BB season tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB season tickets

I have not purchased BB season tickets before but intend to do so this year (last kid graduated from high school and will be a Jackrabbit this Fall, joining an older brother...so, likely we won't follow the high school as much).

I've received my Priority Points Rating and infomation about the system. It's pretty confusing!

Here's my question: Is SDSU's priority system similar to systems used at other schools? I guess I can understand why some system is necessary (some fans get a little testy if they've been donating consistently for years and have to compete for a corner seat).

Anyway, what the heck...if it helps make the program successful, then it's worthwhile.

Re: BB season tickets

Originally posted by JackJD
    I have not purchased BB season tickets before but intend to do so this year (last kid graduated from high school and will be a Jackrabbit this Fall, joining an older brother...so, likely we won't follow the high school as much).

I've received my Priority Points Rating and infomation about the system.  It's pretty confusing!

Here's my question:  Is SDSU's priority system similar to systems used at other schools?  I guess I can understand why some system is necessary (some fans get a little testy if they've been donating consistently for years and have to compete for a corner seat).

Anyway, what the heck...if it helps make the program successful, then it's worthwhile.
    If point system at SDSU is simliar to "other schools" includes NDSU, the answer is yes.  When the lower back chairs were installed on the east side, the current point system was put into use. I recall Fred Oien telling me that they planned to follow a point system that was already in use for football and basketball priority seating at NDSU at least in principle.  That was system used as a guide as I recall.

They used SDSU foundation records, and records relating to season ticket purchases.  The point system is designed to award those with open pocket books more than those who have purchased season tickets and come to the games. Points are also earned by being a fund raiser in your own circle of friends, neighbors and relatives.  Some will not be happy with the permenant chairs underneath the baskets.  It has been general mission since Frost open in 1973 and those fans who have been fixtures in those bleacher seats have probably not donated anything to the Jackrabbit Club.

I know from reading in the Omaha World Herald, that AD Bill Brynes who replaced Bob Devaney as AD at UNL quickly got the nickname "Dollar Bill" because instituted a point system for season tickets at Memorial Staduim.
    I think you have heard stories about season tickets preferences being in wills etc. Some of the older fans who had been holders in the 1950's  when the Huskers were not a good program complained that they were season ticket holders during the bad times, but had not donated to the booster clubs.  So point systems get people riled in most places because of being able to claim a given seat at a given event.

Most of the staff at SDSU would tell you the point system has help increase donations to the Jackrabbit Club.

The thing about the contributions to the Jackrabbit club is that an IRS ruling is followed and mentioned often by SDSU HPER.  The IRS gave a letter of intrepretation as I understand that said that on Schedule A, you can deduct only 80 per cent of your contribution since you have received value in exchange of giving your donation.
    The gift being preferred seating and parking.  In other words if you give $1000.00 you can only deduct $800.
    I dont like this ruling, and have discussed this with Dr Oien more than once, but Fred can only follow on this and let everyone know.

I know there is one person on this board who can explain this much better so hopefully this person will chime in.

Comment

SDSUFAN explained some things pretty well.

The Priority Point System was put in place to put more value on the lower level chairback seating. Season ticket purchases and donations to the JRC have increased three-fold since it's inception.

There are a variety of ways to earn points (http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ti...ints/Index.cfm). One thing to remember is that only donations to the JRC (or A.C.E.) count toward points. A donation to the College of Engineering for example doesn't count since the Athletic Department doesn't directly benefit. Also, only full season ticket purchases since Frost Arena opened count. There are mini-packs available, but do not figure in to priority point calculations or assigning of seats. And those that bought tickets in the Barn get no credit for those purchases.

Priority Point systems are used around the country at all levels of college athletics. Fred, Keith, and VJ did a lot of research into what other schools were doing and how their systems were set up before implementing the system.

The bottom line is that sometimes new donors and ticket buyers feel slighted that their seats are perceived as being not so great when they are trying to compare themselves to others. In reality, no one knows what anyone else donates, how long they've donated or buy season tickets, or even how they get their tickets. The best is when someone complains about "so-and-so having great seats when I know they don't give a dime to the JRC". Well that may be true, but so-and-so may have a good friend with a big wallet and a lot of points and they get seats from them. Not a great practice though since when it's time for the big fish to move on, the guy that was getting the benefit of having that friend is now SOL and must start over.

You're doing the right thing by getting involved now and starting to earn points yourself. I posted on a different thread, but basically if you get in now you'll get the benefit of some FES'ers dropping out, added seating for season ticket holders, and priority for tickets to "big-time" games that may be played.

Comment

Thanks for the explanations.

I note that Erin B., the ticket manager, is great to deal with. (There must be times when she'd like to trade that job!)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
          Thanks for the explanations.

I note that Erin B., the ticket manager, is great to deal with.  (There must be times when she'd like to trade that job!)
          I think she had someone good to learn the job from

Also, it never hurts to let Keith Mahlum that his people are doing a good job. Drop him an email if you feel Erin is doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy

The bottom line is that sometimes new donors and ticket buyers feel slighted that their seats are perceived as being not so great when they are trying to compare themselves to others.  In reality, no one knows what anyone else donates, how long they've donated or buy season tickets, or even how they get their tickets.  The best is when someone complains about "so-and-so having great seats when I know they don't give a dime to the JRC".  Well that may be true, but so-and-so may have a good friend with a big wallet and a lot of points and they get seats from them.  Not a great practice though since when it's time for the big fish to move on, the guy that was getting the benefit of having that friend is now SOL and must start over.
            I can not resist commenting on the above because it hits very close to home.  I have enought points to purchase 6 tickets of which 4 go to friends and classmates that go back to the six grade.  These two friends however are contributing every year and realize the risk if I should leave the living.

There have been times getting tickets to me and friends has been a real hazzle for the ticket office.   Relocating to Brookings will make the arrangement easier, but the HPER Ticket office has been more than accommodating since I live in Nebraska and friends are in the Brookings area.

If a new system comes out that includes corporate sponsors who get more than six seats, then I expect the current arrangement is going to change. Its a fact of life, and I have been a witness to change since 1941 and its not over yet. I just want SDSU to be sucessful in the future and if it means a seat 20 rows back then so be it.

I think sometimes fans especially local fans seem to think that seating is like that at a local high school game, namely first come, first seats.  Our BB programs are much more of a quality of entertainment and need to be prized accordingly and the seating needs to be awarded to those who support the JRC. Ticket revenue is a small source of revenue in the total HPER budget

Comment

Working...
            X