BROOKINGS REGISTER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BROOKINGS REGISTER

I realize this is a small town newspaper but they certainly could offer better coverage of the DI happenings and SDSU in general. I check the paper daily to see if they have posted anything about the upcoming football season and there has been nothing to date. I have sent e-mails inquiring about more SDSU Athletics coverage but they seem content to cover what the city council discussed at their last meeting rather than the exciting days ahead with DI Sports. I would like to see the SDSU sports fans put more pressure on the paper to upgrade their coverage.

Re: BROOKINGS REGISTER

I agree, I look everyday as well, and if I see one more story about a different level of baseball going on in Brookings I am going to scream. >

Comment

I can only chime in on the disappointment in coverage, but at times its been okay.  I think they have some fear in putting too much on the internet as they fear they will lose out of state subscribers like me. I paid $164 for my print subscription.  The Brookings Register has not been locally owned for decades, but Omaha World Herald owned it for a while, and they sold it to some other news group, not Gannett thank God.

Willaim N McMacken, or "Billy" the great baseball player for SDSU is the publisher.  I dont know how Billy feels about the move to D1, but he may have some disappointment about making Huether Field into a parking lot. We probably destroyed his field of dreams. ;D.

I have talked to Jerrod Niedermeyer the editor a couple times and seem like an okay guy with no local ties to Brookings that I know of.  They have had a turnover in sports writers.  The current sports writer is Tigh Lessman.  The email address for The Brookings Register is registernews@brookings.net

Maybe a few emails may get their attention.  I sure they have some articles planned, but they seem to hold them until 2 days from game day which is very old fashion to say the least. It would be helpful to Pump them(SDSU Fans) Now.

I would hope Tigh is covering the practice maybe he can tell you in a email, how things are going.  Doesnt hurt to try him and see what he has to say. He is brand new to the Register though.

Comment

They are a very good small town newspaper. I played ball with Billy (he was another Soph. that the brought up during playoff time) and he is a good guy. They do a nice job reporting after the games but are bad about pre-game stuff. As SDSUFAN said very old school (took some liberties).

Comment

89Rabbit
          Maybe you can coax Billy to upgrade the reporting for preseason/pregame rather than just covering the results.

Comment

I have not talked to Billy is years (moved to KC in '91), but I will bring it up the next time I see him.

Matt

Comment

The Register has issues, nothing put on line about last weeks game, nothing about the upcoming game with NDSU. However they do have a Cross Country preview. Don't get me wrong I am proud of all our Jackrabbit teams and this looks like a heck of an opportunity for our runners. I just would like to see a little more football. The Fargo paper does a great job of covering the Bison. I would like to see the Register do half as good a job. Here is the CC article:

SDSU cross country team to run in Meet of Champions

From Staff Reports September 26, 2003

Competition hosts Division I runners
              The South Dakota State cross country teams will be traveling to The Bronx, N.Y., to compete in the J.P. Doyle Meet of Champions on Saturday.

Iona College is hosting the meet that is full of Division I teams including Auburn, Boston University, Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

There are only two other non-Division I team taking part in the meet.

The meet expects 23 women's teams and 19 men's teams to compete.

The races start at 10 a.m. Eastern time, 9 a.m. Central time, at Cortlandt Park.

The SDSU men's and women's teams are coming off winning the Augustana/Eros Invitational.

SDSU's Brad Lowery won the individual in the men's contest while Jackrabbit Sheena Dauer won the women's individual.

The Jacks will return to the Midwest to compete on Oct. 3 at the Northern State Open in Aberdeen.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...=461&rfi=9

Go SDSU CC Team. Give 'em hell in the Bronx!

Comment

Was the Brookings Register sold or are they just using a different provider to post their online version? The company showing the site is News Media Corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                  Was the Brookings Register sold or are they just using a different provider to post their online version? The company showing the site is News Media Corporation.
                  No, News Media Corporation has owned the Register since 1999 when they bought it from the Omaha World-Herald. Looks like just a different provider for the online version. :-/

http://www.brookingsregister.com/

Go State!

Comment

I may be repeating what 89rabbit has already stated but here is the new website that I found for The Brookings Register websit using google search

http://www.brookingsregister.com/main.php?page=24

Comment

I've found the same frustrations with postings online for the Register. They're always a day (or month) behind on everything.

Can someone confirm this, but didn't Billy McMacken leave the Register this summer? Thought I heard it through the grapevine.

Also, I know last year and through the spring the sports writers for the Register were very anti-DI and weren't afraid to write about it. Hopefully with a new sports editor that would change. Don't count on much D-I news coverage though, too many other sports for one man to cover. If anyone talks to Rod Thormgaarden (sp) ask him his view on the D-I issue. He was a big fan of the move (note the sarcasm),

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy
                        I've found the same frustrations with postings online for the Register.  They're always a day (or month) behind on everything.

Can someone confirm this, but didn't Billy McMacken leave the Register this summer? Thought I heard it through the grapevine.

Also, I know last year and through the spring the sports writers for the Register were very anti-DI and weren't afraid to write about it. Hopefully with a new sports editor that would change. Don't count on much D-I news coverage though, too many other sports for one man to cover.  If anyone talks to Rod Thormgaarden (sp) ask him his view on the D-I issue. He was a big fan of the move (note the sarcasm),
                        Catch 'em all,

I looked at today's Register and the puplisher is listed as William N. "Billy" McMaken still. So I guess he is still with them.

Are you or have you been a receiver at State? Just wondering about the user name.

Comment

There is an article posted on the Sport Section of the Brookings Register Website that is called Countdown to DI. I can't seem to pull it up?

