Props to WYOBISONMAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props to WYOBISONMAN

I have now heard from 2 friends regarding WYbison's comments on the Craig and Mike show.  He has enlightened a number of individuals regarding the move to DI.

Now, let me just add this, each individual stated that it seemed like Craig and Mike knew little about the move to DI and the possible ramifications and that WYbison really put things into perspective.  These people felt that Craig and Mike had previously had little positive to say about the move and that WYbison was the first to put a truly positive light on the move.  I won't say much more except that this seems to be a recurring theme.  Perhaps our intervention will prove more valuable than we anticipated.  I know the comments by WYbison had an affect on the individuals I spoke to and I suspect others as well.  

We need to continue to expose the lay person to the positives of this move.  I'm afraid that many individuals (Craig and Mike included) have spun the negatives to a greater degree.  Lets continue to get the word out.  Please let people know about websites like this one and Bisonville as well as any others where information can be obtained.  Despite the negative sentiment I assure you we can overcome.  (maybe even Mike will see the light)
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Props to WYOBISONMAN

jackmd: Thanks so much for letting me know how much I do not know! Jacks fans think that I don't have the information I need? Wow! THERE is some news.

Let me take a moment and explain something. I ask questions for a living. A large percentage of the time I already know the answer to the question. That is known as being prepared. It also reflects on the way we prefer to do our show. What is more interesting to you as a listener? Listening to a guest that is involved in a sport or activity talk about what they know and experience, or listening to us talk about what we know or experience? When I talk on the radio half of you guys do not believe what I am saying anyway because you already have your mind made up about what my alledged prejudices are. Heck, I get mail about what I think from people that don't even LISTEN to the show, or worse yet, only hear what they think they hear!

I got a call on the air once from a guy who was traveling to a State game from somewhere down south and was calling in favor of the move to D1 when that discussion was first going on. I got hammered by folks in this area as to why I did not challenge the guy with the facts that I knew, or ask why a guy from out of state would think it was important to have input into something that did not have anything to do with his tax base, and several other comments. I told them that is not my job. My job is to bring on guests or callers and hear what they have to say. Can I share my thoughts? Sure. But that is not what drives the show.

To say some guy from Wyoming that called in following an interview is the first to put a positive light on the move is just plain wrong. We have covered this for 2 years now, and to discredit the other callers that were for the move, not to mention the coaches and administration officials we have had on the air, is a real dis-service to them. Just because you are late to the dance does not mean there are nothing but ugly girls there. It just means the pretty ones were already taken before you showed up.

As for judging an interview that you did not listen to, let me ask you this. My uncle has some back pain. Is it a bad disc or a tumor? You would never diagnose something without first hand knowledge, would you? Using second or third hand information is not a good way to proceed with anything.

Being from the land of Ray Antonen, I thought you would know better.

By the way, you can take back that nomination about what a great addition I have been to this board.

Comment

Another excellent reply. I would not expect anything less. My friends did mention that it seemed like you guys were holding back some knowledge as you just explained. Thanks for the clarity. No hard feelings (okay just a few, helps keep things honest). I look forward to criticizing your show in the future. Who knows, maybe I'll even hear it myself one of these days.

P.S. Tell your uncle to stay away from the chiropracter, thats his problem.

As a child Ray was my neighbor and his son Rusty (big SDSU supporter in favor of the DI move) lives right next to my parents now. Mike_H you are welcome in Lake Norden anytime. Come check out the amateur baseball hall of fame. I'll put you up at the homestead and take you out on the town. We could have a hell of a good time. Hunting season is just around the corner, open invite. Let me know.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

jackmd: Thanks for the invite! I have been to Norden several times, and love that town. We actually stole some ideas from the ballparks in town to incorporate into Rickeman Field here in Dells. Specifically, we are now putting up a playground down the rightfield line. I would also love to someday build a park similar to Ray Antonen field. What a treat that has to be for kids to play on! I have taken my whole family, and now several friends, to the Hall of Fame. You guys should be very proud, and it just keeps getting better.

