Running Rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Rabbits

The 2004 version of SDSU's Cross Country team will be missing standout Brad Lowery. Lowery is taking this Fall off to rest his leg. Lowery strained his hamstring in a race in Los Angeles early this summer, in his bid for the Olympic Trials. He was on track to make the trials and was surging to the front in a 1500 meter race, on pace for a 3:38 (that's about a 3:55 to 3:56 mile equivalent) when the muscle starting giving him serious trouble.

Lowery will enter some races as an independent runner.

Re: Running Rabbits

JackJD:

Yesterday's Yankton paper had the below article about a transfer to USD. Do you have any insight on why this transfer occurred? Does a course of study enter into this decision?

Keating Leaves SDSU For South Dakota

VERMILLION -- Kaylee Keating of Sioux Falls has transferred to The University of South Dakota where she will compete in the Coyote women's track and field program.

Keating, who was part of the South Dakota State women's track and field/cross country program in 2003-04, will be a junior at USD. Last fall, Keating finished 43rd at the NCAA Division II Championships. She had a clocking of 23:09.06. At the 2004 NCC Outdoor Meet, she was fifth in the 3,000-meters with a clocking of 10:31.19. She was also 11th in the 1,500 meter run in 4:53.45. At the 2004 NCC Indoor Meet, Keating was sixth in the 3,000 meter run in 10:37.13 and 12th in the mile with a clocking of 5:31.74.

"Kaylee (Keating) is an outstanding distance runner and we are very pleased she has joined our program," said USD head women's coach Lucky Huber. "She is an especially talented student-athlete with proven success. By coming to USD, she will have the opportunity to continue to compete for championships in the North Central Conference and NCAA Division II," he said.

At Sioux Falls Roosevelt, Keating earned NHSACA High School All-American honors. She had 40 wins in varsity cross country and she is a six-time cross country all-state and all-conference performer. She was conference cross country champion from 1996-99.

While running for head coach Kristi Rieger and Heidi Johnson, she twice (1999, 2000) finished second at the South Dakota Cross Country Championships. A five-time state placer in cross country, she was third in 1998, sixth as a freshman in 1997 and fourth as an eighth-grader in 1996. She finished 59th in 1999 and 69th in 2000 at the Footlocker Midwest Regional Cross Country Championships in Kenosha, Wisc.

At the South Dakota State Track Meet, she won the 3,200 meter state title (Gold Medal) in 1997. She was third in 1998 and fourth in 1999 in the 3,200 meters at the state AA meet. In 2000, she was third in the 3,200 meter run and fourth in the 1,600 meter run at the Class AA meet.

Keating was named 2002 Academic All-State in 2002. A 2002 Pepsi/Marquette Athletic Scholarship recipient, she received the 2002 Young Kiwanian Award and was a member of a 2001 Rotary Club. She was a member of her high school volleyball and soccer teams. Keating also was a member of the Dakota Gold Club Soccer team (1994-99).

Comment

Re: Running Rabbits

I'm not sure. I could probably make some educated guesses (I have one son who's a senior on the team and another who is joining so I probably hear things) . But, bottom line: Kaylee's a nice kid and I hope she does well. USD's women lost a couple of key people to graduation and they need some replacements.

Keep in mind USD's Men's Coach, Dave Gottsleben, is a 'Rabbit ('75): Sprinter on Jay Dirksen's track teams.

Comment

Working...
      X