The Craig and Mike Show KWSN SIOUX FALLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Craig and Mike Show KWSN SIOUX FALLS

I been listening to the Craig and Mike Show the past few days. On Monday, Mike in reference to SDSU finding a conference offered a  question"  Exactly what does SDSU have to offer to a D1 Conference?"  I responded with an email and got some air time to day. (Tuesday) He did not use my name, but kind of ridiculed me for suggesting that the 58 mile drive to Brookings was not a big expense item and no big deal. Of course that answer was not acceptable. Since I made a head and kester comment, everything I said was ridiculed.

What I been trying to figure out is what is the connection if any between Augustana College and Mike Hendricksen.  This question asked by Mike sounds like some one who doubts the D1 move and does not feel obligated to support it.  Not only that all the D2 stuff seems to have gotten an unusual amount of coverage on the Craig and Mike Show since SDSU announced its decision to go D1..

I appreciate anyone elses comments espeically if you listen via the internet as I do.

Re: The Craig and Mike Show KWSN SIOUX FALLS

These are good questions and I to would like to know more about Mike Henriksen. There was a previous post regarding this some time ago. Here is the link. I will resend the e-mail I sent at that time and see if I get a reply. I'll ask Mike about his college background, where he grew up, etc.. Just curious more than anything.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1083017723
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If said on the air that The Emporer Wore No Clothes reminded him of the Move To D1, then I think my last email to Mike is probably correct. I said the question begged for a negative answer and that is exactly what he is looking for. So much for listening to this show.

Some of the interviews are interesting, but if its a put done SDSU theme, then no thank you.

Comment

Mike went to a small college in Iowa, I believe. I can't remember the name, but he refers to it sometimes on the air. Not sure about Craig Maddock, but he is the one that I believe has the most negative attitude towards the D-1 move. I had previously emailed them on some of their comments and the most common response was to the effect of how could SDSU think they could beat the Huskers in football or Duke in basketball. When the football team had the early losing streak last year, they couldn't stop with the "If Winona could do that to the Jacks, what do think will happen when they play Iowa or Nebraska?" comments.
        I called their show one day during the discussion of the move and they did not have any idea about the potential loss of scholarships in D-2, the number of schools moving into the division that are much smaller, enrollment and athletic budget, than SDSU. When asked why they talk of the NCC as "really a small D-1 conference" but can't see the members being small D-1 schools, they didn't have an answer.
        I guess you can tell I am not a fan of theirs, however I check to see who the guests are, so I can listen to what they say. The hosts have little knowledge beyond the local high school level, and they like it that way.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I suspected the level of intelligents/knowledge about NCAA athletics and more importantly the athletic experience of each of them was quite limited. I have only listened to their show on occasion and was not impressed.

My rebuttal would be to ask what the NCC and division II have to offer SDSU?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

First (since 89 has been absent) let me welcome jack100 to the board as the 155th member.

Next, an observation, it seems that most of those opposed to SDSU's move to DI tend to impress as less than informed/intelligent/lucid/sane (few adjectives that come to mind). Mr. Wiken, Craig and Mike, etc.. have demonstrated some deficiencies in knowledge and intellect. Not that its appropriate to project these traits, I wonder about Sen. Frank and Sen. Clarence as they stand in opposition. Are they of a similar mold?

P.S. is one of the new members, Senator_Frank (member 154) the real deal or just somones moniker. I'm more than a little curious/intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

P.S. is one of the new members, Senator_Frank (member 154) the real deal or just somones moniker.  I'm more than a little curious/intrigued.
              Since Doug Wiken's blog has numerous comments and connections with the Demcratic Party, I would take the Sentator Frank serious. Doug and Senator Frank may be acquaintences or even friends. Who knows.

Hopefully the Senator will offer his views here for which we can help him get right. ;D

Comment

Let me start by saying that I didn't hear the show (out of town on business) in reference.  That being said, as some of you know I have had contact with both Craig and Mike.  Mike is not a supporter of our move to D-I.  I don't think you are going to "talk" him out of his position.  He has very strong feelings about the whole thing.  Mike's kids have gone to (and are still going to) State but I don't know how that effects his opinion.  Bottom line,   Mike is your basic FES guy.  He will come around but only after we prove it (but I bet you he gets press credentials the first time a "Big Name School" comes to town).  He loves the KC Royals and that is quite fitting.  He reminds me of many people I know from Missouri.  Missouri is the "Show Me State", you can't tell someone from MO anything you have to show them. SDSU is going to have to show Mike before he will change his mind.