Last summer my wife and I did a research project on athletic facilities that were built in South Dakota by the WPA. There is no such facility in Norden, but I stopped thru there again just because I was close by and had a camera with me to take some pictures of the ballfields. While I was there, I introduced myself to the guy who was taking care of the field. It was Ryan Tulson. I had never met him, but had seen him play ball quite a few times. A very nice kid. He did ask me if I was "that radio guy", and I am not sure he ever did figure out what a radio guy from Sioux Falls was doing with a camera at a ballfield in Lake Norden! It was nice to see him have a good game the other day in the opening round of the state am. Paul Raasch is a buddy of mine, and as always he was the starting pitcher and clean-up hitter for the Lakers. And one of the greatest left-handed shortstops in captivity, Mick Hoglund, is also a great friend of mine. I was really sorry to see him decide not to play anymore ball this year. I think it was hard on him, but he helped coach his son's team and hung out at the golf course instead. In my mind, he is one of the top 10 amatuer players ever in the state. I also like him because he is a Detroit Lions fan. There are not many of us in this part of the world. Heck, there aren't that many of them in Detroit!

As for going out on the town, I know that won't take long, but there are a couple of fine establishments we can hit, and then call it a night by getting some ice cream at the convinience store! I'll pass for now, but I will take a rain check. And thanks for understanding some of my ranting and frustration.

The media has done a great job of confusing people when it comes to facts verses opinion. Folks like Rush, O'Reilly, and Franken pass off one for the other and no one knows which is which anymore. The guy from Wyoming was a great caller, but it was his opinion, not fact. It may become fact, but we will have to wait and see. In the meantime I hope people will try to keep clear in their heads what is opinion and what is fact.
        Take care, and enjoy the weekend!

Comment

MIke_H, I have been shot down on this site for the past year bc I have had the audacity to question sdsu's move to d1 based on my experience of living thru umkc's unsuccessful move to d1 and uno's disinterest in going that route for many reasons. Been called stupid and many other names on this board. The 20 or so fanatics seem to think that there will be a few bumps a long the way before long time sucess hits. It is good to know that there are people up there who do have questions about the move. When you get on this site it is certainly a case of "tyranny of the minority" when you have an alternative opinion. I have always suspected that this group was just a very loud minority. I hope sdsu gets into the big sky and has some success bc it would be fun to go to some games in that league but I would bet against it. Hopefully I will still be alive in 10 years or so when the real evidence of whether the move was a success or not will be in. For now it is anybody's guess despite all the hyperbole on this site.
          PS - I am a huge UNO fan and a pretty big Creighton and Husker fan so I have a definite bias.
          Great comments.
          By the way what station are you on and can I get it on the internet from Omaha. I would be interested in listening if it were avail.

Comment

bigjake,

Before you go thinking that Mike_H is your soul mate you better re-read his post.  The difference between Mike_H and you is he is interested in facts, you have never been.  You don't provide any and you don't listen to those that are provided for you.  

So if you mean by "shot down", that we have asked you to provide proof of your wild assertions then I guess we have.  Luckily you have provided me with a great example.  Your famous UMKC comparison.  By repeating it over and over, I believe that you think it makes it applicable.  I think this is an example of what Mike was talking about in his last paragrahph.   I have asked you repeatedly to provide the logic behind comparing a school that is a metro campus, 5th best supported in their state (behind Missouri, St. Louis University, Southwest Missouri State, and SE Missouri St.), and a school that never had success at the D-II level (UMKC) to a school that is a Flagship University with statewide appeal, that enjoys a tremendous amount of support (see NCAA leading attendence in '96, '97, '98, '00, '02,'04), and has been very successful at the D-II level - 1 National Championship, 1 Runner-up, 24 NCAA tourney appearances - 3rd most all time (SDSU).  You have thus far failed to do so.  How are you comparing apples to apples?  Why should we listen?

The other big difference between Mike_H and yourself is that although Mike may not be a huge supporter (perhaps even someone who thinks SDSU is making a mistake), he askes reasonable questions and waits for the answear.  He makes statements and is not affraid to back them up.  Most importantly he does not come on this board simply to bash the Rabbit faithful.  I for one do not think that you have found a kindred spirt in Mike.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

My main assertions with umkc versus sdsu were these
              1.  UMKC has an incredible recruiting advantage being in a thriving metropolitan area that is sympathetic and attractive to the minority athlete that most rural universities don't have - including sdsu
              2.  UMKC is in a city that is very attractive for conference affiliation.  That is why they weren't an independent very long at all.  You fly right on into an affordable airport with many discount airlines and drive 25 minutes to the campus.  FAr different with sdsu. Also,  I don't think there is one reasonably high end full service hotel in brookings that a big time d1 team would want to headquarter in.
              3.  While UMKC doesn't have that many fans they do have some boosters in kc with some deep pockets and are able to fund a program without a lot of problems.  I tend to doubt there are many deep pocketed sdsu boosters around sdsu but we shall see.

