Argus Leader Soccer Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader Soccer Story

The Argus Leader has a very good story on SDSU's first D-! game. In spite of the loss there are some great comments and quotes on the importance of the game to SDSU and the State. The story is on the front page of the main section rather than the sports page.

Here is the link

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Saturdayarticle2.shtml

Thanks for the coverage Chris.

Re: Argus Leader Soccer Story

Since the Argus doesn't archive here are some highlights from the story that Rabbit74 posted.

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Saturdayarticle2.shtml

SDSU soccer women lose D-I game, make state history
    Chris Solari
    Argus Leader

published: 8/28/2004

MILWAUKEE - History usually isn't made in ponytails and shin guards, but 18 women wearing blue-and-white soccer uniforms doubled as South Dakota pioneers Friday night.

Names as unusual as Eilers, Rahe and Scharfenkamp and as common as Brown, Davis and Hill will forever be linked in the South Dakota State annals as the university's first Division I athletes.

The Jackrabbits lost 2-0 to Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the inaugural D-1 contest for any South Dakota school.

"I don't think it has really set in yet, how big of an impact this is for the whole state," senior Amy Goodrich said afterward. "We're not just representing our school, but

the whole state of South Dakota.

"We're the last state out of the whole United States to have a D-I program, so it's pretty special."

With an urban sprawl of high-rises, rush-hour traffic and rail yards on the Marquette University campus, the Jackrabbit women trotted onto a lush, green pitch at the Valley Fields complex and kicked off the ball to begin the Milwaukee Cup. No one really thought an SDSU victory was

likely. Of the school's 20 varsity sports, women's soccer is the newest, in only its fifth year. There are six seniors on the roster, the program's

first recruits. The rest are sophomores and freshmen.

Yet cheered on through the jitters by more than a dozen fans, coach Lang Wedemeyer's club held its own.

"A lot of what we are doing this season is setting that foundation for this move to Division I," said Wedemeyer, who played at Division I Old Dominion University. "Obviously, we're on a learning curve. We're learning to set our expectations and set our standards and develop that culture that is going to help make us successful in the future."

SDSU made the decision a year ago to leave the North Central Conference and Division II, and the NCAA officially recognized it as a Division I institution on July 1. . . .

"I think it's exciting for the kids," said Lori Eilers of Brookings, who made the drive to watch her daughter, Maggie, with husband, Mike, and son, Taylor. "It's exciting for me as a parent."

Three groups of parents carpooled to get to the game. Pat and Teri Rahe drove from Kearney, Neb., to Omaha Thursday night and stayed with Al and Jean Scharfenkamp. The four of them then woke up Friday morning and headed to Coralville, Iowa, to meet Doug and Cindy Goodrich. From there, the six hopped in a van and made it to Milwaukee by mid-afternoon.

"I wouldn't have missed this for the world," said Jean Scharfenkamp, who was fidgety and anxious in the bleachers throughout the game. . . .

The production on the field may have been skewed toward the Panthers, but a 0-0 halftime tie did everything to show SDSU can hang with the big girls. Senior Molly Scharfenkamp proved that by blocking a wicked shot with her stomach that prevented what could have been a goal as the final few seconds of the period evaporated.

"Defensively, we're a strong team. But that was definitely a booster going in 0-0 at halftime," senior midfielder Michelle Rahe said. "It should have been 0-0 the whole game."

Less than seven minutes into the final half, Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Andrea Kramer broke the deadlock by booting a ball past a diving Davis for the first goal. Taylor Powell headed home the Panthers' final tally with 16:46 remaining in the game to seal the SDSU loss. To the Jacks' coaching staff, this is one of the toughest opponents they'll face all season on a schedule with 11 Division I foes, including Marquette here on Sunday.

As Friday's final horn sounded, the valiant Jackrabbits walked away, drenched in sweat and covered with grass and dirt stains. They might have a long way to go at the major league level of intercollegiate athletics, but the women more than adequately represented that little Division I college on the hill.

"It's a really, really big change, but we can definitely make it to that level," Maggie Eilers said. "I have no doubt about it."

Nice job Ladies, now go beat Marquette! ;D

Comment

Maybe its because its the first D1 event, but I think the Argus did a great job covering the soccer game. I suspect Coach Wedemeyer has already learned a number of things about where the program has to go after just one match. Our ladies showed great courage keeping this great team scoreless for one half. Apparently they were up against a very team.

If our athletes believe that we can compete at this level then, thats all that matters.

I hope our football team will keep their head high all season as they have a schedule ahead of them that has the potential to break spirits. One upset will do wonders for momentum and direction. ;D

Comment

Big time effort in Marquette loss, here are highlights of the Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Mondayarticle5.shtml

SDSU goalkeeper sets record in loss

Despite a record-setting performance by goalkeeper Jenn Davis, the South Dakota State women's soccer team closed out play in the Milwaukee Cup with a 1-0 loss to Marquette on Sunday.

Davis, a sophomore from Raytown, Mo., set an SDSU single-game record with 20 saves. The old record was 18, set by Brittany Frazier against MSU-Mankato in 2001. . . .

Marquette is 1-1. SDSU is 0-2. SDSU visits Creighton on Saturday.

Go State, beat the BlueJays! ;D

Comment

A couple of nice performances by the Jackrabbits. No doubt they will gain some respect with these showings. Creighton will be one tough game. When is the last time college soccer got this kind of exposure in the Argus? I would venture to say never. Again, this illustrates the significants of the move to DI and how it will expose many more people to SDSU.

I believe losses at the DI level are as valuable as a playoff appearance in DII. Think about this before replying.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
          X