For what it is worth, I did notice that when you click on the KWSN web site you are greeted by a Big Augie Viking.  : :-/  

http://www.kwsn.com/

Comment

Mike today on his show explained the nature of his question and he said the question was a marketing question. That being said I can except it and move on like he said.  

The more I listen to that show the more inaccuracies show up. They said that Southern U was in Lafayette.  I suggest that the Southern Fans send Mike a email and tell him that Southern is located in Baton Rogue.  

Later on Mick Garry made a comment that alluded to the fact that SDSU men basketball game would have to wait 13 years for a post season tournament.  Apparently he was not covering the Dakota Marker event as the news from the NCAA changing it to 5 years happen about the same time as the ceremony as I recall.

Getting back to Craig and Mike, the reponded email I got from Mike is that they have covered SDSU  thoroughly in the D1 move.  The coverage may be good, but these two really like to take negative stabs at SDSU D1 move  all of the time.

Its interesting that they mentioned that Augie and USD fans expect equal coverage from the Argus Leader to continue. Mike also said that Randell Beck comment in the Argus story was just lip service.  So yes the FES attitude raises its ugly head daily on the show.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                    I been listening to the Craig and Mike Show the past few days. On Monday, Mike in reference to SDSU finding a conference offered a  question"  Exactly what does SDSU have to offer to a D1 Conference?"  I responded with an email and got some air time to day. (Tuesday) He did not use my name, but kind of ridiculed me for suggesting that the 58 mile drive to Brookings was not a big expense item and no big deal.
                    SDSUFAN,

You are right that the 58 mile drive is no big deal.  The 45 min bus ride is about what the University of Kansas Jayhawks make when they fly out of Kansas City, it dosen't seem to have hurt their program.  :  Not to mention Kansas State over in Manhattan.  I am sure if we all try we could name dozens of teams that take much longer rides after they land.

Go State!  8)

P.S. when I lived in Olathe, KS (suburb of KC) it used to take me 50 min. to drive home from the Airport.  Small town thinking by Mike.  :-[ I wonder if he has ever lived in a City bigger then Sioux Falls?

Comment

I caught part of the show today when Mike was blowing off steam. Didn't hear the first part, but knew right away that it was someone from this board that had called him on something.

I'm not sure if anyone else caught it, but after a few seconds, SDSU was applying not only for the BSC or MidCon, but for the Big East, the ACC, the SEC, the Big 10 and the Big 12 and how could SDSU have anything to offer those conferences.

The problem they won't address is how they approach the coverage they have given SDSU. They have given a lot of coverage to the issue, but all that I heard came from the same view point; i.e. that is SDSU is so stupid to think they can do this.

They aren't worth the time to worry about. They aren't held in that high of regard in the area, except for high school sports. I do give them credit for their coverage and knowledge of the local high school sports scene, however covering that is really limited to knowing who are the coaches and stars. The issue of budgeting, facilities, etc. They know you need those type of things, but don't try to understand how they are related to each other and success on the field.

As for them getting their press passes, there is no doubt they will take them.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Hi folks! Some very interesting comments on here, and very few of them are correct. Yes, I made the "Emporer's New Clothes" statement.

The poster that talks about travel costs from Sioux Falls to Brookings says that even by bus at 2 dollars a gallon for gas, the total cost would be about 10 dollars each way. Have you called a charter bus company lately?

As for our "perspective" on the move, what would you like us to do? Was it ok to have Fred Oien on the air the 15 times or so he has joined us? How about Stig, Nagy, AJ, Nancy, the President, and the others who have been on talking about their teams and the move numerous times? How about the time we broadcast their press conferences live when they made the move to D1? Was it alright with you to have Mark Eckland on to talk about the fact he needed to step down because of health reasons? Does it meet your approval when we have had Matt Einspahr on to promote the Stan Marshal fundraiser or Scott Connot or Jeff Wagemeister on to talk about their experience in mini-camps? We have broadcast live from the campus several times and will be there again for media day August 16th. I think it is the "perspective" of people that don't listen at all or hear what they want to hear that needs to change.