My main point which is legitmate is that umkc has all these advantages over schools like sdsu and yet they have struggled mightily over 20 years.
              I know they don't play fb and I know they aren't the flagship univ of the state and they aren't that similar demographically but on the main point they are very similar - they tried to achieve d1 success and like most recent d1 entries they have struggled. There are exceptions and maybe you will be another one but I am betting against it. We will know in about 10 years.  But to just dismiss any correllation just seems to be closing your eyes to the reality of  moving to d1.
              By the way UMKC was never D2 but went from NAIA to d1.  They actually had some nice success in the 70's and early 80's  under darrel corwin.   Some of their games against Rockhurst were incredibly exciting and intense games. They have gotten a really poor return on the millions of dollars spent on the move over the past 2 decades. Maybe things will be an overwhelming success at sdsu - I tend to think not. I will be following the situation and attending games there especially if you catch onto the bsc. I know enough about the mid cont. to not be all that interested.

Comment

See, was that so hard?   Ok, so UMKC was never a D-II team, even less of a reason to compare them to SDSU. As a NAIA team, according to the UMKC web site, in 17 seasons from 1968-1986 the Roos NAIA record was 275-208 a winning % of .569.

My point with UMKC has always been that UMKC is bad at basketeball because UMKC is bad at basketball (If you choose to define their efforts as bad).  They have a history of it.  I applaud what they are trying to do now and wish them the best of luck.  That being said, so different are the circumstances that each University exists in, that a comparison is almost laughable.  

So if it is your opinion that SDSU will not be successful at D-I because UMKC has not been, so be it.  I guess we will have to wait and see.  My opinion is that one has nothing to do with the other.

As far as urban kids not willing to go to more rural Universities.  SDSU signed  two players from Kansas City, KS just this year.  How do you explain K-State or Nebraska being successful?  What about Gonzaga, or Eastern Washington?  That is a silly argument in my mind.

To take it to the next level, shouldn't all Mid-Western Universities just quite playing. Shouldn't The final four always come down to say Manhattan vs Chicago St. and UCLA vs Houston. That's not to say that location doesn't play a factor in recruiting but is only one of many.

Kansas City is a nice sized media market but as you know UMKC can not deliver it.  Most folks who live her are Kansas, Missouri or Kansas State fans.  You also know that it is a good 45 min to an hour from the Airport to the campus if traffic is light.

Finally I know that you know about our donors.  Just this past school year we had one give $2 million plus and another, Sid Bostic (who is heading up our fund raising drive) give $1 million.  Sid has reported that he expects between $9-10 million this first year of our drive that is scheduled to last 5 years and raise $20 million.  
                This is old news and you know it.  

I am glad that you have interest in SDSU games, if we get into the Big Sky, and it will be even easier for you to get to Brookings, now the Mesa Airlines is about to start service between Omaha and Brookings.  Hope to see you at Hale Arena this year or at Frost after we get into the Big Sky.  Best of luck to you and your UNO Mavericks, Creighton Blue Jays, Nebraska Cornhuskers and UMKC Kangaroos.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                  jackmd: Thanks for the invite! I have been to Norden several times, and love that town. We actually stole some ideas from the ballparks in town to incorporate into Rickeman Field here in Dells. Specifically, we are now putting up a playground down the rightfield line. I would also love to someday build a park similar to Ray Antonen field. What a treat that has to be for kids to play on! I have taken my whole family, and now several friends, to the Hall of Fame. You guys should be very proud, and it just keeps getting better.

Last summer my wife and I did a research project on athletic facilities that were built in South Dakota by the WPA. There is no such facility in Norden, but I stopped thru there again just because I was close by and had a camera with me to take some pictures of the ballfields. While I was there, I introduced myself to the guy who was taking care of the field. It was Ryan Tulson. I had never met him, but had seen him play ball quite a few times. A very nice kid. He did ask me if I was "that radio guy", and I am not sure he ever did figure out what a radio guy from Sioux Falls was doing with a camera at a ballfield in Lake Norden! It was nice to see him have a good game the other day in the opening round of the state am. Paul Raasch is a buddy of mine, and as always he was the starting pitcher and clean-up hitter for the Lakers. And one of the greatest left-handed shortstops in captivity, Mick Hoglund, is also a great friend of mine. I was really sorry to see him decide not to play anymore ball this year. I think it was hard on him, but he helped coach his son's team and hung out at the golf course instead. In my mind, he is one of the top 10 amatuer players ever in the state.
                  We're way off topic now, but as I end my night a loser in the monthly 7-card Texas hold'em group I matriculate with I will say this. Mick Hoglund may be the most influential sports figure I experienced as a young man. I am reminded by my grandparents of my own desires to be like "Mickey" when I was younger (I date myself at this time). I cannot think of a better person to model oneself after. He is truly a unique person and someone I will always respect.

