Question From A SCSU Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question From A SCSU Fan

First of all, I wish SDSU the best in the move to DI sports and I have a question.  What is your guess on the percentage of SDSU fans against the move to DI?

In St Cloud lately there have been several people who wished that the whole NCC could have made the move.  
    I know ver little about what an athletic bedget needs to be so maybe somebody could enlighten me on the subject.  I believe SCSU has a budget of 4.5 million and MSU is over 5 million.  I thinks both universities could rally support for such a move.  Traditionally both universities have had very weak fundraising departments.  Thank goodness SCSU has the local business community behind it.  And we just hired John Lewis (former UM standout)  as a new fundraiser.  I don't know what that means though.

http://condor.stcloudstate.edu/~sports/

Time will tell.  I just really like college sports in general.  If it is DI, DII, DIII, or NAIA.  They play for the name on the front of their jersey rather than the name on the back.

Re: Question From A SCSU Fan

SCSU,

Welcome to the board.  Not sure on the % for or against, at this point I am not sure if it matters.  We are now a D-I school and hopefully we will all come together for the betterment of SDSU and South Dakota.  

As for budgets.  According to the Carr report a budget in the range of $4.7 million to 5.9 is needed to make the jump (without hockey).  That being said it is my understanding that in both Minnesota and Nebraska the issue isn't so much money as it is the fact that the Gophers and Huskers will politically not allow SCSU, MSU-M, or UNO to move up.  It would have been great if the whole NCC had moved up together, SDSU tried very hard to push this very issue.  That time has sadly passed.  Good luck to the Huskies in their upcoming season, thanks for the memories.

Go SDSU!  ;D

Comment

Did South Dakota State release the results of their marketing survey?

I know when NDSU did their survey two years ago, it looked like just over 50% were strongly in favor of the move. Since then, I think support has grown (we'll see by how much when they release the figures for season ticket sales and Team Maker membership dues).

I kind of think SDSU always seemed more interested in a DI NCC than NDSU. One reason was that many NDSU fans were worried that the hockey schools would say, "We'll vote to go DI as long as we can establish a conference limit for football scholarships at 40," or something like that. And the ones who were in favor of it would have serious second thoughts if that were the price for getting the rest of the NCC on board.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
        Did South Dakota State release the results of their marketing survey?

I know when NDSU did their survey two years ago, it looked like just over 50% were strongly in favor of the move. Since then, I think support has grown (we'll see by how much when they release the figures for season ticket sales and Team Maker membership dues).

I kind of think SDSU always seemed more interested in a DI NCC than NDSU. One reason was that many NDSU fans were worried that the hockey schools would say, "We'll vote to go DI as long as we can establish a conference limit for football scholarships at 40," or something like that. And the ones who were in favor of it would have serious second thoughts if that were the price for getting the rest of the NCC on board.

Yes the summary of the marketing report is posted at the offical website:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...SL_Summary.pdf

I think the report does indicate support by the the samples chosen.  I sure there a number of opponents of D1 who would be quick to point out that they were not part of the sample.

The marketing studies at NDSU and SDSU were done by two different companies and I dont know what that will tell us, but that may say something.

Comment

Working...
        X