Argus D-I Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus D-I Series

The Argus is doing a series on our move to D-I. Here are highlights from story #1.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle2.shtml

For one day, at least, soccer team belongs
    Chris Solari
    Argus Leader

published: 8/29/2004

Despite loss, South Dakota State women upbeat about performance vs. Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Editors' note: This is the first of a series chronicling South Dakota State's move to Division I from a variety of viewpoints.

MILWAUKEE - Heather Hill arrived at South Dakota State late this summer after leading the state high school ranks in scoring last year.

She's still awaiting her first collegiate goal, just like SDSU is awaiting its first in Division I. But as the Jackrabbits lost 2-0 against Wisconsin-Milwaukee in their season and D-I debut Friday night, Hill hopes she made a larger, more general statement about South Dakota athletes going against top-level competition.

The 5-foot-5 freshman from Spearfish started as SDSU's lone forward, flashing explosive speed and agility while scooting up and down the field stride-for-stride with the cat-quick Panthers.

"That's why we're so proud of ourselves, to come out here and show what we did," Hill said. "It's great to represent South Dakota and South Dakota State University."

She's not alone. Sophomore Maggie Eilers from Brookings and freshman Lisa Robinson from Spearfish also played significant roles in the game. They are joined by freshman Christine Wey, also from Brookings, to form the largest contingent of South Dakotans on a Jackrabbit squad in the program's five-year history.

"It definitely was one of our selling points," coach Lang Wedemeyer said of his recruitment of the players. "I think that several of the girls we have gotten came here because we were going to Division I."

Eilers, a defender, played alongside Hill on Dakota Gold club teams the last few years and knows plenty about the soccer talent in the state. Having heard often that South Dakota athletes can't compete at the D-I level, she quickly cites a different kind of football player - former SDSU kicker Adam Vinatieri - to debunk that theory.

"It's all a mindset," said Eilers, a 5-4 defender. "I knew I was going to play soccer, and my dream when I was a little kid was that I wanted to play in a professional league. As you get older, you realize how unrealistic that is, but you work harder. The harder you work, you can become anything you want to be."

Robinson, another 5-5 midfielder/forward, pointed out that the Jacks held UW-Milwaukee to a scoreless first half as proof that the team can be successful throughout the move to Division I. The Panthers won the Horizon League's regular-season title last year and are again picked to win the conference title this fall.

"That was a great experience, to play for the first time in the first D-I game," Robinson said. "I think we held our ground that whole first half and in the beginning of the second half. And it was only 2-0. We had so many opportunities."

The opportunity to avenge that loss will come quickly and often. Including today's game against Marquette here in Milwaukee, the Jackrabbits will play nine of their next 11 games on the road against Division I opponents. They also visit the Minnesota Golden Gophers on Oct. 29. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Argus D-I Series

I am glad that Chris is apparently on the road and following our Soccor team.  I think that affirms Randall Becks comments about additional coverage of SDSU.

Also this morning Stu Whitney has a large feature on D1 scholarships. Its hard to say how this article helps SDSU. The conversation is on how parents invest thousands of dollars sending their offspring to camps and AAU tournies in order to to get D1 exposure and hopefully a full ride.

Stu seems to imply that D2 programs are the alternative to this expensive investment.  Also the full ride misconception is explored and discussed.
    Printed off its a 9 page article.  Here is the link:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle2.shtml

Comment

Interesting article. Filled with much truth. They talk about SDSU a lot but don't talk to anyone from our school. :-/ Some of our former NCC foes did take a few shots at us in the hopes of helping their recruiting situation, but no big deal.

http://www.argusleader.com/chasing_t...yfeature.shtml

The base premise is correct that as athletes move up in compition (Middle School to High School to College to Pro) the opportunities go down. I do think it is important for all athletes and parents to understand this. It is not a NAIA, D-II, or D-I thing, it is just how it is.

The NCAA has an add out right now that I like. It shows athletes competing and then shows the same kid doing their class work. It ends with a figure of how many kids graduate each year and how must will "turn Pro" in something other then their sport.

As long as the kid is having fun and has realistic expectations let them go for it. If they are doing what they want to do then the scholarships are gravy.

Go State! ;D

Comment

89 rabbit:

Thanks for reposting the link, I think I got my wrong.

This article is right on the main points.  Since I have never been a parent and not likely to be one in the remainder of my life, I can very easily jump all over parents for their opinions and attitudes.  Stu has hit on a few of them.  

Getting a D1 scholarship in B10 or B12 is without a doubt a marketing investment that may take thousands of dollars.

One of the joys of being a Jack fan was getting acquainted with Denny Esling, the father of Casey Esling.  He told that after going to several camps they hired a career evaluator. Not necessary an agent who for a fee evaluated Casey's high School videos.  This evaulator's conclusion was that Casey could possibly play in the Mo Valley, but he advised looking at the NCC where he thought for sure he would be able to play.  Casey did have a great career  at SDSU and the family occassionally still shows up in Brookings for a game.  They have to come from Cedar Rapids Iowa, a long drive.

I think some of these evaluators if they are worth their salt can help a family and student come to realistic conclusions.

There some parents who expect coaches to show up on their door, but if they dont let anyone know, how can that happen? :-/.

I suppose there are some who buy the full ride concept hook, line and sinker, but consider health insurance, you pay premuims and if you have a claim, there is also is co-insurance portions to pay.  Hardly a free ride.  Why would athletic scholarships be different? :-/ ;D

Comment

Who cares how much it costs to be visible to a DI school? Maybe the student-athletes (or their parents, as well) want to compete at the highest level they are capable (that's DI for college athletics). I doubt the top track and field athletes in the United States say, "I'm happy participating in the Pan-Am games. I really have no desire to compete in the Olympics." Same goes for football- the top college athletes want to be in the NFL. They don't set their sites on the CFL or AFL. :

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
            Who cares how much it costs to be visible to a DI school? Maybe the student-athletes (or their parents, as well) want to compete at the highest level they are capable (that's DI for college athletics). I doubt the top track and field athletes in the United States say, "I'm happy participating in the Pan-Am games. I really have no desire to compete in the Olympics." Same goes for football- the top college athletes want to be in the NFL. They don't set their sites on the CFL or AFL.  :
            somebison:
            I dont think Stu Whitney nor I were questioning the costs. He was saying it could be the wrong investment for most people. How many make the NFL? Lots of rosters being trimmed as we speak. Those that hang can pay their bills, the others either go to Europe, go home or try another franchise that makes an offer. So back to hight athletes, you have a ton who never got a shot at a D1 scholarship, let alone a tryout with an NFL franchise.

The arguement could be made that you dont have to be D1 grad to make the NFL. An example would be Phil Hansen. Phil made it by just hard work and talent and coming from a power house D2 program. No doubt he had to learn a ton of new things when he hit the NFL, as few if any NFL franchises were running much option football. I think people such as Phil, have had an open mind willing to work hard and learn new offenses and have had a career in the NFL. The same could be said of any other former NCC player who has played in the NFL.

Comment

Here is part II of Stu Whitney series on scholarships. In this one he talks with Dr. Oien. Another good story. Well worth the time to read.

http://www.argusleader.com/chasing_t...yfeature.shtml

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
              X