I apologize for taking things so off topic but I must say it has helped me understand Mike_H and gain even some respect for him. As for bigjake, show me something other than envy, distrust and pettiness. Your blowhard attitude is wearing thin.

That said, I still appreciate a guy like Wybison, we need to continue to support this move, even to the extreme.

Comment

As I was listening to WyoBisonMan calling KWSN and speaking to Craig and Mike, I was impressed with both of what Wyo said and how Craig and Mike received his comments. They seem to make a good impressions on listerner and host. But Mike and his cohost Craig, probably talk to more people about the BSC thing than what they may want to indicate during their show.

I beginning to see Mikes point of view in that they have covered this D1 issue for over two years and they did a good job covering it, even though I did not know about the show. The more I listen to their program over the internet, I have begin realize that they are not Steve Imming, nor are they the voice of SDSU. SDSU is one of many institutions and minor pro teams that make up their daily show. They have to cover all within their listening area and they have Augie and USD fans. So I think most of the what appears to SDSU fans as negative are really kind of red meat comments for the USD and Augie listeners. They are in a business and listernship is the name of the game.

So I can see its hard for them to take a pro-SDSU position on moving to D1 consistently. There is no question that certain risks lie ahead of SDSU. Maybe its better to discuss the negatives now and be told "I told you so" either by USD fans if the move fails, or by SDSU fans if the move suceeds which I think it will.

I think a local sports show like this excellant, and I hope to be able to listen in Monday when cover media day at SDSU. We are more fortunate than Augie since their media day falls on a afternoon Canarie game. ;D

Comment

When I come into to kc for my job and often times either attend a umkc or rockhurst game it doesn't take 45-60 minutes to get from the airport to the campus. I have never timed it but I think I get there in about 30 minute in non rush hour traffic going from29-35-paseo bridge and up to rockhurst. Maybe I am so numb from the drive I am not paying attn but it doesn't seem that long
                      Also, I can see your comparison to ksu bc they are a rural school but gonzaga and lincoln are in cities of about 250k which have airports that discount airlines fly into, full service hotels, a real minority middle class, and are right in the city. Even E Washington is only about 15 minutes from Spokane so they can't be considered a true rural school like brookings. So while there probably are many rural schools that are successful in d1 those 3 are not that similar to brookings although I suspect your admin is trying to make the case they are. Now if I am wrong and you get accepted to the bsc or mid cont I will get back on this site and admit it. And I will admit it again if you get accepted and have a winning record in those leagues. So far all we have now is a lot of talk and hyperbole. WE shall see.

Comment

Just one minor point to correct, bigjake, Lincoln is not served by any discount airlines. In fact, as of Sept. 7 when American pulls out of Lincoln and leaves us with just United and Northworst, Sioux Falls will have (it probably already has) far better air service than Lincoln. Omaha has a couple of discount carriers and is courting others. If traffic is OK, I can get from my house in Lincoln to the Omaha airport in a little over an hour. That's comparable, or a little longer, than it takes to get from the SF airport to Brookings.

I think it is an interesting comparison Lincoln/Omaha to Brookings/Sioux Falls. Without doing the math, I'd guess the two areas are fairly proportionately comparable. Anyone who's driven from Lincoln to Omaha on I-80 on a home football Saturday morning knows how much NU relies on Omaha for fan support. Of course is silly to compare Jacks/Huskers in football, but SDSU must establish a similar fan relationship with Sioux Falls. I don't think that in basketball, it's all that far off. I think it was just two years ago that the State-u game in Brookings outdrew both Creighton and the Huskers, who had home MO Valley and Big XII games the same night. Granted, Creighton wasn't in the QWest Center and NU was just starting to turn it around a little, but it's still fun to point out.
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

That is interesting about lincoln not having a discount airline.  I thought they did.  I agree they are both about an hour away from each other although omaha is about 700k in metro area and I suspect sioux falls is at best 150k.  Interesting about how sioux falls has better air service than lincoln.
                          Also, in fairness to sdsu I have been to about 8 men's home sdsu bb games over the years and most have been attended on about the same level as the pre-qwest days Creighton games I have attended (especially the pre dana altman days) which is pretty impressive.

Comment

Working...
                          X