What to do now that SDSU is gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do now that SDSU is gone?

In another story from the Argus, the question is asked of USD and Augie what to do not that SDSU is gone.  I must say I always liked the fact that everyone else thought we were their arch rival (USD, Augie, even Northern).

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayfeature.shtml

Old rivals fading out; new challenges await
    Mick Garry
    Argus Leader

published: 7/25/2004

Augustana, USD face new sports landscape with loss of No. 1 rival

In the wake of the departure of South Dakota State as a league and state rival, the athletic departments at Augustana and the University of South Dakota are entering their own new era.

Officials at both schools say they embrace NCAA Division II and the North Central Conference, the two entities the Jackrabbits are leaving behind.

They also admit, however, that things won't be the same around here without Division I-bound SDSU to kick and be kicked by. From recruiting battles to attendance figures and everything in between figures to be affected by the change.  .  .  .

There are two main sides to that unpredictable future the state's remaining NCC schools face.

On one side, there are adjustments Augustana and USD will make because SDSU is gone. Revenue from those big gates the Jackrabbits attracted is gone, as is the buzz those contests generated among South Dakotans.

On the other side, the schools have to make some adjustments precisely because SDSU is not gone.  .  .

To paraphrase what several at USD and Augustana said when asked about life without the Jacks: "What's good for them isn't necessarily good for us."

"It appeared that SDSU was not happy with what they thought the state of Division II was at this juncture," Augustana athletic director Bill Gross said.   .  .  .

No more Big Game

USD's biggest crowds historically have been for SDSU games, not games with Augustana. The same could be said for Augustana - the Jacks have usually outdrawn the Coyotes in Sioux Falls.  .  .  .

The challenge then is to beef up what has usually been the second-biggest game of the year in terms of fan support.  .  .  .

Sticking with DII

There were 278 schools in Division II as of last December according to the NCAA, with 150 with football programs. The total membership is up from 246 in 1993, an increase of 13 percent. The average enrollment of all Division II schools is 3,400, with the football schools having an average budget of $1,190,000.

USD's budget was $4,041,603 for 2003-04. At Augustana the budget was $3,090,754.

The watering down of Division II - one of the main stated reasons for SDSU's departure - has not came to pass yet in terms of scholarship reductions for football or reductions in scholarships for any other sports.

It's a topic that has been an issue within the Division II community for a long time and will continue to be - a proposal to reduce football scholarships from 36 to 28 awaits administrators now .  .  .

Recruiting athletes

History will be a reliable guide when it comes to measuring the effect SDSU's jump has on the options available the area's high school athletes. The eventual changes ensuing could vary greatly depending on the sport.

In basketball, for instance, SDSU's scholarship limit will jump from 10 to 13. Significant, but not earth-shaking. In football,  .  .  .the school can potentially award up to 63 scholarships at Division I-AA. That's an increase of 75 percent.  

"In Division II football there are very few full-rides," Heinitz said. "If they get up to 63, you're going to see a lot of full-rides and it's going to come down to a dollar decision for a kid. SDSU will rule the roost because money still talks."  .  .  .

Basketball deals with far fewer athletes. In addition, SDSU is making the jump to full-fledged Division I in the sport, as it is with all sports other than football.

"We're still going to recruit the best players in the state," Boots said. "That's something we've been doing for a long time here and it's not going to change.  .  .  .

The perception of added prestige - in addition to added scholarship funds - will be a definite challenge for the schools in SDSU's Division I shadow.

SDSU will not be able to compete in NCAA postseason play in any sport for the next five years, however. The school can definitely expect to have an increased national presence in the meantime and thereafter .  .  .

"Right now we're OK," said Augustana volleyball coach Kim Sudbeck, whose Vikings have been consistently nationally-ranked. "They're not able to compete for a national championship or a conference championship yet. When that happens, though, I think you're going to start to see a change."

Augustana men's basketball coach Tom Billeter, who spent 12 years as a Division I assistant sandwiched around five years as the head coach at NDSU, said the level of player needed to be successful in the NCC has always been a Division I-level player.

"The way I look at it, the NCC has essentially been a lower-level Division I league for a long time," Billeter said. "In terms of talent and fan support, that's what we have here.  .  .  .If we have a Division I-level player in the state, it's going to be an advantage for SDSU over the rest of us. I wish them well on this. It's a gutsy move. I also wish they were still in the league."  .  .  .

I too wish nothing but the best forAugie and USD and the path they have chosen.

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University!  ;D

Re: What to do now that SDSU is gone?

I just made about the same post over on the Argus Coverage thread, but decided to delete it and add my comments here.

This is indeed an interesting article. I like how AD Gross and Marcil defend the unlikeness of D2 reducing scholarships. The same people that are now on the NCAA committees that oppose the decrease in scholarships, will not be on those committee indefinitely. Once you get a collation of PSAC and RMAC people on these committee, the reduction measure will move forward and will be on the agenda for the entire membership to consider by vote. At that point in time, it will happen. The Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference is controlled by the equivelent of the SD Board of Regents that have set the football scholarship level at 21. The Rocky Mountain Atheletic Conference has cash poor members who also favor a reduction in scholarships. Its going to take the new D2 membership of 278 this year from 243 in 1993 to figure how the politics of the NCAA works, and once that happens, look out.

I think if you want to compare enrollements, the article says the average in D2 is 3400, and with 10,000 plus at SDSU we dont belong there. I think USD and Augie will recover. I like the idea that Augie is finally getting a coaches show. SDSU needs to rein state these programs for promotion. I think SDSU got a nice bump when we started the Mike Daley show in 1991.

Comment

SDSUFAN,

Don't forget the NSIC and SAC also limit scholarships. If I remember correctly, the last time DII scholarship reductions came up, it was voted on by the institutions. It only failed to pass by six votes. Scholarship reductions in DII will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Comment

Bisonguy:

You are right about NSIC and SAC and maybe others. I mentioned PSAC and RMAC specifically because they appeared to be co-sponoring the last move to reduce scholarships. I dont recall which message board had this letter of support, but I do recall some one posting it to a message board.

As I recall, the reason the Mineral Bowl was revived a few years back was because the NSIC was getting no recognition for playoff selection and what I was told was the NCC members supported this resurrection of the Mineral Bowl,  in exchange for the NSIC dropping a proposal to reduce scholarships.

No question NSIC has been for cuts for a long time, and I suspect there other conferences who will join in once the ball starts rolling. I think in the D2 ranks at the national convention, there are numerous measures passed or defeated by log rolling between various conferences. No doubt its a game.

The bottom line is the more you see of how NCAA rules are made, the more you know about making sausage.

Comment

Working...
        X