Argus Leader Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader Coverage

There is a nice article in the Argus Leader indicating they are going to step up their coverage of SDSU for the coming year as we move to D-I. Sounds good.

Here is the link and part of the story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle1.shtml

Media coverage could see changes
    Mick Garry
    Argus Leader

published: 7/25/2004

The pie has never been easily sliced by local media when it comes to portioning out air time and newsprint for South Dakota's North Central Conference schools.

Unlike media markets in Fargo and Grand Forks, where there's one significant university per city, Sioux Falls TV stations and the Argus Leader have had to cut their college coverage three ways - four, when you add the University of Sioux Falls Cougars, who have been extremely competitive at the NAIA level in football and at the NAIA Division II level in men's basketball.

So what's to happen now that South Dakota State University is starting the process of moving to Division I-AA?

Media folks have different takes on that.

"Given the enormity of the step that SDSU is making - as well as the coverage we've given this step in a lot of different ways already - it puts us in a position where we should take seriously their movement into this new level," said Randell Beck, the Argus Leader's executive editor.

The Argus Leader, which rarely sent reporters on the road for NCC games in the past, will send a reporter and a photographer to SDSU's football opener at U.C.-Davis in California this fall and cover several other road games.

"They're investing all this time and energy to make this transformation," Beck said. "We need to treat them like the Division I program they are becoming."

Re: Argus Leader Coverage

Looks like the Argus is going to be forward thinking on this issue while the TV stations are going to be reactive. Oh well they will see the light.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I am especially impressed with Randell Becks comments.
      I have read most of his columns that are on the Argus website. He apparently is not a South Dakota native and at times gets disgusted with the South Dakota "stuck in the mud attitude."  Randall by and large comes across as a progressive individual which is good for the Argus.  

I once questioned the amount of control by Al Neuharth, USD Grad and owner of Gannett family that includes the Sioux Falls Argus Leader, but dont think Al is too involved and if he is he seems to be staying out day to day operations and policy.

Maybe Sid Bostic should tap Neuhart on the shoulder and ask for a donation. ;D Al has got some spare cash ;D

Lets see what happens.

I cant figure KELO, though, at times they have had good coverage especially when Tom Neiman was the sports guy, but Tom is apparently elsewhere with the Skyforce games, etc.

SDSU needs to come out of the gate with gusto and give the Argus something to tell their readers.

Comment

Beck's comments and the Argus articles were good to read. From the paper's perspective, it makes good sense--they're not doing SDSU a favor, they're just reporting the news. But we all know the more attention given to the program, the better.

The comments from the TV sports reporters showed some shallow thinking. Tell you what, SDSU's move and the way it performs is news...the TV station which doesn't cover the news won't be watched.

Have a little fun with the TV guys: if an advertisder hears specific comments from just 4 or 5 viewers, there wil be a reaction.

Go Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
          Beck's comments and the Argus articles were good to read.  From the paper's perspective, it makes good sense--they're not doing SDSU a favor, they're just reporting the news.  But we all know the more attention given to the program, the better.

The comments from the TV sports reporters showed some shallow thinking.  Tell you what, SDSU's move and the way it performs is news...the TV station which doesn't cover the news won't be watched.  

Have a little fun with the TV guys:  if an advertisder hears specific comments from just 4 or 5 viewers, there wil be a reaction.  

Go Jacks.
          No doubt about seeing it from the newspaper perspective, its why Beck is getting paid. The Argus you have to admit is softening its attitude towards SDSU.
          I dont think we will see anymore articles that contain pictures of weeds growing on an abandoned tennis court nor will we see the rusty barbells that are resting and forgotten in the basement of the Barn. Scrap iron is 40 bucks a ton some one could make a few bucks by salvaging those aged barbells ;D ;D ;D

Comment

The biggest problem with that article is that the completely left out the best sports in the area. KDLT with Mark Ovenden as the lead is clearly the best sportscast in the area. He splits the time between HS & college, with less pro sports because most people get that info from ESPN. Problem is, no one in the area thinks KDLT is a "real" station.

As for KSFY, Thorstensen once said after a State-U basketball game, "Since State won, there are no highlights." Thinking he was joking, I waited to see the highlights. He wasn't joking. I don't think he will ever be objective when it comes to SDSU.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
              The biggest problem with that article is that the completely left out the best sports in the area. KDLT with Mark Ovenden as the lead is clearly the best sportscast in the area. He splits the time between HS & college, with less pro sports because most people get that info from ESPN. Problem is, no one in the area thinks KDLT is a "real" station.

As for KSFY, Thorstensen once said after a State-U basketball game, "Since State won, there are no highlights." Thinking he was joking, I waited to see the highlights. He wasn't joking. I don't think he will ever be objective when it comes to SDSU.
              I agree completely on both counts. Ovendon does a good job and Thorstensen is an idiot. I can't watch KSFY.

Comment

Working...
              X