AD Oien in some legal troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Oien in some legal troubles

I just saw this in the Argus Leader.  First off, I was shocked the man would do such a thing if true.  Second, he was pretty good at taking time to talk to me about SDSU and its conference moves about two months ago.  

I wish him well.  

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Wednesdayarticle6.shtml

Re: AD Oien in some legal troubles

Bison Kent;

This publicty is unfortunate for SDSU. Its tough on SDSU and its move to D1, but I am confident we will survive. Its hard to comment further until this incident is concluded in the court system.

Comment

I know Dr. Oien has had some family issues with his kids and his wife has been sick. If true, I'm not saying what's alledged is ok however I can't imagine all the pressures on Dr. Oien both personal and professionally. The anti Oien contingent will out in force. We will get through this and the DI March will continue. This movement is bigger than one person. The timing couldn't be worse though.

Comment

If true in all the particulars, then Fred was very stupid, and probably should be fired, regardless of whether or not he's convicted of the offenses he's charged with. Certainly his remaining tenure at SDSU would be forever tainted. The potential impact on the women's athletic programs is horrifying to contemplate.

If it's not true, or wildly exaggerated, or whatever, then, I don't know...we'll see. His effectiveness as an AD might or might not be critically affected by the accusation. President Elliot will have to make the call...it won't be an easy one.

However, the D-I move is an institutional move, not a personal one.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Since Bison Kent choose the name of the thread and its appropriate title, I am going to add my comments here and tell all that the Argus Leader has chosen to keep these legal troubles alive and also front page news.

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Tuesdayarticle4.shtml

SDSU's Oien keeps working while charged
          Chris Solari
          csolari@argusleader.com

published: 2/17/2004

South Dakota State University Athletic Director Fred Oien continues to work full time while he is charged with assaulting his wife, a Board of Regents member said Monday.

Robert "Tad" Perry, executive director of the regents, said Oien has not been reprimanded or placed on administrative leave.

Oien, 54, of Brookings was arrested Jan. 26 and charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple assault and interfering with emergency communication. He is expected to enter a plea at his March 15 preliminary hearing in Brookings County Court.

"His (job) status has not changed," Perry said. "We do not make personnel actions based on allegations and charges. If new information presents itself, we'll act accordingly."

The regents' policy manual states that school presidents can only recommend hiring and termination of employees to the board. Presidents are to determine and present their institution's official positions on such matters to the board.

Perry said the board has final authority over potential disciplinary measures. He would not speculate on what Oien could face if convicted.

Oien also is the head of the university's health, physical education and recreation department.

Cassandra Kaul, a sophomore human development and family studies major at SDSU, thinks Oien should be placed on leave until the case is resolved.

"Honestly, I think if a person is accused of abuse, they shouldn't be working around students or other people until they know for sure that he isn't a threat," she said.

Athletic department sources confirmed last week that Oien told his staff Feb. 5 that he had tried to resign, but the university did not accept his offer.

University President Peggy Miller would not say Monday whether Oien had offered his resignation, citing legal concerns.

"Fred Oien is an outstanding athletic director, and he is the director of athletics at South Dakota State University," Miller said.

Perry said he did not know that Oien had offered to resign.

"I don't think (the offer to resign) would have been appropriate, not that I know there was one," Perry said. "It would not have been appropriate if there had been one."

Eric Erickson, president of the SDSU Students' Association, declined to comment Monday. He also is a member of the student committee that advises the university on nonpersonnel matters involving athletic, intramural and recreational programs.

Oien, a 1972 SDSU alumnus, is free on a personal recognizance bond. The Baltic native has been the university's athletic director since 1990 and part of its athletic department staff since 1979.

Comment

I hope people like Chris Solari are reading this board and maybe I am going to ask him privately why he is being sent out to do an article every other day on a simple assult case charge and why is this front page news?  Why are not all the other simple assults charges given this much publicty.  If Dr. Oien is viewed as a public figure and fair game, then what is the purpose posting these articles day after day?  Could it be that the purpose is to destroy the character of Dr. Oien and eventually get to Dr. Miller, because they have this idea about SDSU going D1?  What part does Al Neuharth play in this matter?  These are questions that are going to be thrown at the editoral staff as I can not for the life of me see why this simple domestic problem is worthy of three articles of sufficent length.  They are longer than what the Argus would permit in a letter to the editor.

Also consider the resignation of Kelly Higgins of USD. Nothing was printed and they said he resigned when in fact he forgot to schedule a fund raisier that featured CBS Sports figure Pat Obrien. Now would that not be news?

Granted all public figures need to appear ethically etc etc, but I really question the newsworthiness of this article printed to day.  Thank goodness Tad Perry told the Argus to take a hike and was not about to be influenced by the pressure of South Dakota's largest newspaper.  

Also what does some young hiefer named Cassandra Kaul  in Family Development know about this?  I dont think Fred is just going to haul off and hit some student because she remotely resemble his wife.   Fred is not Bobby Knight.