As for being informed about the other issues involved with the move, we have covered that at length also. We have had the Commisioners from the Big Sky and the MidContinent conferences on the air, as well as the AD at Northern Iowa and Northern Colorado talking about what SDSU can expect. We know that the issue of limitation of football scholarships is a complete non-issue that has been voted down every time it has enough votes to even be brought to the agenda at the convention. We have looked at this, and let our listeners look at it, from every angle. We don't have answers. We go to people that have been thru this before.

There are a lot of quotes on this board that are wrong. Let me correct a couple. When I went on my tangent last week concerning my original question, I brought up the ACC, the Big East and other conferences for one reason. I was making a point. I was not suggesting that SDSU was going into one of those conferences. That leads me back to the question that got this discussion started.

What does SDSU bring to a conference? There is not one conference out there at any level that is looking to help out a school. They are looking for a school to help them. What does that school bring? A good regional fit? A media market? It is different for every conference.

One more thing before you trash me. Do not trash the North Central Conference or the Commisioner. The conference was great for several years and State was proud to be in it. If schools, or individuals, want to leave the situation they are in, fine. But move TOWARDS something with a positive attitude, not AWAY from something while you put it down.

One other thing. Every single email I have gotten comes from people that have 2 things in common. They are State fans, and they now live out of state.

Oh, and I am keeping my press pass, the same one that I have always had.

Comment

Welcome to the board Mike. I am hopeful that a meaningful and civilized dialogue will follow. I appreciate your explanations and the coverage you have given SDSU and the move to DI.

Have you asked Fred Oien or any of the other SDSU administrators your question about the move to DI? I would be interested to hear their response. Pretty good idea for a segment on your show, if I do say so myself. Maybe you should give Fred a call.

Next point, if someone wants to "put down" the NCC they are entitled to do so. SDSU has "put up" with a lot of unfound criticism and ridicule from resident NCC members and their fans regarding the move away from the NCC. There should be nothing but support for the move and I've heard, read, and seen more opinions in opposition. Fortunately, the tide is turning. If someone wants to make a personal statement about the NCC and their struggles to regain their footing, they are entitled to do so.

Question for you, Mike. What does DII or the NCC have to offer SDSU? I'm not talking about what has been provided by membership in what was an elite DII conference. I am asking what DII and the NCC were willing to or could do to further the development of SDSU as an institution. I think DII is headed in the wrong direction and it was time to move away.

I'll try to answer your question but I am a bit biased. I personally believe we have a number of attributes that would be desirable to a DI conference. The first and foremost being added members, increased home games, and garunteed schedules. I also believe we provide the opportunity for a conference to expand its boarders and reach an audience, recruiting area (students and athletes), and possible revenue source not currenlty tapped. If the media in Sioux Falls will follow the Argus Leader's lead (no pun intended) and invest in promoting the introduction of a DI university to the state, then a media market will quickly develop. A market which I think can still sustain the smaller and lower level universities in the state.

Not great observations and not backed by research or references but just that, my observations. To be honest I haven't thought much about what we can offer a conference and much more about what a conference would mean to us.

Comment

Great to have you on board, Mike! If you keep an
                            Open mind, I am sure you will learn a lot, here! ;D

Just a small warning for you, though. It is true that not
                            All the members on this board want to be officially
                            Considered (moderates). (I am probably the only one). I
                            Know that is hard to believe. So keep your head down,
                            Some can go a little overboard, at times! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Mike H asks a very good question as to what SDSU would bring to a conference. My answer: the potential for money.

Conferences receive much needed revenue based on how members fare in national tournaments. Perhaps I'm a little on the Pollyanna side but I do believe that within 5 to 8 years SDSU will be the NCAA's big dance. When that happens, the money follows.

SDSU will remain a strong basketball school. For a few years we will take our lumps, then we will win and win again. When we win, a conference will win.

So, Mike, the answer is money. Ain't that a surprise.

Comment

Working...
                              X