Comment

Here is the article from the Brookings Register
                            A good article, but slow in coming.

Countdown to D-1 move
                            BY TIGH LESSMAN
                            Two topics of interest come to mind when the subject of South Dakota State’s move to NCAA Division I comes into a conversation – the first being a question of whether the rest of the Jackrabbit sports teams will have a conference and the second being whom are the Jacks going to play this upcoming season.

* The search continues
                            SDSU has approached different conferences (Big Sky, Horizon League, Midcontinent, Missouri Valley) and asked to be thought of when they have their annual meeting of officials to decide weather the conference wants to expand or stay at its current size. The most recent to meet was the Horizon League which met last week and did not admit South Dakota State into its league.
                            “We did not have a serious conversation with either of those two leagues. To be honest, I didn’t even know they were were going to discuss us,” said SDSU athletic director Fred Oien. “But I’m glad they did because it says something about how we’re on their radar screen.”
                            The Big Sky and Midcontinent conferences are still deliberating and will meet in the beginning of August.
                            “We need to stay patient and hopefully we’re in the right position at the right time to be considered when they decide to expand,” said Oien.
                            Dusty Clements, the Big Sky Conference media relations director, said, “The meeting is to look at the expansion of an issue and see what the league wants to do.”
                            Clements was quick to point out that what SDSU is doing is a bit unusual, but not impractical.
                            “It’s really unusual for schools to contact a conference to express their interest,” Clements said, but when asked about the possibility of SDSU or NDSU joining the conference soon he said, “Its hard to say until the board meets. We don’t have any schools leaving. That’s why we’re [Big Sky] in such a good position right now. We’re all committed to each other and there are no schools threatening to leave.”
                            The Big Sky currently had eight schools, which is the minimum number to be included as a conference with an automatic bid into a NCAA Division I national tournament such as the basketball tourney in March and April.
                            When asked whether there are any downsides to accepting a school new to Division I, Clements said, “There probably wouldn’t be a lot of drawbacks. But they would also be looking to make the league better, not just bigger.”
                            Oien did admit SDSU may not find a conference.
                            “It’s a reality that we may not find a conference. We understood that going in – that it was a risk,” said Oien. “Do we have plans in case that happens? We’ve gone through a variety of scenarios that we might take at that point.”
                            Oien said the real pressure comes when SDSU can fully qualify for postseason play.
                            “You absolutely need a conference to have an automatic qualifier. There are no independent automatic qualifiers,” said Oien.

Continued in next reply

Comment

The Brookings Register Count down to D1 continued

Countdown to D-1 move
                              BY TIGH LESSMAN

* Whom are we playing?
                              Scheduling teams to play SDSU is another big challenge in the eyes of coaches and AD Fred Oien, but thus far into the scheduling process shows a completed football, volleyball and soccer schedule.
                              “As far as scheduling is concerned, our coaches have been unbelievably good at getting balanced schedules with home and away games,” Oien said.
                              Although one thing many fans will notice is the lack of home games for the football team which finds itself taking two trips to California, one to Georgia and one to Louisiana, as well as the shorter road games in Colorado, Montana and Utah.
                              Not to worry, Jackrabbit fans. Look into 2005 – we already have six contracts for home games with the opportunity to sign two more. SDSU could play a total of eight home games two seasons from now.
                              “Football is a little more difficult for us to counter-balance,” Oien said. “It’ll be a drought this year, but next year it will balance out and the year after should be back to normal with even home and away contests.”
                              According to Oien, every sport had come up with fantastic schedules for the first year of Division I competition, a transition which should be the most difficult of any.
                              The volleyball team begins its season Sept. 3 in Hawaii, followed by a trip to New Mexico and another to Milwaukee. Along the way the Jacks will face competition like Texas-El Paso, Boston College, Marquette and New Mexico State. But unless you like to travel, SDSU won’t be at home until Sept. 24 to take on NAIA powerhouse American University. From there the Jacks have an abundance of home contests against Division II opponents.
                              The soccer team begins its season on Aug. 27 and 28, against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Marquette University, coming home to play Wayne State in one of five home games SDSU had scheduled.
                              The basketball teams are still in the procedure of scheduling games, but some big-name opponents are looking to match up with the Jacks.
                              On the men’s side, SDSU will be on the road for its first seven games, playing Butler, Manhattan, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Southeast Missouri State, Denver, Tennessee State and San Diego State. In 2005-06 the following schools are making a return trip to Brookings: Missouri-Kansas City, Tennessee State, Denver, Butler, Manhattan, Southeast Missouri State and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
                              The women’s basketball team will face its toughest challenge at the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands.
                              “The biggest thing there is not the fact they’re playing in the Virgin Islands, but who they’re playing, which is Kentucky, Rutgers and Oregon State,” said Oien.

* Facilities update
                              The Frost Arena was the first to see improvement when the student-section side of the floor seats were replaced with blue plastic-covered bleachers complete with the word J-A-C-K-S across the side.
                              At the ends of the floor, the bleachers have been replaced with reserved seat backs like the ones on the north side of the floor.
                              Construction on the new baseball field had been started. The infield and outfield should be ready to practice on come this fall. The softball park, which had a contract out, will be across the road from the baseball field, just north of the football practice fields.

* New faces to be hired
                              SDSU is about to offer the head cross country and track coach position. They are currently interviewing for an assistant swim coach. The baseball coach search is closed and about to start the interview process after July 4. The equestrian coaching position is being advertised and closes July 9.
                              Send us your comments about this article.

Comment

Working...
                              X