Comment

I encouraged everyone on this Board to send a note to Chris Solari. csolari@argusleader.com

Comment

Al Neuharth? How would he have anything to do with this? The fact of the matter is a radio station in Yankton, SD broke the story. It is amazing that this was kept under wraps for over two weeks before it got leaked to someone that actually had the initiative to report it. In any other market, in any other state this would be headline news. So why shouldn't it be in South Dakota? He is a public official that needs to be held accountable for his actions. That is simply what comes with the territory when you hold a job of that stature.

Comment

Jimminy Cricket is Chris Solari. Thats just my guess.

Comment

If it is... I hope he has read some of the pro SDSU D1 comments on this board, and reports them, instead of the negative crap that the Argus insists on writing.

Comment

Buster- I disagree. I don't fault SDSU for changing directions on the finding a conference first statement. It became clear as the school got deeper into this that no conference was going to take us serious until we made a firm gesture or committment that we are going DI. I applaud the administration for making a tough decision early that was going to criticized but was the right move to secure a conference sooner. Don't forget the NCC started to squeeze us about the same time and threatened penalties etc. I finally believe that we needed to stay in step with NDSU as we are stronger as a team in persuing a conference. I also don't mind a certain degree of the negotiations being stealth like. With the media criticizing you at every move why show your cards until you have a story to tell.

Comment

Buster,

I fully understand and appreciate your remark about SDSU's promising to find a conference before making the leap. That took a lot of us by surprise. You go onto to refer to SDSU as being arrogant. Can you give fellow board members some examples to support your conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by Buster

Nobody with any common sense would be against it. But the fact is that the unviersity, like it loves to do, conducted too much in secret and with great arrogance. But it's the arrogance part that really bothers people. And there's plenty of people like that.
                          Buster hasn't had a chance to reply to Alumguys question. In the meantime chew on this:

Arrogance is not always a bad thing. Part of the problem with the S.D. attitude is a tendency to quickly judge those who aspire to improve their standing in life and subsequently leave others behind (like USD, Augie, and the NCC) as arrogant. Instead of looking at the move to DI as a positive step in a future direction they see it as SDSU and the athletic dept thumbing their nose at the rest of "poor little old simple us." This attitude is pervasive and self-perpetuating adn part of what drove me out of the state. I for one am very pleased that someone had the foresight and gall to move forward without conference affiliation or even broad-based support for the move.

SDSU's movement to DI will be a significant component to changing the personality of future South Dakotans. Any negative/risk (there will be plenty, especially early) will be greatly outweighed by the eventual positives/benefits. Just like every decision we make every day, when the benefits outweigh the risks you have to say yes (even if it hurts someone elses feelings, thats okay). Making the right decision is smart, not arrogant. (Just my 2 cents)
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Very well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimminy Cricket
                              Al Neuharth? How would he have anything to do with this? The fact of the matter is a radio station in Yankton, SD broke the story. It is amazing that this was kept under wraps for over two weeks before it got leaked to someone that actually had the initiative to report it. In any other market, in any other state this would be headline news. So why shouldn't it be in South Dakota? He is a public official that needs to be held accountable for his actions. That is simply what comes with the territory when you hold a job of that stature.
                              Jimminy Cricket, as the name suggests, has been under a rock for a very long time. Al Neuharth is a USD alum and also a very wealthy man, who just happens to own the Gannett newspaper system. Who owns the Argus Leader?  None other than Gannet Newsgroup.  Just in case you need an update Jiminy, Rupert Murdock owns Fox News. ;D ;D ;D,'

It was not WNAX who broke the story, but some other lesser known radio station, who is probably part of the Coyote network.

The USD has a big hand in any negative report about SDSU and D1. The personal problems of any individual public or private is not front page news. Dr Oien is charged with a misdeameanor, not a homicide.

In Dr. Oien's case it is an attempt to destroy a person because he had the courage to assist in developing the plan to move to D1.

When the not so brilliant State Senator, Clarence Kooistra of Garretson questioned the newly appointed Board of Regent Carol Pagones about the move to D1, she replied "I doubt the board is going to rescind that(BOR Approval of SDSU going D1) and try to pull the rug out from underneath their feet" she said. "SDSU is not going D1 because of Fred Oien.  Its going because of a whole number of supporters who are leading that. I'm so sure President Miller will reach in and pick up any slack, if there is any slack,and  do a splendid job of doing that. I have all the confidence in the world."

Its amazing when one University has a great  AD with progressive ideas and finds progressive coaches who can implement these ideas, that another institution is so ungodly jealous that a rich alum like Al Neuharth would use his own personal newspaper to destroy a person.

The last two AD at USD, Mr. Neuharth's alma mater have been fired. One of them got the USD into the court room and it was not a law class project, it was a inappropriate firing of coaches which also encumbered the Board of Regents, who also had to pay damages to the fired coaches who sued. Was this front page news? No MORE LIKE BACK PAGE NEWS, RIGHT BEFORE THE CLASSIFIEDS.  
                              The rumor is that USD will have to raise student fees to fund the Athletic department next year.  

Is USD going D1? No they wish to stay D2 and be the Harvard of the Prairie. ;D ;D (A LAUGHING VOICE WOULD BE INSERTED HERE IF AUDIO FEATURES WERE PART OF THIS BOARD.)

Comment

Working...
                              X