TITLE IX ISSUES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TITLE IX ISSUES

The Sioux Falls Argus Leader has a story in this mornings paper about the choices SD Universities have made to comply. SDSU received good marks!

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Sundayfeature.shtml

No time to transcribe now!

Re: TITLE IX ISSUES

Yes this was a good article.
    At the website is audios of Dr Fred Oien and one of the USD AD.
    In addition there is a worksheet for each of the state institution that discloses how they will meet the compliance and total dollars and specifically what they will be spent on.

SDSU will add six Full time Employees and the salaries for assistant coaches appear to start at about $45,000 to $48,000. In the past the assistants have started at a salary as low as 27,000 and these are the people have often been the revolving door you might say in terms of coaches.

It my own personal opinion that many of our programs are as strong as the staff leading them. With a better pay scale, we can attract and keep good assistant coaches. Note there will be two assistants in track and field. This will help the new head coach.

The head equestrian coach will start at $70, 000 which is not to bad. With a start up program I would think SDSU could build all sorts of incentives to offer that coach and with good results, the coach could be making much more than $70,000 in a few years.

Comment

Here is my favorite part.

"No institution is making a bigger commitment to gender equity than SDSU. It is adding five coaches and a secretary and building a $2 million facility for a new women's equestrian program. The idea for that addition emerged from SDSU's 1999 review, Oien says. With a roster anticipated at 60 by 2007, the sport helps offset football on the men's side. It also fits in well with SDSU's mission as a land grant university and will be a boost to the regional horse industry, Oien says.

Alden, the consultant, agrees.

"They are absolutely doing the right thing by starting a women's equestrian program. It's an appropriate sport for that institution.""

Comment

I liked when USD's AD refered to their new Senior Women's Administrator as being "1-AA." Will they never stop trying to be like us!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

I noticed that too. I also think someone needs to tell the Argus Sports writer that SDSU is a D-I school. The I-AA classification is only for football. When you refer to the School as a whole it is appropriate to say D-I. No one calls Gonzaga I-AAA (designation that Gonzaga doesn't play football) or Georgetown, Villinova, Yale, or Harvard as I-AA. They are all just D-I. I hope it is an oversite and not a jab at the Jacks.

Comment

Here is a great link that helps explain the whole I-AA classification.

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=44189

Also I have been reading that the NCAA may do away with the tern I-AA all together.

Ronbo posted this over on eGriz.com:

From the lips of an OVC Commissioner during the OVC's Media Days.

Concerning football: "It seems probable that the 1-AA designation for football will be eliminated soon. There will be Division 1 with no designation. The post-season will be the Bowl Championship Series for the larger schools and the Playoff Championship Series for smaller schools. It's a branding issue for the most part, which would finally remove the 1-A and 1-AA designation that some school administrators feel gives their schools a 2nd class label. That could happen by next season."

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewt...?p=38734#38734

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University! ;D

Comment

Working...
            X