X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sky meeting

Here is the Press Release from the meetings

http://www.bigskyconf.com/article.asp?articleid=58932

Expansion was the topic of discussion in a meeting of the Big Sky Conference Presidents Council held Monday in Salt Lake City. The council covered a range of issues including developing a set of expansion criteria and formalizing the expansion process. The Presidents Council discussed adding between one and three schools or remaining at the current eight-team makeup.

The Presidents Council moved to proceed with the expansion process by first accepting official letters of interest from those institutions that desire membership. Institutions that become possible expansion candidates will then be evaluated using a set of criteria approved by the Presidents Council. Some of the established criteria will include academic quality, athletic competitiveness, commitment to gender equity, commitment to student-athlete success and geography with regards to cost of travel and travel time.

Following the evaluation period a committee will be put together to visit the campuses of expansion candidates in the spring of 2005. The traveling committee will be comprised of at least one president, one athletic director and one faculty athletic representative from the Big Sky along with Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton. A final decision regarding expansion is expected to come in late spring of 2005.

The meeting was chaired by Weber State University President Dr. F. Ann Millner, the Chair of the Presidents Council, with all seven other Big Sky Presidents in attendance. Due to a flight cancelation, Montana State University President Dr. Geoffrey Gamble participated via speakerphone.

The Big Sky Conference is currently made up of eight institutions over seven states - Eastern Washington University, Idaho State University, the University of Montana, Montana State University, Northern Arizona University, Portland State University, Sacramento State and Weber State University. In 2004-05 the Big Sky will be entering the fourth year of its current membership.
    Go State! Go State!

Re: Big Sky meeting

As I stated in a previous post, the best we could hope for from this meeting is continued consideration. Sounds like we will get that. I look forward to the campus visit in the coming months. What an exciting time for SDSU!! First year of the move up to DI and we are getting serious consideration from 2 respected mid-level conferences.

Makes you realize the foresight that must have been in place many years ago when the funds were allocated and adjustments made to support 20 sports and comply with Title IX laws. It only makes me realize even more just how much we have outgrown DII, or in contrast, just how much DII has retracted.

All-in-all this is good news. Let the games begin.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: Big Sky meeting

No question, today's meeting is very encouraging and I suspect SDSU is working on this letter and will have it sent off very soon.

One of the things that I find ironic and out of respect to the MSU fans who might be reading this board, I dont want to say it was humorous. This little blurb in the press release caught my eye:

"The meeting was chaired by Weber State University President Dr. F. Ann Millner, the Chair of the Presidents Council, with all seven other Big Sky Presidents in attendance. Due to a flight cancelation, Montana State University President Dr. Geoffrey Gamble participated via speakerphone. "

I really believe the BSC people have often had inconveniences in travel, and maybe Fargo and Brookings are not such hard places to get to after all. ;D

Comment

Working...
      X