but successful university track and field programs include football players. That doesn't happen at SDSU.

Discussion is healthy. Go Jacks!

Comment

Lots of good points and history JackJD. Do you think that Jaron Harris (new WR recruit) from Sioux Falls will be a sprinter on the mens track team? His 10.41 /100 meters he ran at Pierre this season puts him among the elite sprinters in the nation this year.

Comment

JackJD:

You are right!

The current climate at SDSU does not allow scholarship athletes from one sport to participate in another. That is unfortunate.

Just look at the credentials of the current athletes in all sports (men and women). Almost every one of them was a track athlete. Many had great success and some hold all time records at their respective High Schools.

We have fine athletes in our track and field and cross country programs, but added depth always helps.

Comment

[TEXAS_JACKS_FAN wrote: Lots of good points and history JackJD. Do you think that Jaron Harris (new WR recruit) from Sioux Falls will be a sprinter on the mens track team? His 10.41 /100 meters he ran at Pierre this season puts him among the elite sprinters in the nation this year.]

He should be...the question is, will he be allowed to run track. Jaron's mom talked to my wife at a meet this Spring and I know she'd like to her son playing football AND running track (interesting competition: mom v. coach... )

Let me tell you about Harris: The guy is for real. He didn't make huge headlines in track because he pulled a hamstring and missed the much of the middle part of the season...he came back and ran well at the State Track Meet but you have to take it easy on those hamstring pulls or they can be chronic. In his case, I think he's 100% by now.

Jaron is a classic running back: the first few yards is what counts and he has tremendous opening acceleration.

Nice kid, too. Track fans would like to see him out...I have a special interest since I'll have a freshman and a senior on the team.

Comment

I said Harris is a classic running back but meant to say WR...but, heck, I'd give him a try at running back too if he has a great blocker in front of him.

Comment

(Jaron Harris) What is his size? I thought I saw 6'2 190lbs. is that about right? I am very excited about this kids future. He could potentially be great.

Comment

I think that's about right, Tex. But, he has the frame that can take a few more pounds as he gets into the college weight-training program.

The Jacks have every right to be excited about Jaron being on campus.

Comment

Tex: I jumped to the official site and Jaron Harris is listed at 6-1, 190.

Comment

Working...
                              X