Brookings to get new airline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookings to get new airline

I read in wed. Register that Brookings will soon be getting a different Airline.  The DOT has approved a switch from Great Lakes Airline flying as United Express from Minneapolis to Air Midwest, doing business as Mesa Airlines.  Looks like Mesa has deals with America West, United, and US Airways.  They will be flying from Brookings to Omaha.  This could be good news for folks flying to and from Jacks games as Omaha is a much cheaper Airport then Minneapolis.  The paper did not say when the switch will happen and Sioux Falls may still be a guys best bet, but it is always good to have choices.

Here is a link to Mesa Air Group:

http://www.mesa-air.com/default.asp

Re: Brookings to get new airline

Looks like Mesa is about ready to go.  This could be good news for teams and fans that want to fly into Brookings.  Here are highlights from the Argus story.

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Mondayarticle3.shtml

Airports to offer Omaha flights
    Staff and wire reports

published: 8/9/2004

Mesa Air Group will serve Huron, Brookings

Twice-daily flights from Huron and Brookings to Omaha will begin Sept. 1, offering eastern South Dakotans a gateway to fly almost anywhere in the country.

"We're getting calls from all over eastern South Dakota about this," said Huron airport manager Larry Cooper. "Omaha is an extremely popular place to fly out of."

Mesa Air Group is replacing Great Lakes Aviation, which has operated Huron-to-Minneapolis flights for 10 years.

Cooper said increased competition, long connection layovers and the high costs of outbound Minneapolis flights led to the switch.

The switch to Omaha will save passengers $100 to $200 per ticket, he estimated.

Mesa's flights will be timed to meet outbound connections in Omaha, allowing residents to fly out in the morning, conduct business and return the same day. Under the old arrangement, Cooper said, passengers on morning flights from Huron often missed morning departures from Minneapolis.  .  .  .

Phoenix-based Mesa carried more than a million passengers during July  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Comment

See Omaha is not such a bad thing after all.

Mavericks #1

Comment

I have nothing against Eppley Air Facility in Omaha.
        I have flown out of their many times.  Plenty of parking and the terminal is very quiet at times and you really dont have a crowd unless three or four airlines have flights wi thin a given hour.  This is the best thing that has happen to Brookings in some time. I counted a number of SD plates in the parking areas at Eppley, so this flight will save on gas and I-29 for those in the Brookings Area who fly out of Omaha. ;D

Comment

Working...
        X