SDSU gathering at Twins game this Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU gathering at Twins game this Saturday

Any of you planning to attend the gathering at the Twins game this Saturday? Its a 12:20 game against the A's. Does anyone have more info regarding the event? I might crash the party if I can finish my work at the clinic in time. I would be curious to know the section where the SDSU fans have seats and if they will be a gathering afterwards. I would appreciate any info. Thanks.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: SDSU gathering at Twins game this Saturday

My wife and I are going.

Pregame gathering at Gate D at the Metrodome at 10:30am. Supposed to be able to meet Tony Oliva and the Twins mascot. Upper Club seating for the game (not sure what section). Haven't heard of any post-game gathering taking place at this point.

Comment

Perhaps I will see you at Gate D. I have tickets in section 117 and if I can swing I'll either bring the family or just travel myself.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll_Guy
        My wife and I are going.

Pregame gathering at Gate D at the Metrodome at 10:30am.  Supposed to be able to meet Tony Oliva and the Twins mascot.  Upper Club seating for the game (not sure what section).  Haven't heard of any post-game gathering taking place at this point.  
        Sounds like we will be making the trip north for the Twins game. CatchEm, did you purchase any tickets for the gathering at Gate D or is it an informal event? I don't want to drop in if they have required an RSVP. Let me know if you can. Look forward to seeing some Jackrabbit gear.

Comment

jackmd,

I had to send an RSVP and a check for tickets. My guess is that it will still be a pretty informal gathering at Gate D. The more SDSU alums the merrier.

The RSVP was sent to someone here in the Cities. But I've been told that Jim Speirs from the Alumni Association will be there. You may want to drop him an email to get more details.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/AlumniFounda...eirs/Index.cfm

Comment

How was the gathering up in the Cities?  As I said before on a different thread the Kansas City Alumni event on Friday was fantastic! ;D

Go State!  

Comment

I arrived late for the gathering so I didn't get to see many of the participants. Great game, however, Hudson vs Santana and Joe Nathan closes the door. Clutch hitting by Tori and Stewart. Too bad the dome is so lame.

I did visit with Jim Speirs (newest member of alumni dept) and he mentioned some glaring discrepecies between NDSU and SDSU's alumni associations. Apparently, NDSU has a staff of 15 while SDSU only has VJ smith and 3 assistants. This presents a significant problem. Chris Solari has asked several great questions about what SDSU is doing to reach out to younger alumni who have moved out of state and may be somewhat unaware of the impact the move to DI will have on SDSU and SD. Do any of you have suggestions/solutions to the staffing/funding disadvantage faced by our alumnia association? (other than a gigantic donation by 89rabbit, just kidding )

I believe VJ and the crew do a great job with what they have, but the problem is really what they don't have. I would like to try to increase the activity of alumni is southeast MN, any volunteers in other parts of the country?

Comment

Jackmd:
                I am glad you got to meet Jim Speirs as I did at the Golf Outing in Volga.  Though a very recent grad, he is a hard working guy and anxious to visit with any alum from SDSU.  These are the kind of guys we need on the staff at SDSU. We lost a very good staff person, Ryan Howlett to the Tom Daschle campaign. (Not being Political, but stating facts.)  Ryan also did a good job so finding these type of people and keeping them is a challenge.

I dont know if the Foundation and Alumni Assoication are two different entities at NDSU or not.  At UND from their website, I believe they are one entity.  If NDSU has them separate, then yes we got a challenge ahead of us even in the alumni association.

I do share yours and VJ Smiths concerns about the small staff.  I think its very important for SDSU to have an excellent staff that can work with alums all over the country, as that is becoming more and more important.

I am tooting my horn here, but I did start an endowment to benefit the SDSU alumni Association for events and items that would be directed to out of state alumni.  I started it through the Foundadtions acorn plan where you draw up an agreement and the foundation puts your gifts into this endowment and you can start out with one gift of 500 bucks.  The earnings are added to your contributions until the endowment reaches 10 thousand dollars. After that point the earnings would be used to support the alumni association and purposes that  I outlined in the written agreement.
                My endowment is between 12 and 13k right now but it will add maybe 500 dollars per year to the Alumni Association budget and will allow them to do things like the Twins game and social get togethers.  The nice thing about the Alumni Assoication events is that they are purely social, and no staff member is running around with a pledge card or a arm twisting device. ;D. Their purpose is to keep every one connected to SDSU and let you know what is going on the home front.  

I got mine fully endowed by donating some shares of stock in this tax year. I retired at the beginning of this year and was paid annual leave money that is taxable.
                I  needed a good deduction to offset and get a refund on what was all ready deducted from the final annual leave check.  So this worked good for me.  Everyone else has different needs and priorities so going my way is not what I am suggesting. I hoping maybe as few as 10 or 15 others SDSU alums are influenced and will do something similar to help the Alumni Association.

Comment

Working...
                X